Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Game Consoles & Other Weird Devices
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
TahoeEd
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Monterey, CA
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 11
Default GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

My GE Profile dual wall oven display had become dim over time, to the point where you could barely read the display by cupping your hands around it. Some googling suggested bad caps could be the issue, so I decided to recap the control board. The display is now bright and back to normal. Here's the summary of my repair.
  1. Turn off power to the oven.
  2. Remove the control panel. Take LOTS of pictures of the wiring before you start unplugging wires from the control panel.
  3. Measure all the capacitors, put oven back together.
  4. Order caps and wait.
  5. Do the full repair. Reinstall carefully.
There's plenty of information about how to actually solder and replace caps, so I won't go over that here.

Here's the notes of each cap I replaced:
Location Brand Model Voltage (V) Capacitance (uF) Diameter (mm) Length (mm) Temp ©
C24 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
C25 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
C10 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
C2 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
C1 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
C9 ELNA RJ4 16 470 8 12 105
C3 NLC NRWA 35 330 10 17 105
C5 ELNA RJ4 16 3300 13 24 105
C8 ELNA RJ4 16 470 8 12 105
C4 ELNA RJ3 50 100 8 12 105
C34 ELNA 50 0.47 4 7 105

I replaced them with Nichicon UHE series. I wanted to go with something higher than a 105C rating, but everything that was 125 or more was also 10mm rather than 8mm diameter. The 3300uF cap was longer than the original, but there's plenty of space back there. The UHE are 7000hrs at 105, and the RJ3s I replaced are 1000hours. I figure the oven lasted a good 13+ years, so this would be fine. Oh, the caps and control panel were all from 1996, but I bought the oven pre-owned and almost unused and installed it around 2003. The display was fine from 2004 to 2017. UHEs were also in stock at mouser ready to ship, and I wanted to keep everything from the same series.

Some notes:
  • Unscrew 6 screws and lift the panel straight up to release it.
  • Take LOTS of pictures of the wiring. I probably have 10 pictures from different angles to make sure I didn't miss something. I triple-checked every wire before I powered up the oven again.
  • There was plenty of room for 10mm caps if you prefer higher temp ratings.
  • I had to unclip the PCB from the plastic bracket, and bend it over to get access to the soldering underneath.
  • Be very careful with the control panel. Everything is old and fragile and delicate. One screw mount broke on me and needed to be superglued back together.
  • The ribbon cable releases by lifting a small tab on each end of the connector about 1/8". Be gentle and don't force anything.
  • A solder pad lifted up and I needed to fix that carefully. Again, go slow.
  • The old caps were featherweight compared to the new ones. They've had a long, hot life and likely were just dried up.
  • Watch polarity on installing. Don't trust that the PCB will be CLEARLY labelled.
  • Did I mention turning off the power? Don't mess around with 240VAC.
  • I didn't test which capacitor(s) failed. I figured since all the work is getting to the control panel, might as well just replace everything.
  • Clean the glass and display while it's all apart. Years of dust and stuff got in there, and it looks nicer now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panel Removal - Copy.jpg (425.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Ribbon cable.jpg (525.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Old Caps.jpg (756.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Old and New Caps.jpg (548.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Top of PCB.jpg (864.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Underside of PCB.jpg (680.9 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg New Caps Installed.jpg (552.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Fixed display.jpg (502.4 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg New Caps from Mouser.jpg (718.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Wiring Pictures (10).jpg (427.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Dim display.jpg (586.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Soldering Station.jpg (691.9 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by TahoeEd; 12-17-2017 at 02:41 PM..
TahoeEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Andrew F. Ali
Badcaps Veteran
 
Andrew F. Ali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
City & State: Point Fortin
My Country: Trinidad & Tobago
Line Voltage: 125VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 2,429
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Good job. Useful information. Thanks.
Andrew F. Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:31 AM   #3
goodpsusearch
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
City & State: Thessaloniki, Greece
My Country: Greece
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 2,020
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Thanks for sharing!
goodpsusearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
heytaes
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
City & State: Cupertino, CA
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 2
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeEd View Post
My GE Profile dual wall oven display had become dim over time, to the point where you could barely read the display by cupping your hands around it. Some googling suggested bad caps could be the issue, so I decided to recap the control board. The display is now bright and back to normal. Here's the summary of my repair.

I know this is an old thread but this info might be helpful to others with bad caps.

My original GE oven dim display problem: https://youtu.be/JPWYayvzsr8

After the fix: https://youtu.be/om6grIQwi0A

I've searched high and low on the Internet for a dim display fix for our 22 yrs old GE Profile dual oven. There are lots of posts about replacing a vague C3 capacitor, but all of the post's uF/voltage values didn't match ours so I didn't trust their fixes applied to my model (JTP56B0W2). I came across TahoeEd's (OP) detailed post about his fix, and after emailing him and verifying that his components matched the ones on my PCB, I knew I was finally on the right track. (btw, he told me that after 3 yrs, his fix is still working well)

Because of TahoeEd's thorough documentation, I ordered and replaced all 11 caps also. BUT, I replaced only 3 at a time, then tested the display each time (just connect the 110vac power line at the bottom-left corner of the PCB w/out connecting anything else to see the display), to try to isolate which cap group is the actual culprit. The bad one is in the group of the 3 highlighted in my pictures and they are listed below. I really appreciated TahoeEd's efforts, since it helped me out immensely. So I wanted to advance the cause by contributing in a small way...by reducing the count of suspicious caps from 11 down to 3. The culprit for mine was one of these 3 guys:

Location Brand Model Voltage (V) Capacitance (uF) Diameter (mm) Length (mm) Temp ©
C3 NLC NRWA 35 330 10 17 105
C8 ELNA RJ4 16 470 8 12 105
C34 ELNA 50 0.47 4 7 105

Due to there being plenty of room, I upgraded the caps to the ones that are rated for up to 125-degrees celcius operating temperature (blue caps in my pictures). Original rating was up to 105 celcius. Cost was only pennies more. I paid ~$10 in parts + $8 shipping on Mouser for everything. From start to finish, the repair took me about 1.25 hrs but I repeated my tests to try isolating the group of caps.

Added bonus that I didn't even realize until our first oven meal: Even the timer buzzer is louder now (confirmed by 3 family members).

Maybe this is coincidence, maybe it's not, but note that C3 is in the bad group of caps. Hmmm, interesting. So, if you're going to try this, start with replacing that one first. And if anyone else finds the exact cap that's causing this issue for our GE Profile dual ovens, please pay it forward and add your findings here.

Thanks again Ed!

Tae
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200405_151809.jpg (575.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20200405_165013.jpg (325.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20200405_161306.jpg (447.7 KB, 36 views)
heytaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #5
sam_sam_sam
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
City & State: Sunny Jacksonville FL
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120 Volts 60 HZ
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 2,725
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

One note if a unit is that old you should go ahead and replace all the capacitors on the board because all them will be in nearly the same shape as the capacitor that failed

Keep this in mind when doing this type of repairs that age and heat can kill capacitors and the cost of them is very low
__________________
9 PC LCD Monitor
6 LCD Flat Screen TV
30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
1 Dell Mother Board
15 Computer Power Supply
1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *


These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 04-06-2020 at 01:01 PM..
sam_sam_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
clearchris
Badcaps Veteran
 
clearchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
City & State: San Antonio
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120v 60hz / 240v 60hz
I'm a: Hardcore Geek
Posts: 532
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

I second sam's suggestion of replacing all the caps. My oven (not same as OP) died after only two years, I recapped with polymer caps (yay overkill!) and it has been great for I think around five years since then.
clearchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
City & State: North Springfield, Vermont
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 118-127V 59-63.5 Hz-> actualizo: pérdido de voltaje
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 5,783
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytaes View Post
I know this is an old thread but this info might be helpful to others with bad caps.

My original GE oven dim display problem: https://youtu.be/JPWYayvzsr8

After the fix: https://youtu.be/om6grIQwi0A

I've searched high and low on the Internet for a dim display fix for our 22 yrs old GE Profile dual oven. There are lots of posts about replacing a vague C3 capacitor, but all of the post's uF/voltage values didn't match ours so I didn't trust their fixes applied to my model (JTP56B0W2). I came across TahoeEd's (OP) detailed post about his fix, and after emailing him and verifying that his components matched the ones on my PCB, I knew I was finally on the right track. (btw, he told me that after 3 yrs, his fix is still working well)

Because of TahoeEd's thorough documentation, I ordered and replaced all 11 caps also. BUT, I replaced only 3 at a time, then tested the display each time (just connect the 110vac power line at the bottom-left corner of the PCB w/out connecting anything else to see the display), to try to isolate which cap group is the actual culprit. The bad one is in the group of the 3 highlighted in my pictures and they are listed below. I really appreciated TahoeEd's efforts, since it helped me out immensely. So I wanted to advance the cause by contributing in a small way...by reducing the count of suspicious caps from 11 down to 3. The culprit for mine was one of these 3 guys:

Location Brand Model Voltage (V) Capacitance (uF) Diameter (mm) Length (mm) Temp ©
C3 NLC NRWA 35 330 10 17 105
C8 ELNA RJ4 16 470 8 12 105
C34 ELNA 50 0.47 4 7 105

Due to there being plenty of room, I upgraded the caps to the ones that are rated for up to 125-degrees celcius operating temperature (blue caps in my pictures). Original rating was up to 105 celcius. Cost was only pennies more. I paid ~$10 in parts + $8 shipping on Mouser for everything. From start to finish, the repair took me about 1.25 hrs but I repeated my tests to try isolating the group of caps.

Added bonus that I didn't even realize until our first oven meal: Even the timer buzzer is louder now (confirmed by 3 family members).

Maybe this is coincidence, maybe it's not, but note that C3 is in the bad group of caps. Hmmm, interesting. So, if you're going to try this, start with replacing that one first. And if anyone else finds the exact cap that's causing this issue for our GE Profile dual ovens, please pay it forward and add your findings here.

Thanks again Ed!

Tae
The board photos posted, have much different manufacturing time codes for what I believe are the relays. Is that much later, from 2006? Did you change them?
__________________
MSI B450 Tomahawk

Ryzen 7 "Matisse" 3700X

16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 SDRAM

MSI Gaming X Radeon RX5600XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB NVMe SSD




"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr"!" -mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 04-07-2020 at 10:22 AM..
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #8
heytaes
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
City & State: Cupertino, CA
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 2
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
The board photos posted, have much different manufacturing time codes for what I believe are the relays. Is that much later, from 2006? Did you change them?
Not me and I have to reason to think anyone else had been in there before. I believe the ovens were installed in 1998 when the house was built.
heytaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #9
griminal
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
City & State: Bangor, Michigan
My Country: United States
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 1
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytaes View Post
Maybe this is coincidence, maybe it's not, but note that C3 is in the bad group of caps. Hmmm, interesting. So, if you're going to try this, start with replacing that one first. And if anyone else finds the exact cap that's causing this issue for our GE Profile dual ovens, please pay it forward and add your findings here.
Tae
I'll do my best to pay it forward. I had a display that didn't show up at all accept when the oven got to temp... then it would be slightly readable. I changed only C3 (C3 NLC NRWA 35 330 10 17 105) and my display is nice and bright again. There was visible browning on my board where C3 was. I had to scratch the traces to get the solder connections for the new capacitor right because the pad was pretty bad. (I'm sure my subpar soldering skills didn't help any.)

Thanks for the thread. Hopefully I can put off getting a new oven for a few more years.
griminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #10
smitda
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
City & State: Groton
My Country: United States
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 1
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytaes View Post
I know this is an old thread but this info might be helpful to others with bad caps.

My original GE oven dim display problem: https://youtu.be/JPWYayvzsr8

After the fix: https://youtu.be/om6grIQwi0A

I've searched high and low on the Internet for a dim display fix for our 22 yrs old GE Profile dual oven. There are lots of posts about replacing a vague C3 capacitor, but all of the post's uF/voltage values didn't match ours so I didn't trust their fixes applied to my model (JTP56B0W2). I came across TahoeEd's (OP) detailed post about his fix, and after emailing him and verifying that his components matched the ones on my PCB, I knew I was finally on the right track. (btw, he told me that after 3 yrs, his fix is still working well)

Because of TahoeEd's thorough documentation, I ordered and replaced all 11 caps also. BUT, I replaced only 3 at a time, then tested the display each time (just connect the 110vac power line at the bottom-left corner of the PCB w/out connecting anything else to see the display), to try to isolate which cap group is the actual culprit. The bad one is in the group of the 3 highlighted in my pictures and they are listed below. I really appreciated TahoeEd's efforts, since it helped me out immensely. So I wanted to advance the cause by contributing in a small way...by reducing the count of suspicious caps from 11 down to 3. The culprit for mine was one of these 3 guys:

Location Brand Model Voltage (V) Capacitance (uF) Diameter (mm) Length (mm) Temp ©
C3 NLC NRWA 35 330 10 17 105
C8 ELNA RJ4 16 470 8 12 105
C34 ELNA 50 0.47 4 7 105

Due to there being plenty of room, I upgraded the caps to the ones that are rated for up to 125-degrees celcius operating temperature (blue caps in my pictures). Original rating was up to 105 celcius. Cost was only pennies more. I paid ~$10 in parts + $8 shipping on Mouser for everything. From start to finish, the repair took me about 1.25 hrs but I repeated my tests to try isolating the group of caps.

Added bonus that I didn't even realize until our first oven meal: Even the timer buzzer is louder now (confirmed by 3 family members).

Maybe this is coincidence, maybe it's not, but note that C3 is in the bad group of caps. Hmmm, interesting. So, if you're going to try this, start with replacing that one first. And if anyone else finds the exact cap that's causing this issue for our GE Profile dual ovens, please pay it forward and add your findings here.

Thanks again Ed!

Tae
Thanks for all the details. I just repaired my GE Oven (JTP45) that had a dimmed display. I (only) replaced the capacitor C3 with the 35V 330uF 105 degree capacitor detailed above. Worked like a charm! Thanks to both of you!
smitda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:23 PM   #11
vball
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
City & State: Memphis, TN
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Posts: 1
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Great info on these posts. I have the same dimming issue and looking to replace C3. It appears the C3 cap is out of stock on mouser. Do you have the manufacturer or mouser part # I could use to look up on the mouser site for a compatible 125 degree cap?
Thanks in advance,
Joe
vball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #12
R_J
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
City & State: ☻
My Country: Canada
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 7,247
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by vball View Post
Great info on these posts. I have the same dimming issue and looking to replace C3. It appears the C3 cap is out of stock on mouser. Do you have the manufacturer or mouser part # I could use to look up on the mouser site for a compatible 125 degree cap?
Thanks in advance,
Joe
Use a 105 degree cap.
R_J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:01 PM   #13
redwire
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
City & State: Alberta
My Country: Canada
Posts: 2,133
Default Re: GE Wall Oven, Dim display capacitor repair

For C3 330uF 35V 10x16mm LS=5mm, you could use:

Nichicon UBT1V331MPD +125°C Mouser 647-UBT1V331MPD $0.86 but only 10 left in stock. Best part, long life.
United Chemi-Con EGXL350ETD331MJ20S +125°C Mouser 661-EGXL350ETD331MJ2
United Chemi-Con ELXY350ELL331MJ20S +105°C rating Mouser 661-LXY35VB331MLL
redwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Badcaps.net Technical Forums © 2003 - 2021
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:38 PM.
Did you find this forum helpful?