QUIET Socket 940 Cooler suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUIET Socket 940 Cooler suggestions

I've thought about swapping the coolers in my current main rig, which uses twin opterons, I'm running a pair of dual core Opteron 285's. The board is a Tyan S2895 Thunder K8WE, with the two CPUs by the top edge of the board just under the RAM.

Being Socket 940, the coolers themselves are still the standard AM3/AM2/939 type clip.

I currently have stock coolers with PWM fans swapped from the stock non-PWM internal temp controlled fans.

While they aren't the biggest contributor to noise, being such a readily available cooler type I'd think it would be a good easy place to upgrade and reduce noise.

So, what I'm looking for:

-2 identical coolers
    -Space isn't an issue, but I don't need anything requiring it's own ZIP code.
    -Quiet (PWM is a must).
    -Doesn't need to be super effiecent otherwise, as I'm Not OCing these.
    -Not super pricey, Under $30 per cooler is a must.

Suggestions?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: QUIET Socket 940 Cooler suggestions

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, cheap, quiet and efficient. It's a bit tall but it should fit in any standard size case. You will have to remove the stock cooler brackets.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099

It's a little over your budget so the Hyper T4 might be better as it's around $25-$30

Comment

^not 940/939 compatible, AM2/AM3/whatever's newest) use a 4 screw bracket, while 939 and 940 use a 2 screw bracket... and still a bit pricey.
      sigpic

Comment

Ah forgot they had different mounting bases...the stock coolers will fit either though.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty View Post
          Ah forgot they had different mounting bases...the stock coolers will fit either though.
          As do many aftermarket... I used to IIRC run a TX3 on a 939 rig... maybe I could get a pair of those?
          sigpic

Comment

The TX3 would do fine, as would the T4. Both use the stock AMD mounting bracket IIRC. It's only the somewhat larger 212 that doesn't
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

i'v seen some good 100% copper low-profile sinks with centrifugal fans used in opteron rack systems.
              not sure what they cost though.

Comment

^I don't need low profile, and rack systems are usually LOUD... opposite of what I want.

What about the vortex plus?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103084

I think it might fit my airflow pattern better... although for the same price I could get a T4 and for less a TX3.

NM- looked at a review, not what I want at all. With a normal width (not as skinny as my other workstation) case I'll probably go with a TX3 or a T4. IIRC I once could get TX3's for $15 a pop on ebay... I even have two of them sitting come to think of it but only one has the AMD bracket to it, and at the somewhat nominal price see no reason not to go for a pair of new ones.
                Last edited by ratdude747; 12-03-2014, 08:02 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

^looked, I can't get the AMD bracket by itself so I'll have to get at least one new one... I may ask in looking to buy.
                  sigpic

Comment

you mean the backplate with the 2 screw-posts?

Comment

No, the two piece clip that comes as part of the cooler kit that has a cam lock and attaches to the stock plastic mount screwed to the mobo.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ratdude747; 12-03-2014, 09:43 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have an Xigmatek Loki cooler which is compatible with 940 sockets aswell as most amd and intel ones, its quiet and was around £17, its tall though but will fit in most cases

Comment

Originally posted by blasterboomer View Post
                          I have an Xigmatek Loki cooler which is compatible with 940 sockets aswell as most amd and intel ones, its quiet and was around £17, its tall though but will fit in most cases
                          I've also liked the Xigmatek Loki for 939. I used to use one myself on an old Athlon 64.

Comment

Yeah, just asking, what makes them better than a cheaper CM TX3?
                            sigpic

Comment

reviving the thread as I haven't gotten to this and won't for a while (due to present unemployment).

Here's the question: If I go for side blowers (like the TX3's), what way should i point them?

the issue is that they are in a row, not a column:

I'm thinking up, as otherwise one would blow hot air into the other... this make sense?

PS- along with the new coolers (when the time comes), I'll also grille all four fans.
                              Last edited by ratdude747; 05-15-2015, 07:47 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

up makes sense in that case, but the fans need to be under the sink and blowing because hot air shortens the fan life and you want to stay clear of the ram.

also, i would put a plastic half-pipe over the ram running front to back.
                                that way the heat from the cpu's wont effect the ram,
                                and the rear fan wil draw cold air across all the rams.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                  up makes sense in that case, but the fans need to be under the sink and blowing because hot air shortens the fan life and you want to stay clear of the ram.

also, i would put a plastic half-pipe over the ram running front to back.
                                  that way the heat from the cpu's wont effect the ram,
                                  and the rear fan wil draw cold air across all the rams.
                                  The latter sounds like a bit of work given the lack of mounting provisions. These CPUs don't get too hot - the existing coolers do a great job - it's more to quiet things (it's already pretty quiet!) than to increase cooling ability.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Get a 3 pin to molex connector and wire it to run at ~7V and see how loud they are. Generally it's quiet enough and still maintains enough cooling even at high loads.

Comment

Working...
                                    X