Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung UN65LS003 BT/Wifi issues becoming more widespread

Originally posted by NizNoz View Post
    I'm back at work.. will check when I get home later.. but I can seem to access any menu without the box connected. Perhaps I'll try getting into the service menu.
    The only voltages I checked in the box where between the SMPS and main board. They were fine as far as I could tell.
    Also, I noticed “Serdes” error counts. I have no idea what that is, but have seen some mention of Serdes in the context of fibre optics.. so maybe implicating the box?
    Whilst the the link require a Samsung account, the summary suggests it's the fiber not the box and haven't you already changed the mainboard in the OneConnect box?
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks diif! I'm registered on the site and have searched for serdes in the past with on luck.. Even googling that specific post returns a "you do not have sufficient privileges" error. Could you past a bit more of the discussion?
      Weird thing is that all the USB, Ethernet, HDMI ports seem to work fine. I haven't tried audio, and antenna ports though. I didn't change any of the One Connect box boards, only the main board inside the set itself. I tested the DC voltages going from the SMPS to the One Connext main board which wa fine.

Comment

You've changed tv boards and the one connect and the problem persists.
        Change the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
          You've changed tv boards and the one connect and the problem persists.
          Change the cable.
          No, I didn't change the OneConnect box. Just visual inspection and checked the SMPS voltages inside.

Comment

Found a bit of a workaround (for now). From one of the screenshots I posted I noticed a second Watchdog Option. “Serdes Watchdog”. After disabling this the system seems stable. All weekend without a reboot.

So I’ve been running media through all the OneConnect ports apart from digital audio and coax.. No problems, hangs or resets. Any thoughts on what this means diagnostically?

Comment

good progress! Is the wifi / BT board connected? I should have asked which / what watchdog you had turned off when you mentioned that you did earlier. You might just have a firmware issue that samsung never addressed "yet".... maybe.

Comment

Hey budwich.. Yes! I'm very happy to have a functional setup, albeit without BT/Wifi. To answer your question, no, I didn't reconnect the module. Just because it's a pain to lift this huge set every time and mess around inside. I'll probably do so before move I it out of my workspace and mount it in the lounge. I don't think it would do me any good either - BT and Wi-Fi were intermittent and it's no use having a remote that works only now and then.
                This set was released 4 years ago now, with multiple iterations since. I doubt anyone even cares about updating firmware now
                (I didn't know there were more than one watchdog :P I told you - I'm new to this!)

Comment

As with lots of "stuff", the mating of subsystems isn't always clean / good especially with marginal and age issues. A simple example from the PC world with microsoft and their use of wifi module. There were significant problems with drivers / updates. At least, in their case, user could update drivers independent of the hosting systems. Not so in this system, at least as far as I can see and I know samsung had both update and wifi issues at one time on a number of their sets during an update.... so this set might have been "orphaned" by their update process or the updates that are in it, weren't specific enough for this set which probably had a somewhat narrow market place.
                  Last edited by budwich; 05-25-2021, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Can't really argue with that It's unbelievable that a $2000+ product can acceptably be put out to pasture after a few years.

Comment

Any idea how to reset error counts?

Comment

section 4.10 provides the "suggestion". It is unclear whether it is "setable" via the regular remote or the factory remote. You can give it a try and see if you can change that entry BUT perhaps it is unwise, as sometimes bad things happen without "sure knowledge". I have only done one reset thru thru a service menu and that was for a "non-working" sharp to reset some counters.

Page 4-29 seems to indicate a value for factory reset... is there anything shown on your set? Having said this, it appears that menu and subsequent menus shown there after (especially debug) are only accessible via the factory remote keys as shown. :-(
                        However, the remotes seem pretty cheap ($10 at neweg.... maybe misleading but also lots on ebay for a bit more)... might be a worthwhile investment. Actual, with it, if I understand the SM, you will get access to the "debug" info which may provide you with more details as to why or what is failing.
                        Last edited by budwich; 05-26-2021, 04:05 AM.

Comment

I struggle to understand everything this service manual is trying to say. Bunch of abbreviated comments and conventions I'm not familiar with. Still picking up new things every time I go through it.. You're right about certain parts of the menu being accessible only through the service remote.
                          As far as that factory reset goes, I tried it out actually. Early in the the process. Clearly didn't solve any problem, but it may have reset the error counters.. I'll have to try it again.

Comment

You are trying the "factory reset" in the user menu. That is not the "factory reset" for the service menu... two different things. The user menu reset is used to reset user based changes basically copying back the "image copy" of the factory based settings. The service menu reset is used to bring the OS back to some form of "pre-condition" operating level. You need to do the SM reset to clear OS errors to see if those are impacted PLUS you will also be able to see more information about the "stati" of the system as described in the later section 4.XX. There are lots of factory remotes available on ebay... that's where I would be heading IF I was keeping this set for any length of time... especially at the prices quoted there.

Comment

Ok. I never figured that using that remote would have a different effect in the same menu. I'll definitely check fleabay out.. Any resources you're aware of that explains things in the Samsung service menu more thoroughly?

Comment

sorry, I can't "translate" it any better.... darn "foreigners"... :-) It is a "dangerous journey" in the service menu. That's why you pay $$$ for a technician to work on your set. Be careful.

The question here is although the manual indicates you need a factory service remote, are you able to get to all of the menus / data shown in 4.11.3 "factory data". The reason that I ask, is there is a "tools" button of the service remote which probably takes you towards certain pages... maybe.
                                Last edited by budwich; 05-27-2021, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I've also found some resources online that allows you to program a DIY service remote. I'll look into that when I have the time. Wow. What a rabbit hole this has become :P

Comment

Originally posted by NizNoz View Post
                                    I've also found some resources online that allows you to program a DIY service remote. I'll look into that when I have the time. Wow. What a rabbit hole this has become :P
                                    yes... basically, you use a file that outputs to the "audio out" jack on your phone which you plug in an IR blaster or equivalent. Lots of posts about successes especially with respect to LG's but probably the system will work for any IR capable set. The "rat hole" is only there if you spend a lot of money AND time getting there... :-)

Comment

Hehe.. I keep having to remind myself that time IS money :P Cuz I tend to waste it like it's free...
                                      ricout.. the link doesn't work. But judging from the url I imagine you're suggesting it's impossible to figure out the issue here?

Comment

By sheer luck I stumbled across an old Harmony One Remote that I had packed away from two moves ago.. Wierd I hadn't thought about using it before. Turns out the Samsung service menu button comes pre-programmed for this TV! Like, literally part of the downloaded, official profile of the remote for this TV. Very nice surprise (for a change).

Anyways. I see the available menus are a bit different. More options. I'll try to make sense of the service manual section that deals with this.

I checked all the options (BOM, Local Set etc) that were supposed to be set after replacing the main board and they were already all set the way they were supposed to be. I didn't see any extra ways of testing the Serdes components. Maybe I just need to explore the menus.

I enabled the non-Serdes watchdog option again and the TV remains stable. So it's clear the issue has to do with the Serdes watchdog error count being saturated (whatever that is exactly). Meanwhile I'm using everything pretty much without issue (apart from BT and wifi.. I'll connect them up again soon).

Comment

Hi all!, I'm new here. I'm glad I found this post since I'm facing the same issue with my Frame TV, the 55" version (UN55LS003). I went thru the 3 pages of posts, and was wondering if the problem was indeed solved just by disabling the Serdes Watchdog. I'll prefer to proceed that way rather than actually opening the TV and physically disconnecting the wifi/bt module. I'll need to find a Samsung IR remote or a factory remote to get into the factory menu anyway... If possible, NizNoz, could you please provide some sort of "step by step" list that I can follow to minimize going down the rabbit hole?

Thank you very much in advance for your support, it is very appreciated

Comment

Working...
                                          X