This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Wikipedia says that "A capacitor is a passive two-terminal electrical component that stores electrical energy in an electric field."
    I must admit that when I was a 12 year old that was not on my mind,
    but how big a bang it could make, when it was heated over a candle light in the playground shelter.

These days I'm more worried about getting fake/bad caps than getting the right electrical component or the size of the bang :-)

Comment

hello, hello

Comment

posting a reply

Comment

Hi...followed activation rules and a post as described

"All you need is ONE post to be able to have full unrestricted access, and the easiest way to accomplish that is simply posting an introduction of yourself or say hello in THIS THREAD."

but still don't have permission to post or edit my profile. anyone else have same issue? many thanks!

Comment

My Name is David, live in the United Kingdom, hello everyone, came across this forum whilst looking for some advice on repairing circuits and decided to join so I can ask questions and receive more help and guidance. Great Forum.

David

Comment

Hi All, I'm Steve from the UK. Found this site whilst checking out the capacitors in the PSU of an old 1980s British built computer.

Comment

I have 65" Samsung HDTV I purchased from Costco about three years ago. The model is: un65f6350afxza

For the most part I have been extremely happy with it. It sits at the foot of our Kingsize bed, and from my pillow it is about 11-12 feet. With Blu-ray and high definition streaming news channels, it is fabulous. I no longer watch as a spectator. I am "in" the virtual reality, or "in the boat" on a high seas adventure.

But within the first 24 months the upper portion of the screen started to get darker. In the end, Costco sent out a technician and replaced the entire screen, which seemed to correct the problem . . . until a few months ago when the bottom portion of the screen started getting a little darker than normal.

I don't know . . . maybe this is an inherent flaw. Perhaps the newer 65" Samsungs have replaced the bug. But if I have to purchase one of these every three years . . . I'll have to cut back on food or something.

Anyway, I am glad I found your forum. I am very acquainted with the forum software (since 1999). Hope I can find some answers, and hop I can contribute.

Your Visitor 200

Comment

Hello my nickname is potatopie, 17 is how old I was when I started working/learning in electronics and appliances. Im now in my late 20's. Ive never really have posted in any forums before so I'm new at it.

When I first started working in an appliances/electronics store I was selling on the sales floor, did deliveries and installs.

Then my dad bragged on me to the boss how I fixed his denon amplifier (I was a noobie back then it took me a while lol). Then the boss was like hmmm I can use you to repair. So the tv/appliance repair man started giving me some pointers here and there teaching me tv repair (he has told me stories of repairing radios on river boats back in the old days) watch out for those transmitting antennas they will burn you if you touch em, lol!!!

So I was watching and learning about (crt, lcd, plasma, dlp, etc) while helping on sales, deliveries, and installs, lol I was all over the place. After learning for almost 2 years, something happened while I was stumbling to figure out a crt tv (tv repair man usually helps me). Suddenly the brick wall in my mind came tumbling down and I could understand everything tv (well mostly power supply related, hot section, vertical section and somewhat understand of tuners and color driver transistors) and the concept of the flow of current in electronics (follow the current). After that mental block was gone, I went and must have repaired half a dozen tv's that day.

I rarely worked on the sales floor now(well only if there was nothing to fix, you know how it is.)So I have been repairing all sorts sorts of things ever since. The latest thing I have been studying on is radios and audio amplifiers.
                  I just love learning
                  Oh almost forgot, I live in Missouri and I do too much stuff to pile it all in this first post, ill save it for later lol

Comment

Hey everyone my name is Ryan and I'm from the New Haven area. I have been in the PC business since my early 20's. (about 15 yrs now) I've used the threads as a resource many times in the past but never posted. Recently I have been getting into laptop circuit board repair which again led me here. Its good to be here.

Comment

Hello, I'm a new member... Found the forum by google search for a particular problem. I'm an electrical engineer mostly retired with long experience in the test and measurement field, specifically telephone test equipment. retired but still doing a little consulting. Before telephony worked for NASA in Clear Lake in the early 70's.
                      I like fixing things and HATE throwing away repairable items.

Comment

Hello my name is Sean. I am a car fanatic more than anything. A YouTube video of repairing a Toshiba TV referenced this site and brought me here. I also have a few vehicle ECUs that have bad caps (pun intended) and transistors. My electrical knowledge is very limited when it comes to components. I'm familiar with 12v systems and have done multiple engine swaps with doing all my own wiring (and mechanical work). I'm still learning a lot. That's all for now.

Comment

Hi all. Like to try to repair stuff. Might be more successful now

Comment

Hey everyone! Registered for this site like five years ago, making my first post as I'd like to start using this site as a useful resource for fixing stuff.

Cheers!

Comment

Hi...what a great forum and love the hilarious name. I guess bad capacitors a phenomena.

Comment

Greetings from Croatia. I have hands on computers since the early '80s ...
                                Twenty years already run a business repairing and selling computers.
                                In this forum I have already found a lot of useful tips, so I decided to join the the company.

Comment

Hi I am an electronics and electrical repair tech and found this a use full resource on repair.

Comment

Hey badcappers, Im new to the site and I look forward to learning as much as i can. Im a novice tv repair man and I have one tv that is getting the best of me. It is the dreaded Sharp Aquos LC60LE64OU. I want it fixed and out of my house. I paid too much just to trash it.....if anything i will blow it up before i put it in a landfill.

Comment

hello everyone...
                                      nice to be part of your comunity

Comment

hi all will be next nicola tesla watch me

Comment

Hello, looking forward to interacting on the forum.

Comment

Working...
                                          X