Charging IC BQ25A troubleshooting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging IC BQ25A troubleshooting help

I have this HP 15-BS525UR,LA-E791P REV 2.0 laptop that has charging issue. Sometimes the battery is detected , other times it does not. And if it gets detected it does increase the charge percentage. While at times, it just works fine ( which is rare )

The schematic for this is not available which is making it ore difficult for me to trace the issue.

The charging IC used in this board is BQ25A , whose datasheet is available.
    Also the battery connector has 2.5volt on pin 1 when I plug in the AC adapter without the battery.
    If I connect the battery to the terminal, PIN 1 shows 12 volt.

Thank you all of you.

Re: Charging IC BQ25A troubleshooting help

Post measurements of charging ic here. Then only one can think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
      Post measurements of charging ic here. Then only one can think about it.
      Thanks I will do that in few minutes.. but just wanted to know what should be the "ideal" voltage on the Positive pin of the battery connector with AC plugged in and NO battery is connected ?

Comment

Pin 1 voltage maybe ok. Have you tried another good working battery to rule out a battery problem?

Comment

Originally posted by luckydip View Post
          Pin 1 voltage maybe ok. Have you tried another good working battery to rule out a battery problem?
          Yeah checked with known good battery. Charging issue still not resolved

Comment

Not 100% familiar with this chip but there should be current sense resistors so the chip knows when to use the adaptor/battery. Measure resistance between pin1&2 and pin12&13. In macbooks this sort of issue would either be a current sense circuit/ISL chip or the SMC as it displays the battery status/charge % etc. Would the equivalent to the SMC be the super IO?
            Last edited by luckydip; 09-30-2019, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Removed the Charging IC and placed the same one back and now the laptop is charging fine.

However I see the CapsLock "LIGHT" is always ON. The keyboard works fine though. I am not sure what could have caused that.

Comment

Originally posted by IamPritesh View Post
                Removed the Charging IC and placed the same one back and now the laptop is charging fine.

However I see the CapsLock "LIGHT" is always ON. The keyboard works fine though. I am not sure what could have caused that.
                if it was a cracked solder joint, then issue is resolved but if was due to a resistor or the ic itself, it will come back again with same complaint-so keep your fingers crossed for a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                  if it was a cracked solder joint, then issue is resolved but if was due to a resistor or the ic itself, it will come back again with same complaint-so keep your fingers crossed for a couple of days.
                  Yes this has happened to me. I am not sure, how applying heat makes it to work and then in few days the same fault is witnessed again. What's the logic ?

Comment

The heat restores some internal connections which then detach quickly

Comment

who found the cause of this problem?
                      similar motherboard and problem

Comment

Originally posted by vitaliy415 View Post
                        who found the cause of this problem?
                        Similar motherboard and problem
                        i have

Comment

Working...