Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony MBX 247 Laptop Dead. Need help ( Pics attached )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony MBX 247 Laptop Dead. Need help ( Pics attached )

Here I have this Sony laptop that is dead. Upon opening it saw SMD capacitor almost burnt . I did remove it and haven't replaced it yet. The board still not not start. I want to know is it essential to put a new one ? I have also flashed the bios chip with a new one and still nothing happens.

Also from what I have observed.. the bios chip ( Pin8 ) has around 1 volt..
    The power button has around 1.5 volt..
    5 volt and 3 volt Always is present though.

I have attached the two images .. 1 of the capacitor that was burnt and the other that produces the AC_OK signal and I want to learn how that works..

ADAPTER SECTION of THE IMAGE
    PR187 has 19 V on one end and on the other end it is 0 volt. Is that normal ?

BURNT CAPACITOR IMAGE

PC 61 was burnt and short as well.

Thanks everyone for your time.
    Attached Files

Re: Sony MBX 247 Laptop Dead. Need help ( Pics attached )

test Voltage on KU1 SIO IC pin 115 +3VPCU
    test Voltage on KU1 SIO IC pin 102 & 108
    test Voltage on PL13 out put +3VPCU

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
      test Voltage on KU1 SIO IC pin 115 +3VPCU
      test Voltage on KU1 SIO IC pin 102 & 108
      test Voltage on PL13 out put +3VPCU
      First of all thanks techtiger for helping me on this.

The readings are as follows :

KU1 SIO IC pin 115 +3VPCU = 3.3V
      KU1 SIO IC pin 102 = 3.3 V
      KU1 SIO IC pin 108 = Varies from 0.5 V to 1 Volt

PL13 output has 3.3 Volt.

Please guide me how to proceed.

Comment

Also I am not sure where exactly is the Power switch connector (CON1) getting the voltage . I checked the schematic but could not find it. I can see voltage source for capslock, scroll and numlock though.

Comment

Originally posted by IamPritesh View Post
          Also I am not sure where exactly is the Power switch connector (CON1) getting the voltage . I checked the schematic but could not find it. I can see voltage source for capslock, scroll and numlock though.
          power swith connect to CON1 pin 9 should be 3.3V NBSWON, remove the power button and test R107 for any short with multimeter after test pin 9 with out power button for voltage
          Attached Files

Comment

for the PR187 it is normal for me PQ35 is a N-Channel Dual Fet when pin 5 goes high pin 3 goes GND

Comment

power swith connect to CON1 pin 9 should be 3.3V NBSWON, remove the power button and test R107 for any short with multimeter after test pin 9 with out power button for voltage
              R107 has not shorting. The voltage is around 0.3 volt at R107

KU2 Pin 4 and Pin8 have 3.3 volt.

Comment

test KU1 pin 108 with multimeter resertence with out power , did you test with out the power button ? test KU3 pin 7 & 8 for voltage
                Last edited by Techtiger; 01-25-2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

in post #1 you have mention that the BIOS is getting 1V so now the Bios have 3.3V, test KU1 pin 108 with multimeter resertence with out power , did you test with out the power button ?
                  BIOS (U3) is still showing 1 volt on pin8
                  KU2 has 3 .3 volt on Pin 4 and pin 8

I will test the pin 108 resistance asap.

Comment

BIOS (U3) is still showing 1 volt on pin8
                    KU2 has 3 .3 volt on Pin 4 and pin 8

I will test the pin 108 resistance asap.
                    We are having a Confucian with the bios in your mob you have two Bios IC KU3 is your 1st Bios 2nd PCH U3 this IC gets Power after pressing the power button

Comment

We are having a Confucian with the bios in your mob you have two Bios IC KU3 is your 1st Bios 2nd PCH U3 this IC gets Power after pressing the power button
                      Sorry for the confusion.. KU3 location has no chip . Its empty.

Pin 108 of Io Chip resistance to ground is around 8K Ohms
                      using multi-meter.

Update : Just rechecked the schematics and it clearly says that KU3 is not mounted with an asterisk symbol.
                      Last edited by IamPritesh; 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

What should I do next ? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comment

Did you replace PC61 yet? I guess it's required, it's part of a voltage multiplier that generates 15VPCU.
                          15VPCU is required to drive the gate of Q1, the MOSFET switching +3V_S3 from +3V_S5.

After replacing PC61, make sure PD27 and PD28 are not shorted, and that PC62/PC66/PC69 aren't either.
                          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
                            Did you replace PC61 yet? I guess it's required, it's part of a voltage multiplier that generates 15VPCU.
                            15VPCU is required to drive the gate of Q1, the MOSFET switching +3V_S3 from +3V_S5.

After replacing PC61, make sure PD27 and PD28 are not shorted, and that PC62/PC66/PC69 aren't either.
                            Thanks piernov for you value able inputs. I am unable to find a replacement for 0.1U/25V cap. Does it need to be exactly the same capacitor ?

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post

piernov why is NBSWON getting 1V & the Bios Chip pin8 1V ?

Comment

Sorry for the confusion.. KU3 location has no chip . Its empty.

Pin 108 of Io Chip resistance to ground is around 8K Ohms
                                using multi-meter.

Update : Just rechecked the schematics and it clearly says that KU3 is not mounted with an asterisk symbol.
                                can you uplode PIC of that bios chip

Comment

can you uplode PIC of that bios chip
                                  There is no chip on KU3
                                  Also does the capacitor need to be of the same value for pc61 ?

Comment

• +3V_SPI come from +3V_S5 via R61 (short pad), When PQ44 ON require trigger from RVCCD (approx 12V).
                                    • S5_ON generated 15VPCU be RVCCD.
                                    • Maybe bios not working had effect KBC not work well.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by on/off View Post
                                      • +3V_SPI come from +3V_S5 via R61 (short pad), When PQ44 ON require trigger from RVCCD (approx 12V).
                                      • S5_ON generated 15VPCU be RVCCD.
                                      • Maybe bios not working had effect KBC not work well.
                                      thanks ON/OFF got the point

Comment

Oh yeah didn't even see it was required for +3V_S5… on/off is right.
                                        Yes capacitor should most likely be replaced with the same value. 0.1U/25V are pretty common though. Higher voltage rating will work as well but it'll not be easier to find a 50V rather than a 25V (and package may be too big).
                                        OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Working...
                                        X