IMAC 24 PSU Bad Caps replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMAC 24 PSU Bad Caps replacement

I am trying to repair the wife's IMAC 24 PSU.
    I found five bad caps
    680UF 16v LXY 10mm x 12mm
    1000UF 16v LXY 10mm x 17mm
    1500UF 16v LXY 12.5mm x 17mm

Would it be OK to replace with these available from Bad Caps or would there be better choices?

680uF 16v MCZ 10mm 13mm
    1000uF 16v MCZ 10mm 16mm
    1500uF 16v HZ 10mm 20mm

Re: IMAC 24 PSU Bad Caps replacement

Yes those should work.

Comment

This is a newer unit? 24"?

Could you post some pictures of the problems and model number of the unit?

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo processor iMac Intel 24" EMC 2111.

Comment

So, the problems continue with the newer units. Interesting.
          veritas odium parit

Comment

yup, and even worse I was surprised to see KZJ caps on the mother board.

Comment

pics of the PSU caps, sorry for the focus.
              Attached Files

Comment

KZJ doesn't surprise me. They were still being produced then. They're not a "plague" capacitor, just one that doesn't hold up well under heat. That observation was made by PCBONEZ several years ago, along with series KZG. The reason given was that they both use(d) the same electrolyte formula. Both series are deprecated now, so anything seen today would be older than 3 years, I would guess.

An Acbel PSU, I see. Looks less complicated than the old iMac G5 ones.

If you don't mind, would you please relate the AcBel API number (from the board) and the Apple part number (label)? I'm sure to start seeing these in the near future...

BTW: The 1500/16 HZ cap is a bit of overkill...

I LIKE IT!!!

Toast
                veritas odium parit

Comment

From the board;
                  API5ST06-291G
                  RO3X45-00041

From the tag;
                  FZ72401Z3X6MA

I also have a G5 Imac that seems to need caps but I just keep putting it off because we have more than enough PCs around the house right now. I think I will repair both these Imacs and sell them before I have to work on them anymore.

Comment

Thank you!

Hmmm... I thought the Apple number would be something like 661-####...?

>>because we have more than enough PCs around the house right now.<<

Never! Sacrilege!

LOL!!
                    veritas odium parit

Comment

Good news, I found the apple part number.

614-0402 which updates to 661-4183.

Bad news, replacing the blown caps did not fix my unit. I will troubleshoot further.
                      Last edited by TBI; 01-31-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Found this pic that looks just like mine.

Last edited by TBI; 01-31-2012, 02:32 PM.

Comment

You replaced all except the 2 large brown ones, correct?
                          veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                            You replaced all except the 2 large brown ones, correct?
                            I only replaced all 5 green ones as seen in my before pic from 1/9/2012. Those were the only ones that looked bad, should I replace the others except the two large brown ones?

Comment

Looks are deceiving, unfortunately. Except for the big brown ones, you have 3 to go, yes?
                              veritas odium parit

Comment

OK thank you for your help.

Now I just need some stronger glasses so I can see what I am doing.

Comment

HI, I have the exact same issue and the same power supply board as shown in the Pics on this thread. I have a couple of follow up questions on this issue; 1) Did replacing the 8 capacitors fix the problem? 2) Where did you buy the replacement capacitors, and exactly what were the specifications on the 8 cpacitors so I can order them? Thanks in advance for any help on this.
                                  Last edited by bhumphre; 10-29-2012, 09:49 AM. Reason: changed 7 capacitors to 8

Comment

1. I gave up when the 5 did not fix it so I'm not sure how close I was to success. I was having a lot of trouble seeing what I was doing and needed a quick fix so I sold my old bad PS on EBAY for more than $40. and purchased a new one.
                                    2. I don't know what the other caps were because I did not remove them. The first 5 are listed.

I had success with doing caps replacement on motherboards so I know it works. badcaps.com gives great service and I would highly recommend buying from them and besides it helps support these boards.

Do you have caps showing the bulge? Maybe desolder those and replace those first.

Comment

Hello,

I too am experiencing the same issue with my imac. When i plug in the power cord i hear a high pitch squeal coming from the power supply. The diagnose led lights only light on led #1. When i press the power button led #2 and #3 flash then everything shuts down, then no lights are present. I suspect that the power supply is the culprit. I have included pictures of the power supply. You can see the previously mentioned caps have bulges on top. You can also see on a couple of them some liquid type release on top (left 1500's) . The others have what remains of the foam pad that was present (right 1000's) i would like to know which ones i can order here, to replace them. I have done some soldering before and work on computers for a living however i have never replaced any capacitors before.

I was hoping for some help with this in hopes to get it working again. Any instruction, advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
                                      Attached Files

Comment

One
                                        uf on the cap..> 1500 uf
                                        Two
                                        voltage of the cap I can not see the voltage that marked on the cap from the photo
                                        Three
                                        size of the cap they look like they maybe...> 10 to 12 mm D X 20 to 25 mm H caps <... from the photo
                                        Four
                                        the series of the cap that you are going to use I would use one of the following...> FR, FC, FM, KY, KME

You can get these cap at Mouser or Digi Key

I hope this helps
                                        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-12-2012, 08:59 PM.
                                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                        1 Dell Mother Board
                                        15 Computer Power Supply
                                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                                        X