Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Galaxy S5 no sound

Hi, I'm new here.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 which produces no sound through either the top or bottom loudspeaker. The top loudspeaker produces a constant, very faint high pitched squeal.

I have tried:
    1. Using the housing of another S5, as this housing contains the top loudspeaker.
    2. Replacing the bottom loudspeaker with a new one.
    3. Full reset.

The symptoms do not change after the above changes. The phone works fine apart from this.

The phone operating system is Lineage 9.

I have a soldering station, multimeter, hot air gun, handtools, etc.

Thanks for any troubleshooting and repair help.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5 no sound

I've found that actually the ear speaker is working. Turning up the 'in call volume' in setting I can hear it over the squealing sound. No such luck with the ringer volume, or playing music/Youtube videos though, which produce no sound at all through the main speaker.

Comment

Is this the original version from 2014?
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

There's a channel on YouTube that's fixed the audio on more than on S5 by reflowing the audio ic.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
          Is this the original version from 2014?
          Its the G900F model. The OS is LineageOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Califauna View Post
            Its the G900F model. The OS is LineageOS.
            Mine is the G900R4. I wonder how different the specs are...
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I have found out that the MB is completely missing a 'Low frequency filter' component. It must have fallen off at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtgWFHdJqNY

Anyone know where I can get one of these?

EDIT: According to the service manual this component is an 'inductor', and from what I gather is the same component as the one next to it. Seems to be possible to buy this component online if you search for the part number (2703-004597).

https://mega.nz/67a9bdf9-8fff-449f-95a6-f5937fdda781

I guess if you have two S5s you could transplant one to the other (to the detriment of your donor S5 of course).

If it is a filter I'm not sure why it would be a low pass filter (inductors behave as low pass filters don't they?) rather than a high pass filter, but at any rate this guy seems to have bridged the contacts and his speaker works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN_XHYNJ6v8
              Last edited by Califauna; 01-06-2022, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X