This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

I meant in forward topology, which (because it uses half-wave rectification) only uses 70% of the rectifier's power. If it only uses 70%, could you theoretically use 100% even in forward topology if you pulled that from it?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      Well the rectifier doesn't have a current rating, it would just run hotter and have a shorter lifespan. I imagine if you run a rectifier in excess of its current rating for too long it will simply fail.
      They will.

Usually they can stand short overloads.

I once pulled a few amps through a 1N4148 for a few secs ... the damn thing still worked fine after that! (It was made by Fairchild too, I bet a no-name brand one would have failed) It did get mighty hot though! Hot enough to smoke a little; it only was dirt on the diode itself.
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It really depends on how well you cool them. If you use tiny heat sinks and let the rectifier heat up to 100+ *C, you'll be hard pressed getting 70% of it's rating. If you give it big heat sinks and keep it cool and pulling its rating won't be a problem.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

But in forward topology, through half-wave rectification and the other diode acting as a flyback, it's said that only 70% of the full rectifier is used... assuming that you have a decent heatsink and an 80mm, temperature-controlled fan, even though only 70% is used via that topology, could you push it to use more anyway?
          Last edited by Wester547; 09-30-2012, 12:35 PM.

Comment

^
            Yes. The datasheet rating is what the rectifier can handle if you let it heat up to 120*C (or whatever the maximum specified temperature is). Although it's not specified in the datasheet, a 20A rectifier can probably handle 25A or even 30A if kept cool, so then you'd assume 70% of 30A, which would be 21A. I've done it before for sustained periods without incident.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

In some datasheets, though, they all say "TC", "TA", or "TJ" 25C unless otherwise specified/stated when they give the table of specifications that includes the maximum limit of the rectifier. I've seen that everywhere from TO-247 parts from STMicroelectronics to TO-220 parts from Fairchild Semiconductor. Of course, they didn't (unless they give a comparison to heatsink temperature) put it on a heatsink or run a fan over it, so you're right. However, as ben7 demonstrated, the rectifier still has a limit that should not be exceeded (by double fold, at least) even with good cooling. But that means you've done it in PSUs that use forward topology?
              Last edited by Wester547; 09-30-2012, 04:05 PM.

Comment

^
                Yes. I've pulled 20A from 20A rectifiers on PSUs with forward topology without incident for as much as 15 mins at a time (I did try for more, but the OCP wouldn't allow it). In half bridge PSUs, I've been able to pull quite a bit more than the rating of the rectifier without incident.

Nearly all of the common ones common rectifiers (like the STPS3045CW, Probably the most common rectifier I find) are rated for 120*C or higher.
                Last edited by c_hegge; 09-30-2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I have two more questions... does forward topology change how effectively the specs of a capacitor filter the transient voltages (and supply power) to any one rail/output (rather, does it change the formula for that?)? And, furthermore, is the amount of power any one rail can deliver (in amps, less than maintaining a clean voltage per output) determined by only the rectifiers or by the specs of the capacitors on that rail also?
                  Last edited by Wester547; 10-01-2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    Kinda disappointed with this Antec, mostly because of the cap choice. Looks like an FSP build. At least it has APFC. And I paid $10 for it brand new. Hooray for voiding the warranty straight out of the box.

All output caps are CapXon there's 2 Teapo's. One on the 5VSB and that tiny one next to the MOSFET's. Bridge rectifier mounted to the heatsink is a GBU805. Going to recap the entire thing. Would you guys trust this for 500W with a recap? I was thinking more along the lines of 430W continuous. It is 80 plus at least. What do you guys think? Either way, great for $10
                    I recapped this entire PSU except for the primary cap. Replaced the 2200uf 16V Teapo on the 5VSB to a 3300uf 16V UCC KY cap. I replaced all the 1000uf 16V CapXon's with 1500uf 16V UCC KY's (and there were 7 of them) so I'm hoping the ripple will be in check with this thing
                    Last edited by Pentium4; 10-04-2012, 10:41 PM.

Comment

So, you are saying that each of the 3 main outputs (3.3V, 5V and 12V) had only 2x1000uF output capacitors??

Comment

Spire SP-600W Rocketeer VI. OEM is Topower. Jenpo caps everywhere, the owner swapped some of them but still wouldn't power up. Turned out to be a bad 3842 on 5vsb, haven't tested the main PSU yet as i've removed both heatsinks. Original caps were Jenpo, most of them bloated including the primaries, some just dried out and the PSU is almost new... Spire blew all their budget on those fancy cables.

It's half bridge, but it looks beefy enough to do 600W. Primary switchers are a pair of 2SC3320. Two SBL3040PT for the 5v rail (60A total), two YA868C15 for 12v (60A total), one SB2040PT (20A) and one P80NE03L (80A) for 3.3v. Obviously, the limit is given by the diode. Also found on the secondary heatsink is *gasp* a 7905! This thing has a -5v rail, which shows just how old the design is. It does have active PFC however, with a L6562N and two IRFP460A.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM. Reason: found the full name of this PSU
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Look: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12484

They are similar. The Tagan had Panasonic primary caps, yet they failed dry. I think that this is due to the APFC add-on board or the heat (or both?)

Comment

^ That TL494 and some of the resistors next to it seem to have gotten quite toasty. Not good! Otherwise the PSU looks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                              Are the primaries really bulged under the plastic cover? It tends to seems so, but its just for safety, the actuall vent is under it.
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

This might sound silly but does anyone know why yellow tape is often wrapped around secondary and primary capacitors?

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                  Are the primaries really bulged under the plastic cover? It tends to seems so, but its just for safety, the actuall vent is under it.
                                  First thing i did was rip it out and check - yes, they are bulged.
                                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Time to recap it and disable the PFC. I think in those PSUs, you can just un-solder the four wires coming from the add PCB, and solder a bridge rectifier in their place.

Comment

I'm going to keep the PFC. As for the caps, going after them today.

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                        I'm going to keep the PFC. As for the caps, going after them today.
                                        You should dissect them, I would like to see if there is discoloration/arcing inside those lame things!
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I will definitely dissect the primary caps as i can hear rattling inside. I'm sure they're smaller than the cans.

Btw, all up and running now. All that was wrong with the main supply was the caps. Pics tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                          X