X550CC no PWM for +VGFX_CORE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X550CC no PWM for +VGFX_CORE

Asus K550C - X550CC_V2 MB turns ON, no image.
    Now, the power sequence tests fine except for the last step: +VGFX_CORE is absent. The controller is not sending the PWM signals for the upper and lower MOSFETs. So, what else is necessary to trigger those PWMs?

One other fault: the fan starts spinningupon power up, but after a while it speeds up and down as if controlled by a ramp wave (rising sawtooth).
    This happened after reflashing the Bios. Does it have to do with the ME Region?

Thanks in advance.

Re: X550CC no PWM for +VGFX_CORE

One more question: +NVVDD (NVidea Vdd?) is only 0.9V... is it the right voltage? Seems kind of low...

Comment

Ah and the Caps Lock LED is always lit!

Comment

+NVVDD 0.9V is OK. Technically, the range is 0.6v~1.2v.

The absence of +VCCGT (VGFX_CORE) may be normal on boards with discrete graphics.

If all voltages are OK then can be really a BIOS issue or a bad EEPROM. You can try flashing a known good BIOS to a new IC to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Appreciated the prompt reply! There´s a number of different .bin files for this MB so I´m going to order a Pomona 5250 and a few 25Q64s and hopefully hit the right one. I´ll report back.

Comment

EEPROMs arrived, 5250 clip not yet, but already flashed a new chip. And, soldered it the wrong way. Now it's OK, but there is a short across a few caps and a chip is getting hot. Can't install Boardviewer at work, so I can't see right now what chip it is. It's meant to convert the 19V to 3 and 5V though. So the shorted cap(s) must be at these outputs. I'll remove the caps one by one in the hope the chip is still fine.
            Attached Files

Comment

EC dead.

Comment

yep the EC is dead

Comment

Yeah, after removing all suspect caps and the buck controller, the short was still across the +3VAO line. It was the EC +3VA inputs shorting the controller's outputs.
                  What is puzzling is why placing the BIOS the wrong way could cause such an issue. BTW the BIOS looks fine.

Comment

Pin4 of bios chip is gnd-thats why the damage when u place it in wrong orientation.

Comment

Sure, it's like with the DIL8 single supply opamps. Pin 4 is supposed to be grounded for it to work but it's not ground in itself, right? Even if pin 4 presented a too low resistance to the +3.3V line, it would be protected by the current limiting resistor. I mean, that series resistance would also present a safe load to the source of that voltage (EC I believe).

Comment

Working...
                      X