This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Greetings, I'm a Frog Eater 37 YO, and searching to repair my samsung 24" and see more information is in this forum (well I'm not skill enough in Polish to understand another site). So here I am.

Comment

Hi there. I'm a retired computer tech from South Wales and I still dabble in the electronics that I was brought up on. Mind you, anything under a half watt resistor size is beyond me now as these ole peepers ain't what they were. ;-)

I've been browsing around here and this place is a goldmine. Keep it up guys! I'll pitch in whenever I can.

Comment

Hello, im new here and need help about my led TV

Comment

New to these forums, have found plenty of helpful information, I'm pretty amateur, I keep getting stuff to fix from people I know even though I have no idea to do at first, I eventually get most of them sorted out.

From laser printers, LCD TVs, gaming computer for kids to my neighbor car with bent valves and timing belt change, I do a little of everything out of good will.

I'm trying desperately putting stuff out, my to do list is huge IMO:
          • Samsung TV stuck at blinking led but eventually turns on by itself
            Samsung TV that fries power boards (I think the leds are PITA)
            Philips TV with bad power supply
            34' LG Monitor that only works once, if you turn it off then you have to unplug it from the power wallet and wait a couple of hours before turning it back on
            Yamaha receiver with fried input, output is okay, it's usually the other way around

And that's it, what might have a *badcap*!

But, I'm just an IT Administrator

Comment

Hello there. I'm here with some high resolution of a very low resolution and low quality budget Blaupunkt LED TV.

Comment

Hi, I'm new

Comment

Hi everyone, pleased to be aboard. I'm a diy enthusiast i guess...

I enjoy...
                Maintaining and fixing my modest collection of bmws, i used to do a lot of home electronics when i was a teen..

I love...
                music and adore high fidelity. I run a raspberry pi distributed music network at home (sort of diy sonos).

I hate...
                Throwing kit away and get a very righteous and satisfied feeling when i fix stuff.

I wish...
                Manufacturers would make their stuff more easily serviceable, with free and open access to knowledge.

I'm self taught - and love what the internet has done for those willing to learn (it's what being human is all about).

If the fix isn't working or if you get stuck... put it down for a day, have a decent coffee and have a think. come back fresh - it's amazing how the subconscious mind can work.

Comment

hello
                  im janseer
                  from kasaragod, kerala,india
                  i found this forum while searching for a solution to my bad lcd tv

Comment

Hello! I just got here, looking for some bios that I can flash for my laptop

Comment

Hi All ! I'm Max from Brazil and my hobby is fixing things so they dont end in the trash prematurely.

I have fixed several LCD & LED monitors and tvs. Most of them for free & fun.

Hope to find tips about strange problems that are not straight forward.

Comment

Hi everyone! Thanks for this excellent resource and community, hopefully I can make good use of it.

Comment

Hello. My name is Nazar. I'm 20 years old. I live in Ukraine. I love technology. I have many questions and wait for answers to them. Sorry for mistakes!

Comment

Hey dudes! Nick from NJ here.
                            IT hardware and software tech, videographer and video editor.

Looking to get to know you guys!

Comment

Hi there joining this site as I'm having some issues with my TV and so many of my search results have led me here. But none are quite similar to my issue

Comment

Hello from London to everyone at Badcaps; I've just joined the forum.

I benefitted from reading your advice a few years ago, where it helped me identify that my old Asus A8N-SLI board was failing to boot due to the electrolytics leaking. I replaced them all and it was good-as-new. I have paid attention to the quality of the caps on new boards now…

I started playing with electronics when I was a kid. That was building (and destroying!) radios and audio circuits, then building a 6502 machine which had only a hex keypad! I had an informal apprenticeship with a TV service engineer when I was 16. He taught me how to repair 80s equipment such as CRT TVs and VCRs, CD players etc. I made plenty of mistakes and smoke but avoided getting zapped.

So now, although I'm now in software, I still build my PCs and fix stuff. I've also build some replica 80s synths. Most recently that is piecing together x86 systems from 2nd hand parts. What I'm about to do is try to repair 2 bust 27” monitors purchased from eBay. For that I may benefit from some help as I'm not familiar with the circuitry and I don't know where to find the parts.

Cheers!

Comment

Newbie with 0 electronic skills. Joined while attempting to repair an auto-shutdown Acer 4738G laptop. Developer by trade.

Comment

hello newbie here! im attempting to repair my toshiba laptop hope ill find answer here,tnx!

Comment

Hi Guys!
                                      My name is Mariano and i wrote from Italy.
                                      I'm 41, and i have started to destroy electronicd things ,since 1985... :Just now i haven't a job just now, fired some month ago after 15years a medical xray company.
                                      Why i'm here? To learn something to transform a passion to job.
                                      I hope to learn and help my my little experience.
                                      ps.sorry for my bad english.

Have a nice day

Mariano

Comment

hey all I'm Lee from the UK. I have a small hobby that has me stripping........ TV's in order to fix or part them out, and hope this site will help me answer some issues and also share some of my repairs etc. with others I am in no way qualified just a hobbyist lol.
                                        hope you are all well and look forward to picking your brains lol

Comment

Here are some more things i fixed by replacing electrolytics:

I managed to fix our old gas boiler by replacing one electrolytic cap.. The service company wanted £200 for a new PCB so i fixed it for 50p. It had a design where the cap was being pumped and discharged repeatedly, not just smoothing. Unfortunately.. my wife subsequently ordered the whole boiler to be replaced anyway

I fixed an old Gould digital storage scope by replacing the main electrolyic PSU cap amongst other components. I still have the scope. Bit of a fiddle to fix a scope if you only have one! I thought I might switch to a USB one, but this one does have a good front end (preamp) which allows you to measure upto 1kV or so.

When i was a kid i made a valve (tube) amp but didn't know the energy equation for caps (CV^2/2) at the time, so i just thought, if a low voltage PSU needs 1,000uF cap, so does a high voltage one... That was a dangerous piece of kit! It does show you that it is important to understand the theory, not just how to solder (I have an engineering degree now!).

See here for explanation: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...c/capeng2.html

Can we talk about fixing stuff other than caps?

Comment

Working...
                                          X