Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Validate my build

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
    Yeah, they use a lot of power. FX-8350 is about 2.5x as much compared to the i5. But that's not a major concern. In my current dwelling I'm not billed for my electricity usage. (Just a flat rate.) It also has a higher benchmark score and costs £10 less, motherboards are cheaper too. Are there any good reasons, ignoring power consumption, for avoiding the AMD chip?
    One word: Drivers

£10 is a very small price to pay for not having to put that atrocious AMD/ATI code on your system.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I will admit I've always preferred Intel for Linux support too. Their Linux drivers are absolutely top notch. Then I saw this with some benchmarks:-
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFqQ...U&noredirect=1

While ranking is higher, FPS is better on i5-4460 in all cases. So I'll probably stick with i5 in the end.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I'm running an AMD FX-8350 here, and it is (as said earlier) extremely fast if you can keep all 8 cores busy. For what I do, I can.

As far as drivers, I have a Radeon HD 7770 video card, which works perfectly fine with the open source "radeon" driver. I think it requires some proprietary firmware blobs, but at least it's not fglrx.

Comment

Well, the two builds:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core ... £125.00
          Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ ... £82.00
          Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 ... £93.97
          Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V ... £87.99

Total £388.96

vs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core ... £130.94
          Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 ... £106.92
          Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 ... £93.97
          Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V ... £87.99

Total £419.82

(I ended up changing the PSU, this one is not group regulated and looks better built, for only a little more £)

I'm still leaning Intel-wise, but will think carefully about what I need. A lot of CAD work runs only one or two threads so better single core execution may win it.

I'm still not convinced 1600MHz RAM makes much difference after seeing this:
          http://i.imgur.com/V0NiI.jpg

A few % differences, at best...
          Last edited by tom66; 01-05-2015, 04:49 PM.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Definitely go with the Intel build. I would probably suggest going with a current Z97 board rather than a previous generation Z87 board. Bear in mind that a Z87 board will need a BIOS update in order to work with the i5 4460 (which might be a problem if you don't already have an older CPU like a 4440 to do it with).

EDIT http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/368...5_i5-4460.html

According to CPU World, the 4460 and FX-8350 are both about the same performance in multi-threaded applications, but the i5 is noticeably faster with single threaded applications.
            Last edited by c_hegge; 01-05-2015, 07:10 PM.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Yeah, I don't have an older processor. So that would be an issue. Buying one is probably not worth it, unless I got the absolute minimum one, but probably still going to be ~£50. Would a Z97 support it out of the box?
              Last edited by tom66; 01-05-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Yes. Z97 boards support Haswell refresh CPUs out of the box. I'm pretty sure they will also support Broadwell out of the box too. I would probably suggest something like a GA-Z97X-UD3H if you can get one.
                Last edited by c_hegge; 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                  Yeah, they use a lot of power. FX-8350 is about 2.5x as much compared to the i5.
                  I doubt as much as my Q6600 @ 3.3!

A stock FX pwns my Q6600 @ 3.3 in video encoding.

A Kentsfield is a power hog, lol. And also, my Kentsfield apparently (or much more likely to) also strangely reports bus errors when I don't have sub-ambient temps @ 367 Mhz FSB.

Despite 1.3 V being nothing for FSB termination voltage on a 65nm...

I read that a Kentsfield @ 3.3 easily consumes 250 W at full load.
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-05-2015, 08:32 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                    Mid-50s under full load with the Noctua cooler... With the stock cooler, I read reports of 80C+ under load, that's why I splurged on the cooler. $25 coolers are also fine, but it's not right that Intel is including these coolers on $200 CPUs. On Pentiums or even i3 I understand.
                    you read reports and didn't try it out yourself? Some people don't install coolers right
                    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                      you read reports and didn't try it out yourself? Some people don't install coolers right
                      Multiple reports... and they sounded credible to me.

But if the chip was sitting in the mid-50s at full load with a hefty Noctua cooler, it stands to reason that 80-90C would be the result with a 15 or so millimeter thick HS/F.

That machine was going to get a high-end cooler anyways. I had a Clarkdale system come in from the same customer with a pancake cooler, and the stock fan was busted.
                      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

I will stick with the stock cooler. I've built a few PCs and always used the stock cooler. I've never overclocked them, but I have used them to play games and never had any issues. If I do encounter issues I'll order a cooler.

Comment

Ok, just keep in mind that these pancake coolers are very much fan-dependent. It's not a big deal. If for some reason there's a problem with the fan, you'll know it, because your chip will throttle the speed down significantly.

Comment

That's the same for most coolers. Very few heatsinks can dissipate heat effectively without forced air flow. I had a passive CPU heatsink in my old media PC and it was a massive, 90% copper beast. (It still had cooling via the PSU fan though that was on a thermostat which meant most of the time it did not turn at all, silent PC.)

Comment

There's forced air flow and then there's forced air flow. These heatsinks are so thin, they're practically rudimentary in nature. It's more like a heatspreader than a heatsink. Absolute rubbish, and I would not use them on something that gets that hot.

Comment

I really wish heatsink manufacturers specified °C/W figures instead of vaguely relying on design or size to sell them. It would make it much easier to shop for heatsinks. Luckily some review websites have started testing for this figure, but it's not exhaustive.

I think AA batteries, etc. should also have mAh/mWh figures on them (for non rechargeables) but then customers might realise that all AA batteries are virtually the same.

Comment

PC built and all works good. In the end I went for an EVGA power supply because I saw a teardown showing all-Chemicon output capacitors. But I peered through the vent and I saw Capxon! Blugrh!!

I'm debating whether or not to send it back. It's got a 5yr warranty which I suppose I could use if the capacitors failed. And it was quite cheap for an 80 PLUS Gold PSU (650W). It's also modular - hard to find one like that around the same price bracket. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

Which model?

I'd send it back.

Comment

Sounds like evga pulled an Antec!
                                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

To it's credit, there are some Chemicons on the output. But I can count at least four Capxon which could be output caps. It's a NEX650G1. Internal photo that I saw: http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1948589/

I don't mind the group regulation and I'm not using more than about 250W in normal use.
                                        Last edited by tom66; 01-23-2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I'd leave it alone, since it's only a 250w draw.

At leased they used proper RTV silicone and not organic glue.

Comment

Working...
                                          X