• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firmware for sony KDL40X 3500

my sony has great pic and sound for 6 seconds then ,5 blinks
    which usually means bad t con or lvds cable.or on this model logic board
    given that the pic is good ,i suspect corrupt f/w
    sony website no longer has f/w for this model .
    ive searched the net no luck ,
    according to the service manual f/w update is possible with usb on this model
    i was able to enter service menu and quickly do factory reset (press 8,mute,0, power on)
    but micro still turns off after 6 seconds
    .tried powering on with sby button on tv pressed, no luck

sorry for repeating a post on this model but the previous post was related to problem with backlight which is now ok
    for me this tv has become quite a challenge

Re: firmware for sony KDL40X 3500

as i know this set had cooling Fan / Fans ... at your first threat (https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92081 ) of this set i didn't see any Fan !!!! ???

Comment

There was a recall, wonder if they can at least help you with the firmware, like direct you to where it is or send it to you??:

Sony: Product recall
      IMPORTANT : if you own one of the following models: SONY KDL-40D3500 , SONY KDL-40D3550 , SONY KDL-40V3000 , SONY KDL-40W3000 , SONY KDL-40X3000 , SONY KDL-40X3500 or KDL- 40D3400, KDL-40D3660.
      Then you must contact Sony in order to carry out a free control of your TV following a component which could be defective and generate overheating and ignition of the product.
      Click here for details of the terms and conditions.

Comment

Recall was quite a while back but it seems like they wouldn't want them catching fire, no matter how long ago it was.

Comment

The updated firmware was also suppose to quiet down the fans. NOT to be confused with the recall, which was for faulty component/s.
          Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-08-2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

yes my set does have two fans .
            apparently the f/w upgrade was to make the fans quieter as original owners complained about the noise they made
            ive trawled through sony website to see if i can contact them ,
            but you go round in circles there doesnt seem to be any way of e mailing them about this
            perhaps these older models they no longer want to help you with
            the website is designed to prevent any contact with them

Comment

i think if the fans dont work ie the set running too hot the error is 7 blinks

Comment

Deos seem so, maybe a member here has a good phone number or good contact info for them.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                  Deos seem so, maybe a member here has a good phone number or good contact info for them.
                  thanks fingers crossed

Comment

https://services.sony.co.uk/supportm...ectors-lcd-tvs

maybe worth filling in this form and seeing if they will provide you with the firmware no harm in asking i guess

Comment

yours first post and this you described same issue 6 seconds perfect picture then out.. its fan spins problem not firmware... put new PC fan or clean the shift of the original.. we discussed this before, when spins low resistances will rise result tv shutdown to protecting.

Comment

ok done that will wait to see if they get back to me

just wondered if there is any way to desensitise the protect cct
                        to see if anything draws too much current
                        one thing i tried was to run the t con and logic board via external 12v bench supply
                        which i had previously frozen with freezer spray
                        then applied 12v and looked closely to see which conponent thawed first ,all components stayed frozen for same time so this was inconclusive
                        on the logic board (the pre t con) there were a number of caps that esr value were suspect so i replaced them and checked for any s/c sadly no luck

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                          yours first post and this you described same issue 6 seconds perfect picture then out.. its fan spins problem not firmware... put new PC fan or clean the shift of the original.. we discussed this before, when spins low resistances will rise result tv shutdown to protecting.
                          thank you Diah ,
                          once again you have come up with something i did not consider
                          mainly due to the number of blinks being 5 not 7

Comment

ok unplugged both fans ,still 5 blinks not 7
                            heated up tv with hairdrier tried again ,still 5 blinks
                            removed fans ,tested with 12v supply ,both fans spin with very low current drain .
                            measured resistance of each fan and compared with similar 3 pin fans all measure the same
                            could there be some temperature sensor faulty ?

Comment

does this work?
                              1. In standby mode, press the following buttons on the Sony remote:

DISPLAY....5....VOL(-)....TV POWER

2. On the left side are the blink codes. On the right hand side is the error count.

3. Under 005, you'll see three listings... TCON, HFR, and P-ID (pane

Comment

Is there 12 volts at the connectors of the fans, you know so they are getting 12 volts?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbofz View Post
                                  ok unplugged both fans ,still 5 blinks not 7
                                  heated up tv with hairdrier tried again ,still 5 blinks
                                  removed fans ,tested with 12v supply ,both fans spin with very low current drain .
                                  measured resistance of each fan and compared with similar 3 pin fans all measure the same
                                  could there be some temperature sensor faulty ?
                                  1- set with out Fan connected will not work
                                  2- yours way of testing sorry to say wrong... no need to heat or any other... you have spins issue.. you need to Oil the shift of the original.. see if the shift fits exactly and there no play move on sides . put pc fan and switch on.. your set will working.

Comment

Originally posted by Diah View Post
                                    1- set with out Fan connected will not work
                                    2- yours way of testing sorry to say wrong... no need to heat or any other... you have spins issue.. you need to Oil the shift of the original.. see if the shift fits exactly and there no play move on sides . put pc fan and switch on.. your set will working.
                                    thanks ,i cleaned and oiled the original fans , same fault
                                    i removed them
                                    and replaced them with some from an old hitachi plasma
                                    same 12v ,3 lead type but just bigger in size.
                                    .same fault see pic (.i left them hanging over the top )
                                    the pic is blurred because i dont have enough time for camera to focus before tv goes off to 5 blinks
                                    during testing i use scart i/p as this usually means tv will auto select scart and i always get sound
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                      does this work?

2. On the left side are the blink codes. On the right hand side is the error count.

tried what you suggest but not enough time before 5 blinks ,i will keep trying

Comment

Originally posted by vinceroger69 View Post
                                        does this work?

ok i found if i switch to analogue and remove all i/p
                                        i can get in to self test mode:
                                        005 t con 2103081859
                                        007 temp error 0000000000
                                        009 fan error 0000000000
                                        008 auto prot 0000000000
                                        013 ballancer 0000000000
                                        i tried to take a pic but it was barely readable .
                                        whats interesting is that it doesnt show all the 002 to 013 codes every time
                                        but the only thing showing any error is 005
                                        Last edited by jimbofz; 03-08-2021, 01:29 PM. Reason: re word

Comment

Working...
                                        X