X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post

Here's another Dell NPS-250KB (Newton Power) A 250W max output, version 02, manufactured on the 19th week of 2002.
    Back in 2002, I would have wanted that for my T-Bird!
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      ^
      I would argue that the efficiency is probably the least important aspect of a PSU's performance. It's the performance on the output side that really matters, and it does very well there (as I would expect form such an overbuilt unit).
      I agree with this. If a PSU has Japanese caps, I don't really care how hot the PSU runs. Lower efficiency doesn't make a huge difference unless you have a folding farm, insane amount of servers, etc. That's when you want to have some PFC to lower your bill

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
        I agree with this. If a PSU has Japanese caps, I don't really care how hot the PSU runs. Lower efficiency doesn't make a huge difference unless you have a folding farm, insane amount of servers, etc. That's when you want to have some PFC to lower your bill
        Except, I prefer higher effeciency, because even with japanese caps, it WILL shorten their lifespan. So in the end, after a while the performance of the PSU will drop because of the increased thermal stress on the components.

Plus, that extra energy really adds up on the electric bill!
        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Well

125/0,7 = 178,5W, 53W Heat wasted in the PSU
          125/0,85= 147W, 22W Heat wasted in the PSU
          125/0,92= 135W, about 11W wasted

And with 250W it's double that amount. So it's worth looking for a more efficient PSU

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
            Well

125/0,7 = 178,5W, 53W Heat wasted in the PSU
            125/0,85= 147W, 22W Heat wasted in the PSU
            125/0,92= 135W, about 11W wasted

And with 250W it's double that amount. So it's worth looking for a more efficient PSU
            Totally true.
            And, for some people, it can increase the temp of their room significantly... like mine... either that or I have too much hot air xD
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Yeah, computers are getting very efficient nowadays though, and even high end 80 Plus units can go under 80% with low loads. Even the average decently made half bridge unit gets at least 75% efficiency

Comment

Well, with no load the PSU has negative efficiency - minus infinity actually No load and some 10 W power draw
                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Let me tell you, I never get tired of these Macron PSU's. I've been seeing a lot of them lately, probably because all the caps are failing in them. As you can see they didn't quite cut that last zip tie Caps on 5VSB were out of spec and high ESR. Other caps were good on ESR, high on capacitance, except the caps on the 12V, strangely.

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                  Well, with no load the PSU has negative efficiency - minus infinity actually No load and some 10 W power draw
                  Attached Files

Comment

Was it wet or where did that corrosion/rust come from?

Comment

It was used in a computer close to the ocean, so that could be it

Comment

If you're talking about the stuff all over the PCB, I'm pretty sure it's just flux. If the corrosion were really that bad on the bottom of the PCB, then the casing would be falling to pieces.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Naa, it looks like corrosion. Flux should look different.
                          And take a look at the cable outlet. It's almost through...

How near to the sea does this computer stand?

Comment

Power Systems Inc (from a Tektronix TFP2A FiberMaster)

820uF 200V Nichicon 105C primary unit pair.
                            2200uF 35V Nichicon PF on all rails; +5V rail has 2200uF 35V Nichicon PF before and after output inductor.
                            820uF 16V Nichicon PF on primay side control B+ rail.
                            MJW16010A primary switcher with BUK454-800B synchronous clamping.
                            KBU6J primary bridge rectifier.

---

Mascot 9260 24V-12V Converter

47uF 63V Chemi-Con bipolar unit before the fuse and first input inductor with 470uF 63V Elna RSG after the second input inductor with 470uF 63V Elna RSG after the third.
                            3300uF 16V Philips LD before and after 12V 12A output inductor.
                            470uF 16V Chemi-Con SME on regulated control B+ supply.
                            IRF540 switching regulator pair.
                            BYV72EW-200 output rectifier.

My unit had a leaky Zener diode on the 12V output (between the +ve and -ve output terminals) causing an overcurrent condition.
                            Attached Files
                            My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

P4, that Macron looks like a credible design dragged down by crappy caps (and maybe a cheap fan). Am I missing something? Looks like a nice power line filter, nice heatsinks (including on the I/P bridge rectifier), -52 material O/P inductors, large main transformer, active PFC. It looks like it really could do 400W or very close to it (unlike some 450W-550W P/Ss that would probably put out their rated power for a few seconds before launching).
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                                P4, that Macron looks like a credible design dragged down by crappy caps (and maybe a cheap fan). Am I missing something? Looks like a nice power line filter, nice heatsinks (including on the I/P bridge rectifier), -52 material O/P inductors, large main transformer, active PFC. It looks like it really could do 400W or very close to it (unlike some 450W-550W P/Ss that would probably put out their rated power for a few seconds before launching).
                                Yeah, it's a great design! Very reliable with some good caps. I've already recapped it with all Japanese caps except I left the big 270uF 400V G-Luxon cap. It read 259uF 0.27Ω ESR so I assumed it was still pretty healthy. The Power Logic fan is definitely high quality. Their sleeve bearing fans have been extremely reliable in my experience, so BB is even better If you look on the transformer it says "MPT500" so it looks like with the right parts, it could do 500W

Comment

Something to barf about:

Reason: Too little space, to many components...
                                  That Layout should go through another round of layouting...
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by c_hegge; 05-26-2014, 09:18 PM. Reason: attached image

Comment

Something to barf about:
                                    Reason: Too little space, to many components...
                                    That Layout should go through another round of layouting...
                                    Double barf with the CapXon and Teapo caps there....!
                                    Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                      Double barf with the CapXon and Teapo caps there....!
                                      Interestingly the CapXons are polymers so they should be fine. The Teapo on top of that is what worries me a little...

Comment

Interestingly the CapXons are polymers so they should be fine.
                                        CapXon makes rubbish as it is. What makes you think their polymers would be any good? Because polymers are a better design?

Never underestimate how some Chinese manufacturers seem to have a special ability when it comes to taking something and making a bad quality version using whatever substandard materials and corner-cutting tricks they can get away with.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Hey guys, I looked inside this power supply. His name is ATX780HM and it has 780 Watts Oo

Well, i think it has 350 Watts in reality, what do you say?

Some other information of the power supply:
                                          OEM is HKC

Primary caps: two Caps named by the company "Cheng", I´ve never heard of them.

Secondary caps: most of them are from "ChengX", a few of them are from a Company named "FCon" and three caps are from "BH"

Protection-IC: Weltrend WT7520, which has OVP and UVP at 3,3V an 5V. It also has this on 12V, but I dont think that it does work. The paper to the technical datas says that OVP stops the PSU at 5V, wtf? Oo

Oh and it has passive PFC ^^

The company that sells this PSU says, that it has four rails at 12V. In reality, the circuit board says it has only two rails Oo On the bottom, I´ve seen that they soldered all rails to only one. This is a Single-Rail PSU ^^

This is my second post in this forum, I hope the picture works ^^
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X