Sony XBR49X900E no picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony XBR49X900E no picture

Have a Sony XBR49X900E. Tree in yard was hit by lightning. Next day TV would not come on. Found external power supply was dead. Got a new one. TV worked fine. Few days later watching TV and picture went dark. Sound still OK, channels change OK, but can't see any picture. Still has some dark blue gray uniform glow to entire screen. Turn off TV. Next day turn on TV works normal for minute or so, then same thing, sound OK, functions OK but screen suddenly goes dark.

Do note that when TV comes on and see dim blue/gray glow if press volume control on remote, the lower left corner of screen brightens slightly. That (lower left) is where the volume bar graphic would appear if screen was displaying a normal picture. Volume does go up and down normally with the volume control, and channels change.

No difference no matter what input is selected, though I can't see what input it is as there is no picture. When hooked up to Direct TV box and I toggle to (what must be) that mode, the sound comes on with whatever channel Direct TV box is tuned to.

Do some research figure may be T Con board. Order one (used). Took TV apart, can see that backlight is on through the holes in the back of the TV.

Replace T Con board. No change, all symptoms the same. Someone at electronic parts online say sounds like main board. I get a new main board. Install, then have to download and install the software, get through that and TV starts normally no error flashing codes and gets to the music to set up a new TV, but no picture. I then replace all the other boards, LED driver, the little power board the external power 19v plugs into. Did not replace the WiFi board. Still no picture. Same glow in lower left if move volume up/down, can hear the setup music playing.

I tried unlocking the plugs for the flat ribbon cables going into the tcon board from the main board and wiggling the cables and had absolutely no reaction from the screen.

Any suggestions?

Re: Sony XBR49X900E no picture

Sometimes when the main board is not paired properly, it can cause a no picture issue. I would suggest making sure every single ribbon and cable is 100% fully functional and running the update again. If the device already ran the update and doesn't want to anymore, you can press and hold the power button for 10-30 seconds or until it turns off and back on. This will force reset the TV and allow the update to take again. If that doesn't do the trick, remove the flash drive, change the file name to upgrade_loader.pkg and try again.
    This should clear up the issue.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did initially have trouble getting the update to "take" and renamed the file as you suggested based on something I saw in a you tube video, maybe yours. The update then ran and appears to have taken as the TV boots up to the point where the Sony set up music plays. Just can not see a picture. As to whether the ever ribbon and cable is functional, I unhooked and reseated them all.

The thing that stands out is no matter what I have done I get the same appearance of the screen. It goes from the "pure black" of the TV being off to the grayish blue when you start it up. And when I move the volume up and down (which works as the sound level of the music goes up and down) there is a subtle brightening in the lower left of the screen about where the volume bar would show up if I had a picture. It is like there is a little guy down over the edge of the screen in a cave shining a light upwards making the lower left of the screen glow a little. Also when I move the up and down arrows on the remote you can see some brightness spots (big diffuse areas about 20% of the screen size) that move up and down the screen when you press the arrows. This all was exactly the same before I replaced all the boards and reloaded the software as it it now is after.

Comment

Have you tried disconnecting the ribbons between the tcon and the panel one at a time (with the TV off of course) and then turning it on? Can't remember if this model will display half a picture at a time, but it's worth a try.

Comment

It is also rare but we have seen this before where the T-con failed. Don't know what on the T-con but we had a spare and we just tried it to rule it out but it ended up working. They are cheap so we didn't bother trobleshooting it to see exactly what was the cause of the issue. And this is in addition to the main board failing and needing to be replaced. Somehow the main board knocked out the T-con.

Comment

So maybe I originally had a bad main board, it knocked out the tcon too. Then I bought another tcon put it in the set leaving in the original bad main board. The replacement tcon was knocked out by the original bad main board. Then I bought a new main board, put it in and the set still would not work because the replacement tcon board was knocked out by the original bad main board. So next step is to get another tcon board and put it in the set with the new main board?

Comment

Finally got some time to work on the TV. jjanssen7 suggested "Have you tried disconnecting the ribbons between the tcon and the panel one at a time (with the TV off of course) and then turning it on?"

I did this and the TV screen behaves exactly the same as described earlier (no picture, slight glow appears in lower left with volume key press on remote, diffuse glow appears and moves around with up and down arrow presses on remote) with one or both ribbons between the tcon and the panel disconnected. Makes no difference in the appearance of the screen whether the ribbons are connected or not.

I am still leaning toward trying another tcon. What does a screen failure look like?

Comment

Make sure your external powersupply is putting out the required voltage, sometimes just the least bit too low can keep things from working correctly.

Comment

Put in the new Tcon board (the third including the original) and still no change. Did not check voltage of power supply, but have tried two different supplies and same appearance of screen. Will check voltage in next few days, I presume spec is the nominal voltage printed on the supply?

Comment

They can be off, have seen them rated at 19 but checked at 16 or 17, a good one should read a little over 19 v.

Comment

19.3v with tv on and Sony set up music playing. I ask again, what does a failed screen look like?

Comment

Originally posted by dwlee6vn View Post
                        19.3v with tv on and Sony set up music playing. I ask again, what does a failed screen look like?
                        its android TV.. any HW change include the PSU or T-CON the set should be hard rested not reset from system menu. so all new component will be registered with firmware.

how to make hard reset.. plug the set from wall socket while its ON, wait iminute and then press power and volume minus or joystick down keep press them while you plug it in wall socket again. release the key only when the front LED change from white to green.. leave it do what it wish it may restart 2 time.

Comment

Did the hard reset as part of putting in the new main board. Also repeated it tonight. No change. Only difference Before & After the first reset was before the tv worked and you could switch channels and hear different stations sound. The picture or lack thereof actually was the same Before & After the resets.
                          Of course after putting in the new main board and doing the reset it no longer goes to the point where the TV is operational without picture it now goes to the point where it's trying to do the set up routine which I can't see because I can't see anything on the screen.
                          Is there another board in behind the black metal back of the tv?
                          I think a key clue in my diagnostics so far is there is no change in screen appearance with either one or both of the output ribbons from the tcon disconnected but no one has addressed that.

Comment

DONE...why?...bad attitude.
                            Last edited by nomoresonys; 10-29-2020, 10:22 PM.

Comment

So I just went over the entire post again and reread everything. At this point I think there is a good chance you got a bad main board. I think your new main board is defective.
                              If you want I can live test everything for you. Main board T-con and ribbons. We repair these main boards all the time, they often go out. I wouldn't be surprised if the board you got was from a cracked screen, but said cracked screen was tossed out in the first place because of a bad main board.
                              This is common and happens often.
                              I have this exact TV in the shop to live test the boards before and after repairs. As long as you can cover shipping the stuff I can plug it all up and at least confirm if the issue is the parts or if it is indeed your panel. I am more inclined to believe it is either the main board or the T-con or both than the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by dwlee6vn View Post
                                the one things i cant understand why you use external DC 19.5 V .while the Specifications AC 110-240 V, 50/60 Hz too. i think you don't have normal PSU.

this tell if yours external read 19.5V but its not sure this Voltage had enough Currents to handle the whole operation or it start normal but the currents drops down after few minutes. ( this happen same fault with Laptops the Output read 19V but with law currents thought not enough to recharge the batteries)

this could be the only answer to yours issue and the questions about remove one ribbon do the same behavior.
                                Last edited by Diah; 10-30-2020, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Nick's TV - thanks for the feedback. The main board was sold as new and unused, not at take out, bought from Gearbrokers Kansas City. Maybe I can bring the whole tv and all the boards, in a few weeks I am driving through Tucson on the way to Phoenix. Can put in in the original box and stick it in the bay under the motor home.

Do remember that during the initial failure - the TV came on and worked normally for from up to 30 seconds or a minute until it went into the everthing works but no picture just dark grayish blue glow mode that it is now permanently in. I think it did that twice or three times.

Comment

Response to Diah,

This TV has an external power supply brick that supplies 19.5v.

dwlee6vn Yeah make sure to give us a call before coming through, we do appointment only to try and limit the amount of people in shop at the same time these days. How long are you stopping in Tucson for? These boards aren't easy fixes, we wouldn't be able to get it fixed same day, but ill see if I can maybe get a main board ready to go to trade you and bring in a spare T-con as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick's Tvs View Post
                                      Response to Diah,

This TV has an external power supply brick that supplies 19.5v.
                                      so the issue 99.9% this external power supply don't have enough juice ( step up currents circuits fault) to support whole function.

Comment

Nick's TV - thanks for the offer. Have not 100% locked in travel route and timing yet, when we get it pinned down in next week or so, will let you know if we will for sure be coming though Tucson.

Comment

Working...
                                        X