Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Motor control board repair

Originally posted by cyclones View Post
    It looks like the -15V goes back to SR3 and the voltage regulator that doesn't get warm, AVR2. From looking at the trace lines and from the meter, it seems like the AVR2 is in parallel. SR3 has a + and - and two middle pins that go to the AC input, so it seems like a rectifier bridge, but I don't know what the SR3 designation could mean. Any ideas?
    Are you getting a/c voltage to SR3? It is likely a bridge rectifier, why it is labeled SR3, who knows.
    If you are not getting any a/c to the bridge, check the resistance of the traces and the power supply winding that supplies that circuit.
    What is the part number on SR3?

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
      Are you getting a/c voltage to SR3? It is likely a bridge rectifier, why it is labeled SR3, who knows.
      If you are not getting any a/c to the bridge, check the resistance of the traces and the power supply winding that supplies that circuit.
      What is the part number on SR3?
      Is it going to be safe to power up the board with 120VAC? That's about 10% higher than the 107V at the machine. I assume any voltage regulators should be able to handle that but just wanted to check first since I've not dealt with something that is expecting 107V.

Comment

If this machine has a step down transformer that supply’s power to this board look and see if it says 110 volt or not because if does do you know if your facility has a hot leg if it does then you might have the transformer on the wrong set of legs because if the step down transformer says 110 to 120 volts output

Because I has this happen to me one time and when I switch the legs to a certain way I got the correct voltage however do not change the machine main power supply legs unless you do NOT have any other motors on this machine because your rotation might be wrong
        Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 11-12-2021, 10:43 PM.
        9 PC LCD Monitor
        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
        1 Dell Mother Board
        15 Computer Power Supply
        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Is it going to be safe to power up the board with 120VAC? That's about 10% higher than the 107V at the machine. I assume any voltage regulators should be able to handle that but just wanted to check first since I've not dealt with something that is expecting 107V.
          It should be ok, but you could also just check the resistance like I said. The transformer winding should connect directly to the ~~ connections on the bridge rectifier.

Comment

It should be ok, but you could also just check the resistance like I said. The transformer winding should connect directly to the ~~ connections on the bridge rectifier.
            Yes, it does. I measured half an ohm (0.5 ohms) resistance on the traces. The letters and numbers on the apparent BR are LBA 63.

Comment

I suspect you have the -15 volts, It was only missing because the main transformer was not being used.

Comment

I suspect you have the -15 volts, It was only missing because the main transformer was not being used.
                I tried it in the machine with everything connected and the -15V was missing.

Comment

I tried it in the machine with everything connected and the -15V was missing.
                  I just connected my DC power supply to the middle pins of SR3 (where the AC is supposed to go) and supplied 20 volts and the -15V rail comes up.

Comment

That proves the bridge rectifier and the rest of the -15v circuit is ok. The fault is then with either the transformer not supplying the a/c to the bridge or there is a break (or small fuse) between the transformer and the bridge rectifier.

I hope the transformer was NOT connected when you applied the 20 volts to the bridge? if it was that may have opened the winding on the transformer as the winding would be a very low resistance to the 20vdc.
                    Last edited by R_J; 11-17-2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Well, I found the problem causing no -15V. It's the connector. It's not making good contact, but I'm sure I accidentally bent that pin when I was originally trying to measure transformer output voltages. So I'll have to either fix that or replace the connector. I've seen this type before so I assume I can find one.

So now I guess I power it up on 120V with attention to that connector and see what I get.

Comment

Let us know if you were able to fix this board issue or not
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                        10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                        6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                        1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                        25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                        6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply
                        1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                        2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                        All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Working...
                        X