Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CH341A problem reading bios chip

Morning all,

Trying to create a BIOS backup of a Winbond 25Q80DVIG chip. I bought the CH341A with test clip from Amazon (this one). I could not get it to read with the test clip, I assume the test clip was not making contact with the pins. I have de-soldered the chip and soldered it onto a breakout board included, but when trying to read the BIOS, I get a power surge warning in Windows and a too high power draw error on Mac.

Is this likely to be bad soldering, or another issue?

Last edited by JPToadstool; 05-16-2020, 03:53 AM. Reason: Missing pictures

Re: CH341A problem reading bios chip

do you get that error without the flash chip installed in the programmer?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      do you get that error without the flash chip installed in the programmer?
      No, only with it.

Comment

Did you insert the test clip correctly into the programmer (see pic)?

Do you get a red light when you plug it in?

Can you detect the chip in the software?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by luckydip; 05-16-2020, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the responses. I am not using a test clip as it didn't seem to be making contact with the pins with soldered to the M/B. I have desoldered and soldered onto the breakout board. I have a red light on power when plugging in - running without the breakout board installed shows the first message in the Terminal window. Plugging in with the breakout board and BIOS chip results in the second message and the notification about disabling USB.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JPToadstool View Post
            Hi, thanks for the responses. I am not using a test clip as it didn't seem to be making contact with the pins with soldered to the M/B. I have desoldered and soldered onto the breakout board. I have a red light on power when plugging in - running without the breakout board installed shows the first message in the Terminal window. Plugging in with the breakout board and BIOS chip results in the second message and the notification about disabling USB.

Sorry, I have no experience in using this with macbooks. Have you got a pc to test it with?

Looks like a connection/communication issue

Comment

Okay, I tried the CH341A on an old Thinkpad I had laying around, also had a 25xx chip, and it read this using the clip whilst attached to the board just fine. I'll try desoldering the chip to another breakout board and see how that goes.

Comment

I re-soldered it to a new breakout board and it worked fine. Thanks for your help though

Comment

Some of the ch341a black pcb versions need a volt mod - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair...er-supply-fix/
                  All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

Working...
                  X