MSI GE75 Loptop with black screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI GE75 Loptop with black screen

I have an MSI GE75 10SF-035 with a black screen. HDMI output and everything else seems OK still.

I used Windows installed on the flash SSD via the HDMI output for a while, which was still working, but that installation developed a problem and since then I haven't been able to boot any OS as I can't see the BIOS screen or the boot menu screens to select an alternative boot device (I understand the BIOS and Boot Menu screens don't come through the HDMI output, only the laptop screen, which is just black for me).

I Pressed a button the on MB which looks like a reset button to me, or maybe a BIOS reset. No change.

RAM is good. Flash SSD appears to be fine, due to booting previously.

It looks like a bit of a job to get the various heat sinks off etc. but I'll disassemble it if there's a reasonable chance of a repair with basic repair tools (I have a heat gun, solder station, also with a precision heat gun, precision hand tools, etc. No microscope, reflow station, oscilloscope or anything advanced though).

Thanks.

Re: MSI GE75 Loptop with black screen

HDMI works-so the mb is posting. Only problem is internal screen not working?? It may be the LVDS cable is bad or screen is bad. First try replacing these two components. If problem remains, then you need to measure voltage on LVDS/EDP connector on mb.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
      HDMI works-so the mb is posting. Only problem is internal screen not working?? It may be the LVDS cable is bad or screen is bad. First try replacing these two components. If problem remains, then you need to measure voltage on LVDS/EDP connector on mb.
      At first I too thought it might be a cable problem or bad screen but I have seen a few threads where they say black screen can be caused by faulty VRAM, and a couple of repair videos where the black screen was caused by a faulty component on the mother board (eg inductor coil), like this one:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8qYVFyJO4&t=1s

WHy do you suggest changing the screen before testing voltages on the LVDS/EDS connector? Is it that that connector is hard to get to and requires much disassembly?
      Last edited by Califauna; 07-19-2021, 03:40 AM.

Comment

first, LCD_VDD and inverter +B19V in LVDS socket should be checked. although rare, there may be bad contact in the LCD panel connection socket. it can be easier via lCD panel.
        Last edited by Sametbey; 07-19-2021, 05:48 AM.
        I'm not happy to be so strong. because it's not humanly

Comment

I suggested to change the screen first assuming you have spare one with you as we always have plenty of them in stock. Now measure voltages on edp/lvds connector pins but be very careful in measuring them.

Comment

It was a connection problem to the board in the end. Screen cable. Couldn't see it at first because its hidden by the heat sink assembly.

MSI identified the part number for the cable and I bought one online and it works now.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X