Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung UE49NU7100K melted diffuser

Hi,

I have seen some threads that touched this subject, but none of them actually answered the question I have in my mind.

I've bought a 'not working' Samsung UE49NU7100K, which turned out to be working but with no backlights. I did not bother to do any PSU measurings as TV itself is working, was pretty sure a single LED has burned out.
    After disassembling I was surprised to see edge-lit backlight and the diffuser which was cracked and melted in many, many places, almost like every single LED has burned it. Most of the LEDs look burned out by the way, which made me sure there is no point in replacing single bulbs, rather the whole strips.

My main question is: is the diffuser one-directional? It looks exactly the same thickness at every side, and I'm wondering if there is any point in replacing the LED strips and just twisting the diffuser upside down so the lights are 'touching' the clear, not melted side. If that's not the case, is there any place I can buy a replacement diffuser, or is it possible to DIY one?

Btw will the LED strip come off the heatsink with some help of a sharp blade and/or hot air? There are no screws on them and they look and feel attached pretty solid.

Many thanks for any advices and honestly sorry if that has been already answered.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mrsith; 03-24-2021, 01:11 PM.

Re: Samsung UE49NU7100K melted diffuser

1- the cracked plate worked in one direction, but its just coating or some use white reflector type at the other side to remain the light inside, ( at dark room use torch light and exam. you will see how light remain in and if from other side use the light will go throw.

Strips had metal lock, some by push from one side will release the lock, yours case i would recommend keep it in place and replace all LED at once.( they will be easy work as the distances between each long enough ) you can know the type and size and the working voltage. as it should be on it print label.

Comment

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93035

Comment

Thank you for the response.
        I have decided to buy another TV of the same model with cracked screen and just replace the panel. The LED strips are worth £30-40, the cracked TV was £50 with included postage. It's gonna save me a lot of time and hassle with the diffuser.

Not to open another thread - I have another TV from thresame family, UE55NU7172, bought as half screen not being backlit. After a quick inspection I have noticed black bars on the dark section of the screen. The TV has been previously opened and it seems that someone did or tried to disasseble the panel, probably to get to the baclights.
        Unplugged mainboard to check the LEDs, still just half of them is lit.
        I have 2 ideas, one of them is that something more than just LED's did fail thus creating the black bars, the other one is that someone might have disconnected the LED strip on purpose to cover the black bars and get rid of the TV, although this seems like a wee bit too much hassle to do that.
        Tried 'touching' the ribbons, no changes in the picture. There isn't too much sense in replacing LED's when the black bars are present. Any ideas what might be causing them? Many thanks in advance.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mrsith; 03-29-2021, 03:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Cannot edit post again. I have found the cause, it's partially torn flex ribbon cable. I'm sad, but I'm not going to give up without a fight. I'm gonna try and repair thst ribbon, I've seen it's possible, just veeeery difficult.

Comment

Working...
          X