Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Soyo - Shuttle - Supermicro
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2019, 04:11 AM   #21
Dan81
SNES-powered

City & State: Romania
My Country: Bacau
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Need help with Shuttle SB83G5A - fans spin but that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
That said, I don't think I've ever had a successful nVidia video card reflow yet. Seems that whenever I do the full reflow on them (that is, up to proper temperatures), they just die or become worse. With ATI on the other hand, it's completely the opposite: if I didn't heat them to at least 210C, high chance they wouldn't change. Only after reaching proper reflow temps I'd sometimes get a working card... but chances so far have been about 50/50 with those.
Blasting them with 350*C or higher probably fixed both the underfill and the substrate, making them connect again. I don't know exactly, but I can tell you that it usually worked first try. One of the many 8400GS (G86 core, Gigabyte OEM btw) I had was still working, but was artefacting badly. Blasting it with the heatgun totally fixed the problem. Same goes for a 7600GT which was used as a test GPU at one time before it finally went into my C2D E6750 rig. (Abit IP35 Pro )

Speaking of which, I remember having a GT440 in here that I might have to "bake" (blast at 550*C for about 3-4 minutes actually). Maybe I'll give it a go and see how it fares after heating it that much. It's got poly caps so I don't really have to worry about them much. Cooling, on the other hand, is going to be quite a problem, as the original HSF was pretty wimpy.
MSI Twinfrozr GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5
6GB DDR3-1066
Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
Raidmax RX-500XT (recapped)
Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
JNC RJA-52 case
Dan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:19 AM   #22
diif
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Midlands
My Country: England
I'm a: Professional Tech

Quote:
Funny you mention those. We had them in the repair shop I worked many years ago. Seemed to do more damage than good, as they were painted black and expanded quite a bit by themselves - a lot more than copper or the PCB material itself. At least in my experience, once we switched to them, I saw a decrease in successful reflows and noticed more board warping than before. So I tend to shy away from these. Leaving a board on un-tightened rail mounts so that the board is free to expand as it pleases with the heat is better IMO.

I use a microwave/oven cooking grille on which I place the board. The metal bars are thin and spaced about 0.5" (~1.5 cm) apart, so they provide decent support.

Thanks!
Nothing much still, as it's only been a month in. Just supporting the systems on a local toll road here, which mostly entails replacing coin machines and resetting/tweaking traffic controllers. Driving around that road is probably the biggest time sink - I probably clock in a good 25-100 miles per day, not counting driving to work. So yeah... lots of driving.
That's interesting to know. I saw lots of those frames being sold and just assumed they were sold for the right reason. I guess it's similar to the spade sellers of the gold rush era, they don't care if you find gold or not, they just want to sell spades.

Sounds like it's an interesting job, variety interspersed with driving. As long as you like/don't mind driving.
diif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #23
Retro-Hipster
Tinkerer

City & State: Salt Lake City
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Quote:

Thanks!
Nothing much still, as it's only been a month in. Just supporting the systems on a local toll road here, which mostly entails replacing coin machines and resetting/tweaking traffic controllers. Driving around that road is probably the biggest time sink - I probably clock in a good 25-100 miles per day, not counting driving to work. So yeah... lots of driving.
That totally sounds like the kind of thing I would love to do.. It might be a bit monotonous after a while, but I'm one of those guys that does dumb projects like taking old tungsten fairy lights and converting them into LED/neon lights. lol I'm sure that sort of thing would be right up my ally.

Alas, I have already built a good career as a network admin and feel too much a pansy to try to move towards something new. ahaha (Though, I might do Java programming for the company instead eventually. <3 )

“Men always seem to think about their
past before they die, as though they were
frantically searching for proof that they
truly lived.”
– Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -
Retro-Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote