Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best cheap way to cool AMD FirePro S7000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best cheap way to cool AMD FirePro S7000?

Got these for a very attractive price, my problem is they are passively cooled and I need to find a way to cool them. The S7000 is pretty much identical to the FirePro W7000, except that it has less DisplayPorts and it's meant to be used in rackmount servers with noisy high CFM fans running at full blast all the time.

I was thinking laptop CPU fans but most of them are 5V and I was hoping for 12V so I could control them via software.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shovenose; 11-22-2021, 09:44 AM.

Re: Best cheap way to cool AMD FirePro S7000?

Many of the 5v laptop fans can take 12v (I've done it a time or two diddling with things)...they naturally just spin faster....and for that, you'll probably need it....but FWIW, power it with 5v and leave it be.... It'll be quiet.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Hmm, ok, thanks. I ordered two matching ones that looked like a good fit off eBay. $10 each free shipping for name brand Sunon fan. For some sorta HP ProBook. Should be alright. I'll post how it turns out!

Comment

You know active display ports can be chained right? Or you can use a DP -> Multi HDMI converter
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
          You know active display ports can be chained right? Or you can use a DP -> Multi HDMI converter
          For $50 for an adapter not worth it :'( hence why I ended up with two cards. I will simply put one monitor per card.

Comment

2 fans in series, or use a dropping res.

Comment

Originally posted by desert-rat View Post
              2 fans in series, or use a dropping res.
              That's an idea too. Hmm. Will try just powering them directly from 5V if it's not noisy I'll leave it like that if it is you're right I could use a fan controller and put them in series. Smart!

Now I just hope my old Antec EA380D is up to the task of powering my computer with two 150W GPUs. Lol. I did reverse the 80mm fan on that PSU a long time ago because of the way it is in my case reverse airflow makes far more sense.
              Last edited by shovenose; 11-22-2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Just a FYI, a ~50ohm resistor will get it about where you want if you're feeding it from the +12v rail.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Years ago my dad used a under dash evap with a 6v fan on a 12 v vec. ( late 60s ) he took some old nicrome wire from an old heater . He played with the lenth untill he got 6 v on thefan .

Comment

Well, the laptop fans were fine in terms of cooling but way too loud at 5V :/ going to try a new approach...
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                      Well, the laptop fans were fine in terms of cooling but way too loud at 5V :/ going to try a new approach...
                      That's actually a nice fit.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                        That's actually a nice fit.
                        I know, it is definitely quite nice looking. Unfortunately it was just too noisy. I left that pretty but whiny solution on one of my cards and put it in one of my servers where it will be useful but noise doesn't matter. The one in my PC where noise does matter got this ugly solution. I JB-Welded some random old CPU cooler to it. The Noctua 80mm fan even at full blast is very quiet. Some fan noise is audible through the case but it's barely noticeably vs the screaming noise of that laptop fan. The downside is it now uses up four slots so not really useful long term as I had to ditch my USB 3.1 type-C card and my sound card.

Now that I have proof of concept and the dual displays work in a sort of hybrid GPU/passthrough setup through my Intel iGPU I'm going full steam on a better graphics card. Unfortunately I kinda failed to do my research beforehand (like usual, I seem to never learn) and the AMD S7000/W7000 doesn't support everything I need so I'm going with a Tesla M40 instead. The good thing is I can just put the ugly S7000 in my server and sell the other one I didn't hack up back on eBay or something.
                        Attached Files

Comment

If anyone else has a working S7000 and a dead Asus HD6970, the cooler from the HD6970 works great. Just FYI. Haha.

Comment

Working...
                          X