Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Board layers confusion (Macbook Pro)

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 13" 2019 A2159 on my desk with what seem to be SMC issues.
    Powers on by itself, fan on max all the time, touchbar black. Everything else works as it should.
    While examining it's clear repairs have been attempted before.
    So I found this one spot - there's a via in the signal trace that should be connected to it but it's grounded. The boardview indicates that it should be connected to the signal and not ground (please see pics attached). None of the other points via is connected to show a short.
    Have I reached another layer of the board that's grounded ? Should I just run a wire between the traces and isolate the via ?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Board layers confusion (Macbook Pro)

What is the resistance to ground of this via?

The ic to the left in the pic may need a reflow with flux as it may be causing the shorting fault. These are tiny WLCSP packages with high density ball pitches (0.4mm).

Comment

Re: Board layers confusion (Macbook Pro)

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
      What is the resistance to ground of this via?

The ic to the left in the pic may need a reflow with flux as it may be causing the shorting fault. These are tiny WLCSP packages with high density ball pitches (0.4mm).
      0.1 Ohm.
      Actually just found another place with identical situation, via corroded, craping to the copper below and it's ground.
      Is there something I'm doing wrong or could there be something shorted on that layer ?

Comment

Working...
      X