MacBook Pro 15" 2017 A1707 Touchbar No power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro 15" 2017 A1707 Touchbar No power

Great forum! Love you guys for helping me learn here. Pulled up Schematics.

USB C Tester plugged in. Starts at 5V then the USB C tester shuts off and restarts. No test further. I plugged the USB C Tester into a working logic board (has a bad SSD Corruption) to verify the USB C Tester is working, and it works fine so the logic board we are testing is looping at 5V. Turns on the USB C Tester after 3 seconds it turns it off and on again. Loops. Tested voltage for G3H and it seems the enable switch at U6903 is present. Tried both USB C ports, same result

Any points I should test to determine what I am missing? So far I have learned a lot but small things like this come up and I could use the knowledge for further future repairs and enjoyment!
    sigpic
    MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Re: MacBook Pro 15" 2017 A1707 Touchbar No power

Tested for G3H. And its present. Then the voltage drops to 0 then starts over at 3.4Volts then drops again. This is obviously the cause of it shutting down. It still is not getting to 20V on the tester. Just stays at 5.20Volts then shuts itself down and starts over.
    sigpic

Comment

Try all 4 ports in both orientation.
      OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

All 4 Ports do the same thing.
        sigpic

Comment

Bump
          sigpic

Comment

I would give a try to replace 4 of the CD32 as long as you get steady 3v3 then start from there. But if you have a fluctuating voltage it could be the ISL9240
            Last edited by MobileXT; 01-26-2021, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MobileXT View Post
              I would give a try to replace 4 of the CD32 as long as you get steady 3v3 then start from there. But if you have a fluctuating voltage it could be the ISL9240

Thank you! I will test that tomorrow!
              sigpic

Comment

So went through all my stencil tools and I do not have a CD32 Stencil. Does anyone know where I can purchase one?
                sigpic

Comment

Scratch that found one on eBay from China. Sucks I thought I had one!
                  sigpic

Comment

hi. yes, you can source the stencil from MobileSentrix - they have some good stuff. Purchased from them recently:

https://www.mobilesentrix.ca/ic-comp...06-a1707-mac-5

Give them a shot and post your results.

Also, they have a USA as well as a Canadian distribution warehouse so you should be covered.

Comment

Thank you! I just purchased from them! Didn't realize they had stencils on their site! Now I do!
                      sigpic

Comment

Funny - about to order the same d*mn thing - have a bad CD3215 on an A1990 that will not turn on the battery charger.

Ordering a fresh CD3215 batch and the SMD stencil - actually may have it here already but easier to buy a fresh stencil than to dig. Apparently their cutoff for same day shipping is 8 PM - sweet!

Comment

Yeah just ordered that stencil. I think the China order hasn't delivered yet, but I need to do 4 CD3215 stencils for this A1707. Hopefully this solves the issue. If this fixes it, that brings out a board we had laying around and can put it into our inventory.
                          sigpic

Comment

What is the 820-xxxx code for your A1707 logic board?

Is it 820-00281-A?

Comment

Remove the 0 ohm resistor @ R6923 and power up again.

What is the voltage out out on pin 1 of R6923 (without this series resistor)?

Do you see a steady 3v3 on this rail or still power cycles for this rail?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Also, from here:

https://logi.wiki/index.php/CD3215_Bootup_Sequence

See the following:

Satyrcon 11.12.2020

Issue: 820-00840 wont take anything from charger, either port, or orientation.

Visible inspection resulted in marks on CC1/2 pins on both USB-C ports.

Diode mode measurement showed ~0.550V on 3 of them, one ~0.040V.

Replacing the port fixed the issue.

Conclusion: One damaged CC pin can cause the whole lot to stop functioning.
                                Post your diode readings for the CC1 and CC2 pins on each of your USB Type C connectors. An incorrect reading on one or more could indicate a fault on that specific CD3215 controller. If found, you could attempt to just remove that CD3215 controller out of circuit to see if that makes a difference for the balance of the logic board. Be sure that no pads are removed in the process and that no pads are shorting after this removal process.

Comment

Check to confirm that the LDO_BMC value for EACH of the CD3215 is @ 1v1. This voltage rail powers the BMC communication for the USB power delivery handshakes.

Do review this very nice webpage on this subject:

https://logi.wiki/index.php/CD3215_Bootup_Sequence

The TBT (thunderbolt) controller apparently is required to communicate with each of the CD3215 controllers over the I2C bus. If something is wrong with this process, this may cause your cyclic booting.

Do check for any voltages on SMBUS_SMC_4_G3H_SCL and also SMBUS_SMC_4_G3H_SDA.

Any voltages? What are the values? If no activity, then I2C bus communication is not working.

Comment

Hey replaced a few CD32 and still same issue, Going to check this now.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Also our board is
                                      820-00281-A
                                      sigpic

Comment

Removed the O OHM resistor. It is not power cycling anymore and I now have a 3.3v steady on PIN 1.

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
                                        Remove the 0 ohm resistor @ R6923 and power up again.

What is the voltage out out on pin 1 of R6923 (without this series resistor)?

Do you see a steady 3v3 on this rail or still power cycles for this rail?
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X