X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

DPS-400MB-1A Rev: 02M 400W IBM server power supply

The unit has four +12V rails. Manufactured in September of 2007 according to the datecode on the PCB (0738). Fan is AFB0812VH, appears to have been manufactured during the 2nd week of September, 2007, by way of what I can garner from the datecode on the label. Doesn't spin fast at all during low loads but hey, it's a Delta, so that low speed makes for a quiet fan at least (doesn't move too much air at such a speed, though). Capacitors are all Japanese. 330uF 450V Nichicon GU (30x50) on the input, Nichicon PW, Rubycon YXG, and Chemi-con KMG on the output filtering. As you can well see, the underside is very clean, but not without the SMD components Delta likes to use there. Bridge rectifier is D15XB60 on a finless heatsink. Double forward topology with APFC. Main switchers are 2SK2915 and APFC transistors are FQPF3N50C. ST UC3843B and Texas Instruments LM393P are also present on the primary side for the PWM controllers, and LM393A is present on the underside. Main transformer is size 39. Input filtering... at least four Y capacitors, at least two X capacitors, one NTC thermistor, a few coils (on the sister board on the primary), but can't seem to find any MOVs in the unit. Maybe that's a good thing, though. There's another tiny transformer on the primary side... perhaps for driving the MOSFET on the high side? This unit has as BIG APFC coil and four Vishay optocouplers. The startup capacitors appear to be 100uF 50V Rubycon YXG (8x11.5) and 47uF 50V YXG (6.3x11).

+5VSB appears to be rectified by a freestanding 5A diode. 12.5x31.5 3300uF 10V Nichicon PW before the ferrite coil with 8x20 1000uF 10V Rubycon YXG after for filtering. +5VSB PWM chip appears to be a proprietary Infineon part with a VERY long part number that I can find no datasheet or info on, and there appears to be another similar chip on the primary side too. +3.3V is rectified by a single STPS3045CT and has a 2200uF 6.3V 10x23 Rubycon YXG before the ferrite coil with a 2200uF 10V 10x28 Rubycon YXG after. -12V appears to use a single heatsinkless diode for rectification and has a 220uF 50V YXG (10x16) before the -12V linear regulator (L7912CV on the secondary heatsink) with a 100uF 50V (8x11.5) YXG after. +5V is rectified by STPS3045CT on the high side and STPS3045CW on the low side and has a 2200uF 10V 10x31.5 Nichicon PW before and after the ferrite coil for filtering (the Nichicons in this unit were produced in Ohno, Japan, and the Rubycons in Singapore and Japan, all with 2007 datecodes... the Chemi-cons in the unit have 2007 datecodes as well.. and they all have polyester sleeves).

+12V uses STPS20H100CT on the high side and STPS30H100CW on the low side for rectification with a 12.5x35.5 3300uF 16V Nichicon PW in parallel with a 10x20 1000uF 16V Rubycon YXG for filtering (no ferrite coil). There are some tiny 100uF 25V Nichicon PWs scattered on the secondary daughterboard and some very small Chemi-con KMGs for decoupling. +12V rail has two shunts. There appears to be two ST1002DS controllers on the secondary daughterboard. The heatsinks have a very thick base and are very nice. +3.3V toroid uses -26 material, the massive +5V toroid uses -52 material. The unit has one 24-pin connector, one 4-pin ATX12V connector, five molex connectors, four SATA connectors, one floppy connector, and one 5-pin 12V connector. Also has a nice honeycomb stamp for ventilation and rubber gromets holding the fan in. It has a fan header as well on the daughter board on the secondary, to which the fan's connector is glued. The PSU also has a +3.3V sense wire. The wires are all 18 gauge, excepting the -12V, +3.3V sense, floppy, PS-ON, and PS-GOOD wires, which are all 22 gauge. No rocker switch on the PSU. PS-ON appears to be managed through a 431 shunt on the secondary. There are lights on the unit to indicate operation. I think that's about it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Wester547; 05-09-2015, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
      DPS-400MB-1A Rev: 02M 400W IBM server power supply

Manufactured in September of 2007 according to the datecode on the PCB (0738). Fan is AFB0812VH, appears to have been manufactured during the 2nd week of September, 2007, by way of what I can garner from the datecode on the label. Doesn't spin fast at all during low loads but hey, it's a Delta, so that low speed makes for a quiet fan at least (doesn't move too much air at such a speed, though). Capacitors are all Japanese. 330uF 450V Nichicon GU (30x50) on the input, Nichicon PW, Rubycon YXG, and Chemi-con KMG on the output. As you can well see, the underside is very clean, but not without the SMD components Delta likes to use there. Bridge rectifier is D15XB60 on a finless heatsink. Double forward topology with APFC. Main switchers are 2SK2915 and APFC transistors are FQP3NC50C. ST UC3843B and Texas Instruments LM393P are also present on the primary side for the PWM controllers, and LM393A is present on the underside. Main transformer is size 39. Input filtering... at least four Y capacitors, at least two X capacitors, one NTC thermistor, a few coils, but can't seem to find any MOVs in the unit. Maybe that's a good thing, though. There's another tiny transformer on the primary side... perhaps for driving the MOSFET on the high side? This unit has as BIG APFC coil and four Vishay optocouplers. The startup capacitors appear to be 100uF 50V Rubycon YXG (8x11.5) and 47uF 50V YXG (6.3x11). +5VSB appears to be rectified by a 5A diode. 12.5x31.5 3300uF 10V Nichicon PW before the ferrite coil with 8x20 1000uF 10V Rubycon YXG after for filtering. +5VSB PWM chip appears to be a proprietary Infineon part with a VERY long part number that I can find no datasheet or info on, and there appears to be another similar chip on the primary side too. +3.3V is rectified by a single STPS3045CT and has a 2200uF 6.3V 10x23 Rubycon YXG before the ferrite coil with a 2200uF 10V 10x28 Rubycon YXG after. -12V appears to use a single heatsinkless diode for rectification and has a 220uF 50V YXG (10x16) before the -12V linear regulator (L7912CV on the secondary heatsink) with a 100uF 50V (8x11.5) YXG after. +5V is rectified by STPS3045CT on the high side and STPS3045CW on the low side and has a 2200uF 10V 10x31.5 Nichicon PW before and after the ferrite coil (the Nichicons in this unit were produced in Ohno, Japan, and the Rubycons all in Singapore, all with 2007 datecodes... the Chemi-cons in the unit have 2007 datecodes as well.. and they all have polyester sleeves).

+12V uses STPS20H100CT on the high side and STPS30H100CW on the low side for rectification with a 12.5x35.5 3300uF 16V Nichicon PW in parallel with a 10x20 1000uF 16V Rubycon YXG for filtering (no ferrite coil). There are some tiny 100uF 25V Nichicion PWs scattered on the secondary daughterboard and some very small Chemi-con KMGs for decoupling. +12V rail has two shunts. There appears to be two ST1002DS controllers on the secondary daughterboard. The heatsinks have a very thick base and are very nice. +3.3V toroid uses -26 material, the massive +5V toroid uses -52 material. The unit has one 24-pin connector, one 4-pin ATX12V connector, five molex connectors, four SATA connectors, one floppy connector, and one 5-pin 12V connector. Also has a nice honeycomb stamp for ventilation and rubber gromets holding the fan in. It has a fan header as well on to the daughter board on the secondary, to which the fan's connector is glued. The wires are all 18 gauge. No rocker switch on the PSU. PS-ON appears to be managed through a 431 shunt on the secondary. The PSU also has a +3.3V sense wire. There are lights on the unit to indicate operation. I think that's about it.
      That is a beautiful PSU! How did you tell where the caps were manufactured?!
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
        That is a beautiful PSU! How did you tell where the caps were manufactured?!
        The "H" prefix means Ohno for Nichicon, the "T" prefix means Japan for Rubycon, and the "A" prefix means Singapore for Rubycon. Also, the 3300uF 10V Nichicon PW on +5VSB measures 12.5x25 and not 12.5x31.5. And the diode on +5VSB is manuactured by Panjit Semiconductor.
        Last edited by Wester547; 05-09-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

What do you mean by high side and low side? Both the +12V recitifers are in parallel. However, I noticed this Deltas system for two different diodes in parallel too.
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

I mistakenly said the unit has four +12V units when it's really three. And the unit is quite heavy without any PPFC to account for.

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
            What do you mean by high side and low side? Both the +12V recitifers are in parallel. However, I noticed this Deltas system for two different diodes in parallel too.
            In forward topology, on the secondary, the output can only be half-wave rectified. This means that one of the two diodes in a dual diode package is used as a "flywheel" or "freewheeling" diode to discharge the toroid and complete the current path. Besides somewhat derating the capability of the rectifier, there isn't really a way two schottkys can be in "parallel" in forward topology, in that sense; the one on the high side handles the pulses from the transformer and the one on the low side acts as a freewheeling rectifier. They are still connected, they just aren't in parallel. That's how I understand it, anyway.
            Last edited by Wester547; 05-09-2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I meant the whole rectifiers are in parallel. Than yeah, each diode in the package does something else. But you still have two different diodes (from different rectifiers) in parallel with each other. I thought you have to use the same ones and even than under very high load, due to manufacturing differences one might take all the load on itself.
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Also, when I said the +5V toroid, I meant the +5V/+12V toroid.
                Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                I meant the whole rectifiers are in parallel. Than yeah, each diode in the package does something else. But you still have two different diodes (from different rectifiers) in parallel with each other. I thought you have to use the same ones and even than under very high load, due to manufacturing differences one might take all the load on itself.
                The fact that they use different rectifiers on the +12V suggests differently, otherwise one would be experiencing "thermal runaway", so I think the one on the high side does conduct current and the one on the low side freewheels. You could be right about the STPS3045CW and STPS3045CT even though they are in different packages so their thermal resistance would be rather divergent.

Comment

NICE looking unit there. That thing could probably do 500W no sweat. Very cool. Surprised c_hegge hasn't commented on it yet

Comment

^ Thanks. Really, the difference between these OEM units and the Chinese gutless PSUs of lore, rated for the same "wattage", is night and day.

I also mistakenly said that there was a 2200uF 10V Rubycon YXG after the +3.3V ferrite coil when it's really a 10x23 2200uF 6.3V YXG. And the fan does rev up noticeably as the PSU warms up. And on second thought, I don't think the +5V rectifiers are in parallel - I've seen similar units where they use MBR3045CT and STPS3045CW for +5V rectification and IMO those rectifiers are too dissimilar to be used in parallel without thermal runaway (at least according to the datasheets).

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                      NICE looking unit there. That thing could probably do 500W no sweat. Very cool. Surprised c_hegge hasn't commented on it yet
                      Haha. Yeah. I have a ton of more important things to do right now than post stuff on the net. It's a nice unit indeed. It actually bears a bit of a resemblance to the Hipro D3057F3H inside (albeit with APFC and Delta's far superior build quality). It's interesting, though, how different it looks from the DPS-600MB, as the model numbers imply they are just 400W and 600W versions of the same platform. The 600MB looks more similar to the 650 and 750CB internally (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=318)
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

lol, I want one of those for my computer.
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Here's the two factory 525W PSUs you could get in a Precision T3500.

The first the DPS-525FB. This one's the "525W Active Power Factor Correcting (PFC) power supply" and is made by Delta.

Remove one cover (the case is designed in 4 parts) and you get to this.

Remove the four screws and you get inside.

Mostly Nippon Chemicon KMQs but that black one near the power connector is a Lelon.

--

And the second is the NPS-525BB. This one's the "525W 85PLUS Power Factor Correcting (PFC) power supply" and is made by Newton.

Same case design except that one door doesn't work for opening, you have to separate the sides due to a short cable linking the PCBs.

This one's not quite as well built as the Delta. CapXon, Taicon and Lelon caps rather than Nichicons and a Lelon. Not sure what they were thinking using these in such an expensive computer but gotta save money somewhere.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Typical over-build Delta designs. Love the two PCB design on those. It's just a shame that they are slightly too big for most cases. I have a Dell H750P-00 and Delta DPS-750CB which I can't use because of that.

lol, I want one of those for my computer.
                            Which one? The 400MB or the 600MB?
                            Last edited by c_hegge; 05-15-2015, 04:32 AM.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              Typical over-build Delta designs. Love the two PCB design on those. It's just a shame that they are slightly too big for most cases. I have a Dell H750P-00 and Delta DPS-750CB which I can't use because of that.

Which one? The 400MB or the 600MB?
                              The 600MB xD

------------------------------

DELL H240AS-00
                              OEM: HIPRO
                              Output: 240 Watts
                              PFC: Active
                              Caps: Elite, Ltec, and a few Rubycon
                              Fan: Protechnic "Magic" MGA6012HS-A25
                              Input: 2 EMI chokes, 2 x-caps (one is 1uF!!!), GBU606 rectifier, y-caps, and x-cap discharge resistor
                              PFC silicon: 16N50C (Infineon), BYV29X600
                              Main silicon: W12NK90Z (STMicroelectronics)
                              5VSTBY silicon: TNY280 (PowerIntegrations) (Even has a heatsink attached to it!)
                              Secondary silicon: LM7912, 3x STPS2045CT, STPS30100, 40N06

Oh, hello there, Keith, Catherine and Ken! (Oh and Andy, on a small board by the AC input)
                              The electronics were designed by a female?! Nice!

The transformer is quite small. Smaller than the smallest DEER! Huh, I guess they might be using a higher switching frequency.

The build quality is very nice, except for the caps. There is a good airflow path, the heatsinks are nice, and there is good EMI filtering. Also, there is some heatshrink tubing for protecting a cable going to the board next to the AC input. Even the 5VSTBY IC has a heatsink, which I think might be because the 5VSTBY is rated for 20W!!! They could have used a better fan, but hey, it isn't the worst fan.

Also, the 5VSTBY is rated for 5V @ 4A!!!!! WTF!!! Wow!!!
                              (LOL, and it has a -12V output )

-Ben
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ben7; 05-15-2015, 07:02 AM.
                              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by Compgeke View Post
                                This one's not quite as well built as the Delta. CapXon, Taicon and Lelon caps rather than Nichicons and a Lelon.
                                Capxon? On the APFC filter? Run away

Originally posted by ben7
                                Oh, hello there, Keith, Catherine and Ken! (Oh and Andy, on a small board by the AC input)
                                The electronics were designed by a female?! Nice!
                                Lol, that is pretty interesting (and a bit amusing).

Originally posted by ben7
                                They could have used a better fan, but hey, it isn't the worst fan.
                                Protechnic fans are pretty okay IMO. I'd say about the same as Yate Loon.
                                Definitely not like Tea Bao or Rulian Science .

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  Lol, that is pretty interesting (and a bit amusing).
                                  Yeah, that's the first time I've seen something life that. Well, I've seen people's initials on another board, but not an actual name written out like that.

Protechnic fans are pretty okay IMO. I'd say about the same as Yate Loon.
                                  Definitely not like Tea Bao or Rulian Science .
                                  Definitely!

That PSU though. Even when the computer is idling, the PSU blows out hot air!!! WTF? Very inefficient?!
                                  My Topower power supply, even when loaded down a bit (granted, my computer doesn't really need more than 250W or so), doesn't seem to have any noticeable increase in the exhaust temp. And I'm usually sensitive to temperature!
                                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

That PSU though. Even when the computer is idling, the PSU blows out hot air!!! WTF? Very inefficient?!
                                    Maybe.
                                    Or maybe those HiPro heatsinks are actually doing their job - transferring heat from attached silicon parts and dumping it in the air . I don't know, all my HiPros blow hot air, yet all still appear to have good caps. Would be interesting to measure the HS temperature on one of them and compare to some other PSU. I know I have one crappy Sun Pro -built Raidmax that didn't blow a whole of hot air (even though the fan was going full blast), but the PCB was still darkened due to the crappy heatsinks.

Comment

I know I have one crappy Sun Pro -built Raidmax that didn't blow a whole of hot air (even though the fan was going full blast), but the PCB was still darkened due to the crappy heatsinks.
                                      I've got a Deer that doesn't blow hot air at all.

Want to know why?

It's modded and has a Delta fan.

BTW I've compared it to the Linkworld in my sig by leaving it run on a Preshott Celeron D for 13 minutes.

Results were :

Linkworld - was blowing hot air after 13 minutes test
                                      Deer - still cold and working.

I have to say,this is funny,considering the Linkworld was built a bit better than my 350W Deer. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the Linkworld uses 20A schottkies for ALL the rails?
                                      Last edited by Dan81; 05-16-2015, 08:28 AM.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Maybe.
                                        Or maybe those HiPro heatsinks are actually doing their job - transferring heat from attached silicon parts and dumping it in the air . I don't know, all my HiPros blow hot air, yet all still appear to have good caps. Would be interesting to measure the HS temperature on one of them and compare to some other PSU. I know I have one crappy Sun Pro -built Raidmax that didn't blow a whole of hot air (even though the fan was going full blast), but the PCB was still darkened due to the crappy heatsinks.
                                        All your Hipros blow hot air? I thought you said your old Hipro 250W (built for Dell) didn't get hot even in 80*C weather. As for having good capacitors, I know Teapo/Yageo, Hermei/Asiacon and G-Luxon (pre-Teapo merger of course) like to fail silently, all three of which were popular brands in Hipro PSUs at the time (sometimes bearing Panasonic primaries). I could believe they get hot though, because even those massive heatsinks on the secondary output quite a bit of heat when the system is at full load and that means inefficiency (same goes for those old Newton and Liteon 250Ws but otherwise the Newton 250Ws run the coolest, IE capacitor wise), especially since +3.3V is linear regulated in many of the Hipros. It is no wonder their secondary side is so overspec'd for the rating on the label.

On the other hand, their heatsinks are doing their job because of that. At least the heat is properly transferring from the rectifiers to the top of the heatsink because of the very thick lower base. And go figure, the primary heatsinks almost never get warm in these units (even though they're much smaller than the secondary heatsinks in the Hipros) because they use single switch forward topology.
                                        Last edited by Wester547; 05-16-2015, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                          All your Hipros blow hot air? I thought you said your old Hipro 250W (built for Dell) didn't get hot even in 80*C weather.
                                          I guess my perception of heat has changed
                                          Actually, it seems only the ones that are in 5V-based systems seem to blow hot air. But that's expected. You have much higher secondary currents. So lots more heat on the secondary heatsink.

Comment

Working...
                                          X