Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blown cap on old dwell gauge - kal equip 2851

Originally posted by desert-rat View Post
    Did you try to see if it would work? Volts and ohms are easy to check. For tack and dwell you would need an old car with points.
    I did try to use the tach function. My car doesn't have points ignition, but is old enough to use the tach. If I recall correctly, it worked for a split second then died, and now won't turn on at all. I'm pretty sure I attached the leads incorrectly. Probably attaching one to 12v that shouldn't have been.

I will test the resistor in the next couple of days and report back.

Comment

I finally found my multi meter and was able to test the resistance. The meter reads 05.0. However, the resistor practically crumbled while removing so I'm not sure how accurate that can be.

Does that narrow-down the correct resistor at all?

Comment

The old burnt resistor was GREY-RED for the first two stripes, so it's 82 something something, either 8.2Ω or 82Ω yet you measure 5.0Ω on the burnt part. Hmmm.

I would put in 82Ω and see how it works. If the new part is the wrong value, both Ohms ranges (Rx1, Rx1,000) will read way wrong.
        You would put a potentiometer for the test resistance and see What it the meter reads.
        Or, connect a known resistor to the test leads and put a 1k potentiometer in place of the mystery burnt resistor and dial in the right reading, then measure the pot to get the value.

I would say the meter was in Ohms function and saw power which overloaded it. It's too easy to be measuring Volts and hit the slide switch. Oops. Smoke. Why does the middle slide switch say "Volts" yet the line goes down to Ohmsx1? So confusing. Do not drink and dwell lol.

Comment

if the meter wasnt zero'd then it probably had 0.4 to 4ohms in the leads, sockets, switch etc.

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
            Do not drink and dwell lol.
            Ha! Or don't dwell at all and upgrade to HEI.

Originally posted by stj View Post
            if the meter wasnt zero'd then it probably had 0.4 to 4ohms in the leads, sockets, switch etc.
            You mean touching the volt meter probes together and subtract the number from the resistor's value? I did that now and the 'empty' value is indeed 01.0. Meaning the final value of the burnt resistor is 4 ohms?

Comment

maybe,
              if you turn the meter off and on, is the lead value always the same?

Comment

Originally posted by snakeintheeaglesshadow View Post
                My car doesn't have points ignition, but is old enough to use the tach.
                cars don't use tachometers anymore?

hmm... electric cars wouldn't have tachometers I suppose but any gasoline ones it's still somewhat interesting information. Might not be useful information for automatic transmissions however...

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                  maybe,
                  if you turn the meter off and on, is the lead value always the same?
                  Yes it seems to be the same 'empty' 01.0 value after a few power cycles. Does that change the values of the resisters I should try?

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                  cars don't use tachometers anymore?

hmm... electric cars wouldn't have tachometers I suppose but any gasoline ones it's still somewhat interesting information. Might not be useful information for automatic transmissions however...
                  It's actually designed for tuning a carburetor. The RPM is a useful data point to do so.

Comment

no, the dwell meter is for ajusting the distributer advance or spotting a vac leak on the line
                    they are still used on some raced up cars like the B series honda engines with variable cam gears.

Comment

Dwell was used for setting point gap, this box can run off a 9V battery so it can do old small engines- moped, lawn mowers etc.

OP see if your multimeter is pooched. Measure ohms on some resistors, compare to another multimeter etc.
                      My estimate - the burnt resistor was 82Ω.

Comment

Working...
                      X