Vizio M3d550kde Black and White screen menu has color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio M3d550kde Black and White screen menu has color

So I have a Vizio M3d550kde around 2011 per date on a sub board. The tv works well except that the input on HDMI inputs 1-4 are all displayed in black and white - (other inputs not tested and unknown if they are good or not.) -where the menu selection and initiation screen show full fine color. I was thinking ok fine Main board replacement, but then I thought wait a minute, the menu display comes from the Main board. Any thoughts or suggestion for repair?
    I did a factory reset just to make sure someone didn't change a setting that would allow this weird behavior from the tv.

The tv is a salvage to be given away, but more importantly it saves it from the land fill. The TV has never been opened until now. Looks great inside..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ca2014mp2; 05-06-2019, 04:54 PM.

Re: Vizio M3d550kde Black and White screen menu has color

Try a different input as all the hdmi seem to go through the same processor ic, There may be a setting somewhere in the service menu , maybe there is a selection for the type of ic used on this board, the menu will be generated by the main microprocessor, the hdmi has its own processor. Try component in or tuner

Comment

YEP! confirmed, put in a usb with audio and pictures and boom picture is just as good as the menu screen. Now on that HDMI chip, can it be purchased, re-flowed? other? How can i source that chip?

Thanks for the help

Comment

this is a good one becuase HDMI input is a seperate RGB or R-Y B-Y and G channels there is no COLOR osc no 3.58 mhz to demodulate anything ... how could it be B and W ? since the signal entered the tv as a demodulated color signal already are you sure its no just missing one of the primary colors like red? that will make it look almost colorless...

Comment

Hey Anthonystv, No, I'm sure. It's pure 8 scale ... black to grey unless you bring up the menu then it's color.. So, as for the latest, I put in a usb and displayed a picture and the color was perfect along with good menu's color. I fully suspect that vid input and ant and the rest all work too.. Just the hdmi is bad.. do you know of any know issues with the ic or where I can get a new chip?

Comment

read the number off the chip and post it well see if we find it it will be a bear to change it Im confused on just how its doing this... but I have seen some strange crap lately ! LOL

Comment

I suspect it is not the TDA19998HL hdmi chip, I suspect it is something in the service menu that is causing the issue, something wrong with how the data is interpreted, orrrr
              Try a different hdmi source, that may be the issue and not the tv. i've seen this before with some sources
              Last edited by R_J; 05-06-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Yup that's the one in all her glory.. see pict also this is an modest replacement as I have the right tools for this job. I'm going to reflow it either way.. but I just tested all the pins and they are good so I don't think a reflow will work but either way it will prep the silver off the board and dilute it with some good ol' lead.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ca2014mp2; 05-06-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

No it's not the source, that is proven good as in the HDMI cable. I did a factory reset to kill off any adjustments made in the past.. However I have not been able to get into the service menu. I've tried all the different patterns listed from Factory-reset.com with page link to here

so if the tv factory reset doesn't clear those setting then that might be the issue. But I would need the actually sequence to access that menu..

Any cool ones you have that are not covered on the link above please send over..
                  Last edited by ca2014mp2; 05-06-2019, 09:41 PM.

Comment

The source may work on other tv's but may have some issue when connected to the vizio, maybe a compatabilty issue, thats why I suggested a different hdmi source. I doubt it has anything to do with that ic.
                    I guess you did a firmware update.
                    Last edited by R_J; 05-06-2019, 10:05 PM.

Comment

ok I can prove a test to another vizio of mine.. a VIZIO M552i-B2 Will that suffice as proof for you idea? give me a few min to set it up..

Comment

That will prove compatabilty between your source and the M552I-B2, not between the source and the M3d550kde. I guess you only have the one hdmi source.

Comment

wait what? If I prove hdmi source to m55 using a laptop and then prove it to the m3d. You are saying that wont work? I don't agree with that logice but Ok, I'll swing with you on this, let me add a second hdmi source and a second hdmi cable. Kind of like a double blind test.. Ok.. give me a min.
                          BTW the first test was done and the cable and hdmi worked on the m55 but didn't work on the m3d.
                          One min for the next test.

Comment

ok so two sources and two hdmi were tested and all tested for color on the m3d failed to produce color. The same two sources and two hdmi were tested on a m552 and all four devices worked. I just finished the reflow of the chip

Success... the reflow worked color on all hdmi points.. go figure
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by ca2014mp2; 05-06-2019, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Thats good to here you have it fixed, it may have just been a poor solder connection on the ic, I usually check to see if any of the pins are loose by using a needle and seeing if any of the ic's pins move when pushed
                              likely one of the common clock or data pins had an issue

Comment

Hi I'm New here came across similar problem as ures I just got the tv today a thrift shop $ 100
                                I have Vizio M3D550KDE when I put in store mode or I'm setting up tv I can see the whole screen in color how ever when I try to put in avs cable to game or DVD player it shows black and white color as well when I hook it up to HDMI I don't think it's the led or lcd screen wht could be I also tried a regular avs dvd player to test but when I got home I was trying to hook up and old PS1 and Xbox one HDMI and still black and white I do have technical experience as well with PC's

Comment

ca2014mp2 sry to bother any ideas?

Comment

Could be same problem, I would try the reflow. If not sure how check youtube, need to be careful with temps, too much heat can kill the chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Nientiendo View Post
                                      ca2014mp2 sry to bother any ideas?
                                      Can you take a close up photo of the HDMI IC and the circuitry that powers it.
                                      I've recently repaired a couple of mainboards that had image colour issues by replacing the capacitors.

You could try a gentle warming of the area with a hair dryer to see if it has an effect.

Comment

Hi thnk u for replying ok when I get chance to take apart I'll take picture question would it be easier if I just get a whole new replacement mainboard and switch it out it's just option would tht work?

Comment

Working...
                                        X