Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing a broken W10 disk remotely

Hi All,

I am trying to fix a friends PC that originally had W7 and then was 'upgraded' to W10. It now wont run properly. I have tried repairing it by Windows recovery but it just gets stuck and hangs. Booting from W10 installation disc also hangs.

On the same PC I have now installed W10 on a formated HD and have connected the damaged disc which now appears as F:

Is there a way I can repair the original HD W10 installation remotely in this configuration?

If so what would this technique be called?

Many thanks

Re: Fixing a broken W10 disk remotely

dont know about doing it remotely but i would try a boot repair first .. something like this one ... https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/det...sk_64_bit.html

Comment

like this:

Comment

It might be possible to fix remotely, if you know what the problem is.
        "Won't run properly" gives no clue as to the issue.

From experience you'll be better off copying over his files and installing 10 from scratch.

Comment

I've downloaded and am running the boot repair application disk from MajorGeeks.

The message on the screen is:
          'creating a bootinfo summery this may take several minutes'
          It's been running for several hours.

My first thought was to copy off the user data and format and reload W10 but it reports that the disk is encrypted.

Using a spare HD ive loaded a fresh version of W10 and created a admin user account using the same name and password as the owner. I've then attached the original HD which has mounted as F:. When I browse F:\users\ and try and copy the directory to the C: drive I get a message: 'You need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder'

Comment

You possibly need to take ownership of the files you want to copy before you copy them.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
              You possibly need to take ownership of the files you want to copy before you copy them.
              Sorry, how do I do that?

Comment

Put the original drive on a different SATA port and unplug the other drive.Boot from the win10 install disk again and see if it gets any further.On the next screen click on select repair then troubleshoot
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I ran the boot repair app once again and it reported that it had fixed the problem.

I rebooted the original disc and ended up with the same issue where I can log in using an administrator account.

The desktop appears along with the message below:

If I click the OK in the message it just repeats.

Clicking on the Start button does nothing. Same with the task bar search box.

The only way I can shut down the PC is via CTRL+ALT+DEL

Tomorrow I try repairing the HD from the W10 installation disc.
                  AAMOI why the different SATA port?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Nevillet; 02-16-2021, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevillet View Post
                    I ran the boot repair app once again and it reported that it had fixed the problem.

I rebooted the original disc and ended up with the same issue where I can log in using an administrator account.

The desktop appears along with the message below:

If I click the OK in the message it just repeats.

Clicking on the Start button does nothing. Same with the task bar search box.

The only way I can shut down the PC is via CTRL+ALT+DEL

Tomorrow I try repairing the HD from the W10 installation disc.
                    AAMOI why the different SATA port?
                    https://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-...in-windows-10/

Comment

OK I think i'm getting there, I managed to replace the missing Desktop folder.

I can now navigate to the user files and copy them off. The Windows install is pretty crippled so once all the files are copied off i'll format and reinstall W10.

Many thanks to all.

Comment

well done

Comment

Cheers guys.
                          I couldn't have got there without your help.
                          Sincere thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevillet View Post
                            OK I think i'm getting there, I managed to replace the missing Desktop folder.

I can now navigate to the user files and copy them off. The Windows install is pretty crippled so once all the files are copied off i'll format and reinstall W10.

Many thanks to all.
                            Was this from an update or malware or were you hacked or user error or something else
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                            10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                            6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                            1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                            25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                            6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply
                            1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                            2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                            All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

It's a common issue when fixing a friend's computer, see his original post.

Comment

Working...
                              X