Need ASUS X55VDR BIOS Dump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ASUS X55VDR BIOS Dump

As the title says, I am in need of a "F1" named BIOS, or a known clean ME dump for an ASUS F55V (or X55VDR, according to the mainboard)

Information that I could gather:

- fan runs 100% all time
    - discrete GPU is not detected, has not been physically tampered with, except for repasting as the thermal paste was rock solid at this point
    - soldered CPU, i3-2370M
    - mobo model reads ASUS X55VD MAIN BOARD REV3.1, but the barcode adds another "R" after the X55VD model.

Attached are the mobo model, and another shot showing the type of mobo w/ discrete GPU. I have also included a photo of two other stickers present. The first two torn letters under the barcode are TT (as in Audi TT )

Any help is much appreciated. I heavily suspect this is a BIOS issue because of the fan running at full speed as soon as it is powered on.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dan81; 07-30-2022, 08:03 AM.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Re: Need ASUS X55VDR BIOS Dump

Post more your original corrupt bios file.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
    Become a Badcaps supporter
    >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
    Thanks to all supporters.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Okay, this is the dump I've got from the mainboard.

As I will note again, this is the first time I have got the chip out of the board so it hasn't been previously tampered with in any form.

I also have no backstory on the previous owner's usage of this laptop, so no idea how the board (and possibly BIOS) has gotten to the point of running the fan at full speed and the 610M not being detected at all.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Dan81; 07-30-2022, 08:46 AM.
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Try
        Attached Files

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Comment

Tried it, BIOS reports VBIOS N/A, and fan goes full speed midway through Windows boot.

What I just noticed: the BIOS version is 409, but from what little I could find, the R variant goes up to 407 only. Chances are it's a botched BIOS flash someone did that I just dumped?

I did download a few other dumps and will try them and report back, maybe one of them restores the ability to use the 610M.
          Last edited by Dan81; 07-30-2022, 09:51 AM.
          Main rig:
          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
          16GB DDR3-1600
          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
          Delux MG760 case

Comment

I find it strange that the ASUS homepage doesn't have the X55VDR model.

Comment

Yeah, that does seem strange. The case reads F55V, and the most recent dump I did find had mentioned F55V/F55VD and the same mainboard silkscreen as mine (X55VD MAIN BOARD REV3.1). No mention of VDR but I'll check if it works. Maybe ASUS made the VDR specifically for the F55V models?
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                Yeah, that does seem strange. The case reads F55V, and the most recent dump I did find had mentioned F55V/F55VD and the same mainboard silkscreen as mine (X55VD MAIN BOARD REV3.1). No mention of VDR but I'll check if it works. Maybe ASUS made the VDR specifically for the F55V models?
                try this one dan .
                Attached Files
                All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Same thing. Fan goes to 100%, and still no 610M in the device manager.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Because I couldn't edit my previous post - I also tried a non-R X55VDF1 BIOS image to no avail. With that one, I do get a "2135.something something" string in the VBIOS section, but behaviour kinda stays the same - the difference is that the fan will now not always run at 100%. It will either boot normally, and start going 100% on the second boot. GT610M still won't appear in the device manager, and I even installed 8.1 in place of 10. Nothing changed.
                    Main rig:
                    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                    16GB DDR3-1600
                    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                    Delux MG760 case

Comment

Welp, I'm stumped as to what else I can try.

What I did so far:

- tested two of the VDR dumps (thanks to SMDFlea and hoaca388!)
                      - did a quick reflow on both the 610M and the HM76 chipset (half a minute at 350*C, about just quick enough that the solder heats up and reconnects everything) - neither had any effect in my case (though a reflow has helped Th3_uN1Qu3 get his 610M back in working state, hence why I tried the same thing as him but to no avail in my case)
                      - installed Windows 7 just recently to avoid any incompatibility (since 7 is the lowest this F55VD has official support for - I am pretty sure the actual unofficial one goes as low as XP, though I have no idea if Optimus even works on XP, let alone the 610M itself )

Thanks for all the support though! I have resorted to waiting on a mobo to pop up locally and will probably swap that in. Hopefully the one I have sniped for some time now has a socketed CPU, though I wouldn't turn down a soldered i3-2370M either. This one is just so stubborn that it won't turn on the 610M no matter what I flash on it, so I guess there's that. For the record, the GPU in my case DOES get power and I can feel it getting hot (slightly hotter than the i3, but not by much) - that's about it though, as nowhere in Windows it is getting detected.

What I didn't try is flashing my own dump back, and am currently running SMDFlea's cleaned ME region dump, if that helps in this moment.
                      Last edited by Dan81; 07-31-2022, 12:49 PM.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Figured I'd come back - apparently the R in most models like X55CR and X55VDR actually denotes a soldered CPU. Hence why normal non-R BIOS-es work - the only difference between the VD and VDR (and even between C and CR) is that the normal VD is socketed, while the VDR is the same board except the CPU is soldered.

I'll be testing various VD dumps from here as well (mainly those that actually read VD inside the file - Colibri's HEX editor can help me determine if the dump comes from a X55C or a X55VD) and hopefully land on one that will enable me the usage of the 610M and a normal fan operation. If not, I'll settle for a X55C/CR dump and treat the mainboard as a HD3000/UMA only mainboard.
                        Main rig:
                        Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                        Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                        16GB DDR3-1600
                        Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                        Delux MG760 case

Comment

Give me the sn for your unit i will give you the right bios

Comment

Originally posted by cacla View Post
                            Give me the sn for your unit i will give you the right bios
                            Info from the bios dump.

CCN0CV202113504

90N5OI118S2A375D426U

All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Originally posted by SMDFlea View Post
                              Info from the bios dump.

CCN0CV202113504

90N5OI118S2A375D426U

I am not in office now

Comment

I can confirm CCN0CV202113504 appears. Unfortunately, the bottom case stickers that would show the model and SN are blank (possibly worn off or something else?) and the Windows 8 sticker that would have been there is torn off.

I'll quickly update this post with the BIOS showing the same CCN serial number though, as I see it appears over there. Can't say for the other two as the bottom case is blank in that regard but I can confirm the CCN one thru BIOS.

EDIT: Uploaded the photos of BIOS in actual state, as well as the bottom case. If needed, I can also show a photo of device manager missing the 610M and nVidia installer subsequently not detecting any hardware.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Dan81; 08-01-2022, 09:58 AM.
                                Main rig:
                                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                16GB DDR3-1600
                                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Figured I'd post up the device manager too. I added in two photos from another ASUS laptop I have (X53SC-SX424V) just to show you what it should look like (since both machines have the same CPU - i3-2370M - the difference is the X53 has it socketed while the F55 has it soldered on the mobo) and another pic showing the Geforce installer on the F55VD not detecting any Geforce hardware, despite the GPU receiving power (as it does indeed actively heat up, and I can feel it being warm on the bottom).
                                  Attached Files
                                  Main rig:
                                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                  16GB DDR3-1600
                                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Here is the bios
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Tested it. 610M still won't show up, and fan will go full blast after a restart.

Interesting finding: HWMonitor reports 2500RPM as normal fan operation, and 25500 when it starts going full blast (as in 100% speed). CPU clock also sits at 2394MHz and won't budge while the fan is at full speed.
                                      Attached Files
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by cacla View Post
                                        Here is the bios
                                        you have posted this bios before in another thread, https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...35&postcount=6 .

When you siad "2 models form x55vdf and x55vdr" did you mean that the same bios you posted works for both the VD and VDR or that you found a VDR in your database. If you have the VDR F1 can you post that

Comment

Working...
                                        X