New SIM card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SIM card?

During the coming week I will be replacing my Samsung Galaxy S5 (GSM, 4G, unlocked) with the Galaxy S10 Plus (GSM, 4G, factory unlocked). I read somewhere that I should get a new SIM card in order to take advantage of new capabilities.

My S5 has a battery that may go from 94% to 3% in a few seconds if I use the camera phone, or try to take pictures of a check with my banking app, or if I even try to talk on it sometimes. The battery is often quite warm and it has physically swelled in size.

Will I unlock new features with a new SIM card? I saw a chart listing different capabilities of "3G", "4G" and "5G", and some cell carriers disagree on what capabilities should be listed in each classification.

I asked whether I should get a new SIM card over at howardforums but nobody answered.

Should I grab a new SIM card?

EDIT: Of course as soon as I get the new phone working, I'll grab "Free42" and "Droid48sx" for Android because RPN calculators make me feel much smarter than I am.
    Last edited by Hondaman; 06-20-2021, 01:53 AM.

Re: New SIM card?

Old phone 4G, new phone 4G, new sim not required.

Comment

if it works it works.
      really old sims cant run at low voltage or may have less number memories but that's not going to be a thing here.

btw are you keeping the S5 or trading it?

Comment

The USB plug on the Galaxy S5 is rather worn out. A local repair shop does not want to try to put a new USB plug on because the S5 is complex and hard to take apart. I will probably take it to the hazardous waste facility in my area for disposal. (I do not like throwing away stuff that is still in pretty good condition.)

(I wanted wireless charging years ago, and the Galaxy S6 had that feature, but the S6 was expensive. The S10 Plus, obviously, has this feature.)

If someone here wants the S5, I just bought a new official SAMSUNG battery for it. If someone wants the phone AND battery, please tell me quickly before I return the battery.
        Last edited by Hondaman; 06-20-2021, 04:30 AM.

Comment

keep it for experiments.
          you can unlock it and put custom recovery/firmware on it for practice.

Comment

You need a new sim card because they're physically different

S5 is micro, S10 is nano
            Attached Files
            Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
            ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

modern ones are all those .just remove the excess bits ..
              one thing with new chips are you need to port the number but that's easy these days ,

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                modern ones are all those .just remove the excess bits ..
                one thing with new chips are you need to port the number but that's easy these days ,
                the connection pattern between micro and nano are different. Regular and micro, not so much
                Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

they are compatable, i have a punch to reduce them down.

Comment

i have cut them down in the past no problem

Comment

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
                      i have cut them down in the past no problem
                      Depends. The chips of some rather old SIM-s are bigger than the Nano SIM standard and cutting these will damage the SIM. But most of the SIM-s from at least the past 10 years don't have such problems and you can cut them. But nonetheless, you have to be precise.
                      Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                      1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Wal-Mart does not carry the SIM cards in stock. Well, they have a $50 kit that comes with a free month of service. But I probably cannot take advantage of this, since I already have service with them.

In a few more days, I'll receive the 99-cent "SIM card only" from Wal-Mart's web store. In a few days I can finish setting it up.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X