Gophert Power Supply and testing led problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gophert Power Supply and testing led problems

Today, I found my led light bulb not working and so I replaced it with a new one. Out of curiosity, I opened the damaged one to see what was inside. I saw a series of 16 leds. I have experience in checking the leds strips for using as backlight in tv. Therefore, I would like to do the same to check which led in the bulb is not working. Initially, I set my bench power supply to 3V and 200mA, and test each led. I found that I needed to raise the voltage to 7V so as to make the led to light up dimly. I found one led did not light up, and I think that one has been damaged. When I went to test the next led or the second next one, it was lighted up very brightly. I thought that one was shorted (but when I tested it with a multimeter, it is not shorted) and so I lowered the current of the power supply to 100mA and test again hoping that this will avoid damage to the power supply . I found that led was still lighted up very brightly. Then I further reduced the current of the power supply to 10mA and test again. I got the same result and the power supply is not working after that.

My power supply is Gophert CPS-6005. The maximum output voltage is 60V and maximum current is 5A. It should have over voltage and over current protections according to the manual. Was I not using it properly and so it was damaged? Or was it the power supply problem (not providing current protection)?

Now the power supply output voltage is 0.08V. The setting can change the voltage but after that it will return back to 0.08V. Visually, I cannot see any damaged component. The fuse is also normal. Which component will probably be damaged if I want to fix the power supply?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tmhobadcap; 12-23-2019, 01:24 AM.

Re: Gophert Power Supply and testing led problems

I personally I do not like computer controlled power supply I find that they have nothing but problems

I personally prefer the manually set ones

That being said do you know if you have a short on the output of this power supply

How you find this out is take a multimeter ( if you have a multimeter ) put the meter leads on the power supply leads and check for a short ( with the meter turn the ohms position) with the power supply unplug from the wall

If you do have a short in the output you need find where it is coming from

One note on some these type of power supply they have a TV diode on the output terminals if this power supply has one check this diode first that this diode has not shorted out

If you can please show a picture of output terminals of this power supply where the power supply wires hook on both ends thanks

Because I want to see if this is one wire for positive and one for negative or does it have two wires on each terminal

Because if has two wires on each terminal then it probably has a voltage feedback circuit
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-23-2019, 12:44 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

On separate note

On the LED light that you are working what is ic chip number
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
        On separate note

On the LED light that you are working what is ic chip number
        The markings on the ic chip is EG1000E 8WP3 1749. But I could not find any information from the internet on it.

Comment

I personally I do not like computer controlled power supply I find that they have nothing but problems

That being said do you know if you have a short on the output of this power supply

How you find this out is take a multimeter ( if you have a multimeter ) put the meter leads on the power supply leads and check for a short ( with the meter turn the ohms position) with the power supply unplug from the wall

One note on some these type of power supply they have a TV diode on the output terminals if this power supply has one check this diode first that this diode has not shorted out

If you can please show a picture of output terminals of this power supply where the power supply wires hook on both ends thanks

Because I want to see if this is one wire for positive and one for negative or does it have two wires on each terminal

Because if has two wires on each terminal then it probably has a voltage feedback circuit
          When I put the multimeter leads to the outputs and check for resistance, I can see that the resistance is jumping between 0 and about 50 k ohm.

Attached please see the photos for your reference.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tmhobadcap View Post
            When I put the multimeter leads to the outputs and check for resistance, I can see that the resistance is jumping between 0 and about 50 k ohm.

Attached please see the photos for your reference.
            “0” ohms really are you sure take your meter if it auto range turn it off and read it again
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by tmhobadcap View Post
              The markings on the ic chip is EG1000E 8WP3 1749. But I could not find any information from the internet on it.
              The link that I might have found safari will not page because it says that it is not secure page
              Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 12-23-2019, 01:19 PM.
              9 PC LCD Monitor
              6 LCD Flat Screen TV
              1 Dell Mother Board
              15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

“0” ohms really are you sure take your meter if it auto range turn it off and read it again
                To be more exact, zero ohm just show up about half a second. Most of the time is jumping between 1 k and 5 k ohms.

Comment

Electromechanical, FTW!
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

So i was testing firmware upgrades/fault fix that I made to ksger t12 soldering iron with the power supplied by gophert NPS 1602 at max current limit 3.1A. After some time I noticed 0 current. Now the NPS 1602 has the cc red light on always and constant current limits to 0.0 A.

Comment

Users of gophert NPS 1602 need to Check the thin output wires and connections!

My issue was caused by factory clamping of a few wires on top of the cable insulation. With supply around 3A current the few copper wires burnt out. As for the CC 'on' operator error...

Comment

So, back to the LED bulb. I did the same thing and for each bad LED, I just soldered those over and continued until the next burned out and did the same again and nw there are only 4 working. So I soldered two wires and used the bulb as my inverter to light a strip of leds. The wires put out 57vdc but not much power.

Comment

Working...
                        X