Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Troubleshooting Hardware & Devices and Electronics Theory > Troubleshooting Computer Displays
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2019, 04:25 AM   #101
TeroYyy

City & State: Kalajoki
My Country: Finland
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: HP ZR2740w almost dead

Hello all!
I have this very same monitor on hand, started blacking out erratically at work, got replaced and brought it home. Soon didn't work at all. Blue light for a few seconds, then amber. Didn't get any voltage readings measuring the LED-connector. On the P803 the 5V is live, but 12V pins don't give anything. Thinking of PSU board having an issue with that. Do the LED drivers have their own transformer(s) or are they related to this 12V output? Any suggestions on this? All the caps look fine, but I haven't tested them in any way.
TeroYyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #102
Snout

City & State: Broby
My Country: Sweden

One interesting thing I found was that when I plugged my monitor into a UPS outlet (APC SmartUPS 1400), it behaved very erratically. Even though the UPS is line-interactive, and connected to the same outlet as the non-UPS stuff.
When plugged in non-UPS, it works.. mostly fine. Just a few quirks.

So there's another curio for people to watch out for.
Snout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:59 AM   #103
TeroYyy

I just measured this some more, seems the problem is in the main board as I was able to get the back light on using pull ups to PS-ON and On/Off. So it seems the main isn't giving enough voltage to wake up the power supply board. Are there any suggestions on what might be wrong with it? I'm thinking of caps because the problem began just like a dying power supply problem starts, randomly not starting up and eventually not at all.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #104
TeroYyy

Now I have replaced all the main board electrolytic capacitors, made no difference. Hmmm... What to try next.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:23 AM   #105
Snout

City & State: Broby
My Country: Sweden

Follow-up on a different problem - now and then lately the screen had begun to 'freeze up' and then fade to black, like a still image that then dims away. Other threads had suggested overheat under BGA chips on the control board, and since I'm no wiz with BGA-resoldering, I put a large 12cm 12V computer fan over the whole control board. So far it seems to have helped, the thing hasn't blacked out for the month or so it's been constantly turned on lately. Hurrah!
Snout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #106
remel

City & State: Oradea Bihor
My Country: Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeroYyy View Post
Now I have replaced all the main board electrolytic capacitors, made no difference. Hmmm... What to try next.
did you replace the 'big' capacity and the small capacity electrolytic caps?
I've repaired many PSU and the problems were not with the big caps. Do you have pics or schematics of PSU? if send me pics maybe I can help you
remel is offline   Reply With Quote