Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GA-z68xp-ud3p no power

Hi folks:

I have this motherboard GA-z68xp-ud3p. I know my brother connected it and he said to me "smoke came from the unit" afer one day of functioning. No idea from where the smoke came. I supposed it was from the PSU but not clear. Well fact is I have a working CPU and working RAM. New PSU. I asked them to send me the combo board + CPU + RAM. I live in another country separated from my family. Well fact is motherboard doesn't turns on. Not even this new PSU turns on the fan. I suppose there are two options. Or the MB has some short or the "turn on" signal is not arriving to the PSU. Fans do nt try to start nothing. I measured 3.3 volts in the power on pins. Those where the ON button is connected. I also feel some electricity in the shields when I touch them. however nothing starts. I removed the battery for a long while to see if CMOS gets cleared. Still this CR2032 has 3.0 volts as measured by the meter. I tried to see with continuity testing between ground and all voltages from the 24 pins connector. Nothing no short. I also measured th 12 volts CPU 8 pins connector, nothing, no short. No idea on what could be wrong with this damn thing. Totally ran out of ideas. Looking for some enlightenment. Nothing looks burned in the board and doesn't smells burned at all. All looks by view quite normal. CPU and RAM is ok as tested in another motherboard.
    Last edited by waldoalvarez00; 10-20-2016, 01:47 PM.

Re: Gigabyte GA-z68xp-ud3p no power

UPDATE: I managed to make it start. Sometimes it even boots sometimes it doesn't. I attached a dignostics card and sometimes it reports "bad signal check CPU block" sometimes I see the BIOS messages appearing in the dignostics card (I don't have a video card). I suppose it is the CPU VRM failing or something. Sometimes it goes back to not even power on. If I disconnect the 20+4 pins and attach a connector with a jumper that came this PSU with but leave the 12 V CPU lines connected the PSU starts. It is an EVGA 600 Watts PSU. This makes me believe it is a bad capacitor somewhere failing randomly. Now the big question... wich one? It would be quite a drama to just desolder them all and test them. They all seem ok but they are not bulged or anything. They look like high quality capacitors. Those covered in metal. But this looks very much like bad caps symptom. Any ideas?

Comment

Re: Gigabyte GA-z68xp-ud3p no power

Looks like a small solid cap. I saw it was leaking down there. I already purchased some on ebay ultralow esr same capacity voltage rating. Let's see what happens cause this one is not an experiment is an expensive board.

Comment

Working...
      X