Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 40 inch TV -Uncommon Backlight issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 40 inch TV -Uncommon Backlight issue.

Hi Respected forum members,
    I have trying to resolve a Samsung TV MODEL-UA40K5000ARLXL multiple issue since last 1.5 months, but now i am stuck having tried almost everything as per my limited knowledge, and hence I seek you support.

Issue : The TV turned off automatically one day.
    No Backlight ,No image on screen(flashlight test done),no standby
    Samsung repair technician could not find the fault and asked to replace the PSU board, which my ego did not agree with
    The Board is L40MSFN-FHS BN44-00851B.
    I have searched the whole internet and haven't been able to find the circuit diagram from last 1.5 months.

Diagnostic Steps taken by me :

I opened the TV after watching several YouTube videos for common faults with LCD/LED Tv's and how to fix them.
    1.I checked voltages in the Hot section till high voltage capacitors and the voltages are between 325 to 345volts DC after bridge rectifier.
    Fuse was okay too.
    However the secondary side (Cold side) one schottky Diode was found shorted .( I thought I found the common fault and could fix easily)
    While proceeding with multimeter checks, I might have shorted the board somewhere , then the fuse went out.
    2.I misread the fuse number and replaced with 10 amps normal fuse as opposed to 3.15 amps ceramic one (its not easy to find components in India ,even with full specs) ,next when plugged in AC mains , the thermistor blew up.
    I was scared but not done yet.
    3.I increased my knowledge about the primary circuit and learned function of each and every component .
    Finally I found the MOSFET to be shorted on primary side .
    I searched for proper components in local market as per original component data sheets ,then replaced equivalent values Fuse ,MOSFET & Thermistor on primary side & schottky diode on secondary side.(image 1 -InkedSamsung PSU1 attached)

4.Once Again the voltages were reaching the capacitors but not beyond .
    I suspected the PWN IC to be bad which switches the MOSFET on/off to start the main transformer ,After searching more on internet ,I found a post which explained how to check PWM IC 3S111 and found the PWM IC was the issue and replaced with original(Image 2-InkedSamsung PSU2) and yes I was able to bring the TV back to life .

Partial problem solved :The Standby came on , sound came on , image came on BUT NO backlight.

5.I once again searched internet and then opened by full TV to check the LED strips to my surprise each LED checked individually was lighting up, since i didn't have bench power supply to check full strips .(Dis-Assembling & Assembling TV took 6 pain full hours)

Plugged again in AC main the TV still runs with image & sound but no backlight.

Help required :Now I think the LED driver IC maybe at fault but again i have no schematics as there is nothing written on the chip ,no matter what magnification level I use, its blank.(Image 3-InkedSamsung PSU3 attached)
    I have checked the MOSFET for LED circuit ,that is not shorted but When after switching off the TV ,I put Multimeter red probe to "Drain" and "black probe" to "Gate" terminals the LED strips light up for a short time. That proves its working.

Additionally I have also checked that it's not the main board at fault ,but PSW itself(Check method -Switch on TV with everything plugged in ,then disconnect the main board cable, if led lights up the issue with main board , if not PSU fault ).
    Fault code :Now after switching on tv, Standby LED blinks 3 times,Sound okay ,image okay

Any help next steps will be highly appreciated.
    Let me know if you need specific voltage checks at connectors , I can capture an send.

Thank you in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Samsung 40 inch TV -Uncommon Backlight issue.

Turn the tv on and measure the voltages on each LED string.
    make sure the PFC is working.
    Last edited by CapLeaker; 03-28-2021, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Measure voltages at LED connector when TV is on

Comment

"Fault code :Now after switching on tv, Standby LED blinks 3 times,Sound okay ,image okay" So what are the symptoms now? "sound ok image ok"??

Comment

Hi Capleaker & Alfatv;
          Thank you for your quick response .
          The LED connector voltages captured at each pin are attached in the image .
          The TV was switched on with all connectors connected .

Sorry But How do we check PFC?Is there any circuit /component I need to check .Apologies ,I only has basic knowledge of electronics .
          Attached Files

Comment

Backlight is not turning on, as explained in the post earlier and I have just attached all led connector voltages above after tv is switched on.

Comment

If I read post #1 correctly the problem is no backlight.

If you disconnect the main board and power on the TV do the backlights come on or flash.

Can you post a photo of what is in the black box, image attached

You can test the led voltage similar to the Shopjimmy video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIrlbsbiltY
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dick_barton; 03-28-2021, 11:04 AM.
              Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Seems like you have bad leds in the backlights BUT I'm not understanding your English either.
                Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-28-2021, 11:03 AM.

Comment

As i explained earlier ,I have individually checked all leds ,None of them are shorted.
                  The Check method was to put 2.8 volt input at each SMD resistor terminal and each led lit up every time.I triple checked it as , disassembly and assembly is not very easy .

Comment

Bad English...So check the powerboard ALL by itself...its not really that hard, another case of the hard headed...I'm out, don't like the vibe.
                    Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-28-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Individually checked leds is not the same as when full current of 100's of mA's is flowing through them.

Do a check as in the video given.

What is written in that box. Photo would be usefull.

Another point is that any poor connection in the backlight circuit would also cause the backlights to not come on even though the leds themselves are good.
                      Last edited by dick_barton; 03-28-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

No , they dont flash or come on , thats the issue ,if it either did any of those then it would have been the main board issue. The Samsung technician also said that main board is okay , its the PSU.

and yes the that black box does say LED connector voltages to be 101 v. Image attached
                        Attached Files

Comment

So why you asking if you have it all figured out??

Comment

Apologies, For the "BAD ENGLISH" & also I didn't mean to upset anyone here.
                            I am here seeking all the help I can, i can throw money at it get it fix, the point is to learn and grow. Cheers!!!

Comment

Thank you for the picture. Post #12 shows a legend indicating that the led voltage should be 101V and you show the voltage to be considerably higher in post #5 which normally indicates you have a led(s) problem or a problem with one of the connections/connector in the led array.

Comment

Thank you ,okay , I will check the full strip & connector again but Sorry which video link I should refer to ? Also I don't have Led strip checking equipment, What voltage should I be providing to check the strips individually or collectively?
                                This TV has 3 strips of 7 LED's each.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dick_barton View Post
                                  thank you for the picture. Post #12 shows a legend indicating that the led voltage should be 101v and you show the voltage to be considerably higher in post #5 which normally indicates you have a led(s) problem or a problem with one of the connections/connector in the led array.
                                  +1000

Comment

Thank you the link just came through. .

Comment

@dick_barton ,Thanks for the video,I did follow this video, but when I disconnected the LED connector ,while TV is turned on and checked the voltage , I get 168.2 to 171v at top pin only and rest all the positive pins as per legend are zero?
                                      As per video for PSU to be okay , it should show the normal voltages at each pin.
                                      Does this mean the PSU is bad somewhere ?
                                      I will check the LED strips again and feedback.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

How many leds strips and how many leds on each strip are there in the panel?

Led connector Pins 4 and Pin 6 connected together
                                        Led connector Pins 7 and Pin 8 connected together

Led strip 1 connected between Pin 8 & 9
                                        Led strip 2 connected between Pin 6 & 7
                                        Led strip 3 connected between Pin 3 & 4
                                        Pins 1, 2 & 5 not connected
                                        Last edited by dick_barton; 03-28-2021, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X