This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi everyone ^_^ My name is Austin, first PC that I owned was in 98, it was a pentium III HP 6000 laptop had 256mb of ram, and i had win 98 on it, first computer I built was in 03, had a AMD 3000, 1gb of ram, x800 256mb, and xpower 500 power supply, with 160gb hard drive. Went AMD because a few years before that I found out that there was another processor brand lol, and I'm mostly in to hardware but having to do software because friends, and family their computer break but its generally because of "rouge software" as they call it in my Comptia book. Oh and I have my Comptia A+ certification, and I think thats about it ^_^

Comment

Hello, hola, aloha, bonjourno, everybody. How are we all? I actually already posted somewhere else, how rude of me. Well I'm new so maybe I'll be forgiven. 'Name's Chris, from UK, I do a bit of carpentry, a lot of messing with computers and just general tinkering with what's around. After some decades I still have not grown out of the habit of taking things apart, and half putting them back together again. Often these things are better off like that (I like to think). Linux, AVR, and electronics are the latest trends for me. Other than that, I like er tea of course, beer, fish and chips and of course parmo's (a local delicacy):

This place looks swell, great big community, I look forward to being around.

Regards

Chris
      Last edited by rustmonster; 09-06-2012, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I am a new member ham for 50 years , worked as engineering technician at IBM east Fishkill,NY for 43 years , now working as a contractor at the same job doing mmWave RF characterization.
        They fall me" Frankie Fingers" at church because I fix stuff. I have ESR-micro Meter from Russia and an analog esr meter that was home brew and given to me.
        I am presently working on a DPL TV and found about 20 SMD 10uF 16V capacitors with esr in the 10-15 ohm range on a board where all the TV input ports are. The TV I am told stops working after it heats up but works longer with a fan blowing in the back.
        I pulled this chassis along with the power supply which is on top. Power supply capacitors seem ok , but I am not sure that these 10uF caps are causing the problem.
        I was reading that aluminum can capacitors can have high esr like 10-15ohms and still be good. I did not see the TV working so I need to do that now that I learned a few things about color wheels in this forum. TV is 5 hours away ....ugh!

Comment

Hi y'all. I started back by building my own Sinclair Z80 - wire wrapping 16kb of memory and hand wiring a tty keyboard if you can get your head around that. I actually got here looking for information on caps on my automotive wheel balancers main board. Not sure I'll find the answers I need, but it sure looks like a lot of info I could have used in the past so I thought I'd join in.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            A WELCOME to everyone that joins in!!

Peta, ofcourse some advertising would always be helpful to making this a success.... This forum has existed since October 6th 2003, online the first time at about 9:00PM CST. Being a couple days old, atleast there's traffic...

I don't know if this forum will be a huge success or not, I created it out of requests from viewers, so we'll see how many actually join... If it takes off, I'll be tickled pink!! If it flops, I'll simply remove it.

A little about me?!?

HMMM I'll give a little info... I've been in the electronics field since 1991, with experience ranging from TV/VCR repair all the way to industrial electronics for a very large and well known manufacturer. I started in computers in 1994, just for a change and something I thought would be more challenging.... First of all, in the computer field, I AM NOT a number cruncher (programmer) YUK!!!!! I'm a hardware/network guy... I can install any OS, repair and make it work, but sitting and typing code is more boring than watching flies mate!! So I stick to hardware!! I get the 'thrill' from coming up with cures for problems, creative and USEFUL mods (this DOES NOT include neon lights and corny batman windows in my cases)...

Before the VP6 was around, Abit's poster child was the BP6, dual celeron board... Being one of the pioneers to run dual Coppermines in my BP6 was quite a thrill... Then came the VP6, and the dreaded crap cap problem... Thus was born PROJECT:VP6, which is over a year old... It can be viewed at www.kabalsrealm.com/systems/projects/vp6/. That single article ultimately led to badcaps.net and this forum... I was shocked at the publicity it drew...

A little inside info?!?
            Well, age?! I'll say late 20's and that's close enough... I enjoy dealing with the computers, all of this is just a hobby these days, so if it did flop, it's no loss... I'm also a car nut... (300ZX!!!)... I also enjoy flying immencely, although, no I don't own an airplane... YET!!! Maybe if I sell off all this computer junk, I could afford one... HEH I own 3 domain names, and host sites for a few friends on this array... Of course they pay me nothing... HMMM Ohh well... Money isn't all... That's about all I think needs to be revealed... If there's something you really need to know about me, ask... The answer all depends on the question you asked...

Anyhow,
            Peta, and everyone else that has joined, Welcome to the forums!! Bring some friends with ya!! :roll:
            Just wanted to express my appreciation for what is going on here.

Comment

I'm trying to fix a Samsung T240 monitor that my son-in-law gave me to play with. I've been around a bit from the old IBM 1401 to modern PC's. Did a lot of programing on main frames to PC's. Since I'm retired I still like to tinker around with stuff.
              genob1

Comment

Trying to save a few bucks fixing magnavox 42mf231d 37

I have successfully repaired a few tvs with the help of this an a few other forums. Sure glad dad showed my how to solder & use a multimeter when I was young.

I have a magnavox 42mf231d 37 that would need to be smacked on the right side (facing TV) for a year. Now something burnt & no picture just sound. On the board (PBA CODE: LJ92-01200A) I found a bad looking cap (C5040) and i think it smells like R5090 & R5028 are fried - I am having trouble figuring out the colors on these fried resistors (red, black, ?, ? -burned) may be gold - anyone know what the correct resistors are for these two resistor spots. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Re: Trying to save a few bucks fixing magnavox 42mf231d 37

Originally posted by Tonyc1 View Post
                  I have successfully repaired a few tvs with the help of this an a few other forums. Sure glad dad showed my how to solder & use a multimeter when i was young.

I have a magnavox 42mf231d 37 that would need to be smacked on the right side (facing TV) for a year. Now something burnt & no picture just sound. On the board (PBA CODE: LJ92-01200A) I found a bad looking cap (C5040) and i think it smells like R5090 & R5028 are fried - I am having trouble figuring out the colors on these fried resistors (red, black, ?? burned) may be gold - anyone know what the correct resistors are for these two resistors. Any help would be appreciated.
                  Start your own thread in the appropriate forum section please. This thread is for introductions and help will not be given here!

But good to have you
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

Hi, I really don't know anything about power boards etc. But I want to try and repair my Philips 50" plasma tv that just clicks when I turn it on. I hope I can learn something on this forum.

Comment

Hello!

Geez, that was easy...and my parents always told me not to talk to strangers!

I have been a professional computer network admin for 13 years, and I can fix nearly everything that breaks. My wife calls me "Mr. Fix It."

This time, one of her monitors has me stumped, so I humbly turn to the larger brains here.

Gregg Hill

Comment

Hello everyone !

Samsung 226bw brought me to this forum and i think its the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Who would've thought replacing bad caps was so knowledge rewarding and fun.

Cya around badcap fraggers !

Comment

Hi everyone.

Ive come to this forum after searching about bad capacitors on a Dell GX620 USFF. Although I don't work in IT as a profession I have a keen interest in repairing PCs and also replacing and repairing broken hardware. I love being able to make use of something that would otherwise be thrown away.

Matt

Comment

Hello fellow fixers. I have been tinkering with electronics since I was a kid. I worked in the industry for a few years about 20 years ago. I stumbled across this site and was excited to find it. Currently I am trying to repair a computer monitor and am trying to brush up on my knowledge of component selection. Its been a long time haha. I will definitely be seeing you all around the forum.

-Chris

Comment

Hello everyone, fred0927 here, trying to become a little bit more educated, I hope i could learn a lot from you guys, Thanks and hopefully see you around.

Comment

Hello everyone! I have been an Avionics tech in Air Force for the past 20 years. I found the forum while searching for caps to replace on a XFX GeForce 6000 GT card. The caps on the on the way and I am looking forward to sharing knowledge with you all.

Comment

I am an Electronic Engineer Trained in Canada been in the Electronic repair service from early eighties hope being here will help some other techs also a Nesda member

Comment

Hello everyone,
                                    and thanks for wellcomeing me to this forum. My name is Gordan, I am from Croatia, mechanic by profession, with electronics as a hobby. Brought here by malfunctioning syncmaster 720 monitor. Good luck in "bug hunt".

Comment

Hello.

I'm just here reading up about troubleshooting electronics, small projects and repairs. I've stumbled into a Vizio that needs repair so I'll be spending plenty of time in the TV section reading.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I'm here also to read and learn from more experienced members. I've been a ham for 21 years, and just bought my first digital oscilloscope last week. I don't have much hands on repair experience, but learning one step at a time is part of the fun!

Comment

Hello everybody
                                          i'm a electronics hobbyist and I have fixed many TV and monitors but by this forum I find the solution for most of my technical problems
                                          Thanks to all

Comment

Working...
                                          X