Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large vs small electrolytics reliability

Goodmorning.

I have a curiosity: can low voltage/capacity electrolytic capacitors (e.g. 16V/47uf) last longer than high voltage / capacity ones (e.g. 63V/2200uf)?

I ask because many threads indicate a life of electrolytics that does not go beyond 15 years (it seems to me that Panasonic has written something in its documents), but I have several musical instruments bought in 1980 that work perfectly: they have inside them many small electrolytics. I tried asking an electrical engineering friend to unsolder some and measure them, and these were incredibly within spec. They are over 40 years old..

While some other devices with large electrolytics, after about 30 years showed values out of specifications ...

Is there an explanation for this?

Re: Large vs small electrolytics reliability

they are liquid filled, the smaller they are, the less you have to lose through drying or leakage or other causes.

if you look at some datasheets, you often see that 5mm caps last only 1000-2000 hours at max temperature, but larger ones can be as high as 12,000 hours.

Comment

Quality of the design determines ultimate lifetime and heat accelerates death.
      If your device never gets hot or even warm, even crap capacitors can still last a very long time. No question they will still eventually fail but it can be many decades out.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

film caps, mylar green caps and polyester caps can be short circuited internally, hm meter shown 2.xx Kohm, especially brand new from the bag.
          Last edited by bestsystem; 03-17-2021, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X