is this power supply worth recapping/repairing? andyson 550w platinum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this power supply worth recapping/repairing? andyson 550w platinum

bought this power supply last month. its actually nos stock as this model of psu has been around since 2010/2011 or so. been testing it and looks like its faulty. system keeps randomly rebooting suddenly. it also sometimes powers on but doesnt start post and makes the mobo play dead. tested it on two systems and they both do the same thing so its the psu.

wanna ask the members here what they think of the build quality of this psu from the pics attached? note that the pics are from a review site's teardown of the psu off a china website.

i wanna ask if its worth recapping/fixing it? note that it uses lots of junk caps, from "june fool" (as opposed to april fool lol!) caps to cheapo teapos. my guess is that the caps either dried up or the oxide layer degraded to the point of no return from being in storage lying unused for several years until i started using it in dec 2017.

i also hope there is nothing wrong with the apfc circuitry causing the psu to cutoff and rebooting/resetting the system, cuz if the apfc is focked, its gonna be a pain fixing it.
    Attached Files

Re: is this power supply worth recapping/repairing? andyson 550w platinum

yes, totally.
    Its an independently regulated, LLC Resonant mode converter design.
    Though that makes it hard to find the problem.

Comment

100% worth repairing it

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
        Its an independently regulated, LLC Resonant mode converter design.
        is that the same type of design as the superflower leadex platform? cuz i remember reading about that type of design before.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
          is that the same type of design as the superflower leadex platform?
          Naa, its the same type as around 90% of every modern 80plus Gold unit of the last couple of years.

PS: Between the DC-DC modules and the secondary heatsink you'll find a CM6900...

Comment

What is causing the reboots? 5VSB? Main inverter? PFC?
            PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
            To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
            X