What is the resistor value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the resistor value?

Hello , I am a beginner at repairing electronics. I know there are some resister value calculators online but I just want to make sure of the value of this resistor (picture provided) the colors are green, black, silver, red and white.

Please help me repair my old Sony walkman wm-af23. thank you for the help!
    Attached Files

Re: What is the resistor value?

First off, what is the problem you have with the Walkman, and why do you think this resistor is bad? Did you check it's resistance with a meter?
    It seems to be a 0.5Ω 2%
    I checked the service manual and I don't see this value anywhere in the unit. post a picture of the resistor location.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R_J; 03-23-2021, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your help R_j! The problem with the walkman is that I couldn't hear anything when the tape was being played. (I have good sound on fm/am mode) I've done some research but I had not found a reason for this. I have replaced all caps on the circuit board and that somewhat helped the issue.. now I can hear a very faint sound .

Honestly i am now guessing at this point..

The resistor is reading about 1.3 ohms.

I have attached a couple photos of where the resistor is located..
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
        First off, what is the problem you have with the Walkman, and why do you think this resistor is bad? Did you check it's resistance with a meter?
        It seems to be a 0.5Ω 2%
        I checked the service manual and I don't see this value anywhere in the unit. post a picture of the resistor location.

Thanks for your help R_j! The problem with the walkman is that I couldn't hear anything when the tape was being played. (I have good sound on fm/am mode) I've done some research but I had not found a reason for this. I have replaced all caps on the circuit board and that somewhat helped the issue.. now I can hear a very faint sound .

Honestly i am now guessing at this point..

The resistor is reading about 1.3 ohms.

I have attached a couple photos of where the resistor is located..

Comment

The resistor is likely ok and seems to be part of the motor drive circuit. I see the service manual I attached is a bit different. If the problem is with the tape audio only, can you operate it out of its case? if you can try touching the wires on the head with your finger and see if you get a loud buzz, if you do the head could be bad or out of alignment.

Comment

check the head resistance and the cable from it to the board.
            it does move every time you press play

Comment

That's not a resistor, it's an inductor in series with the tape motor power to prevent noise.

Usually no tape audio is an oxidized radio/tape switch or auto-reverse tape head switch in Walkmans with that feature.

Comment

I can see what looks like a solder bridge next to the bottom right (pin 8) of the LA4570, from a through hole component to an SMD capacitor.

I also notice discolouration on some tracks and VIAs on the top side of the board, to the left of the marking "C302" which could indicate corrosion and possibly break(s) in a track/via.

There could also be bad/cracked solder joints somewhere on the board.

Along with the mode switch that redwire mentioned, I wonder if the connector that the tape-head ribbon cable plugs into might be a suspect for oxidisation.
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                X