Drilling holes laptop bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling holes laptop bottom

I wonder if drilling a few holes in the laptop case, on the bottom below the fan will actually help and decrease the CPU/GPU temps. I have one spare not so new laptop with first gen core i5, but the main issue is that while the cooling systen is clean, it runs rather hot - youtube tends to bring the laptop to about 60-64 degrees, even if power plan with 60% power limit restriction is used and the cpu itself does not go above 1.2-1.4GHz. It has integrated graphics, this is true, but the temps seem a little bit high... Even the SSD runs above 55-60 degrees, while it isnt actually intensively used...
    Disclaimer - All temps are in Celsius...65C = 149F
    Last edited by televizora; 08-04-2021, 09:52 AM.
    Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
    1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Re: Drilling holes laptop bottom

65°C is cold for a laptop.
    A good amount of recent laptops are designed to run just below thermal throttling under load which is often 95°C to 105°C.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

reminds me of the old apple aluminium mono-shell designs - you could iron your trousers with those!!

Comment

Originally posted by piernov View Post
        65°C is cold for a laptop.
        A good amount of recent laptops are designed to run just below thermal throttling under load which is often 95°C to 105°C.
        Well, it has integrated into the processor video and the processor itself is socketed. So, the prime concern in laptops about the possibility of mobo death is kinda of avoided here. But still, above 55-60C with 20-30% CPU load seems a little bit high. And its definitely not the thermal paste. I use Arctic Silver(made in USA haha or so the syringe says..) And have replaced the thermal pads with better. Yet, I would like to see temps like 40C when Idle and not above 55 under light load like youtube and so on.
        And there arent any bottom vents, so the airflow of the fan is not the best. BTW, the laptop is business series HP Probook 6540b... From the time, when HP still manufactured decent stuff
        Last edited by televizora; 08-04-2021, 10:57 AM.
        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

I briefly thought about that on my old Toshiba Satellite L750. It also has no direct air intake for the fan, but it would throttle when fully assembled. It would "only" reach 80°C when disassembled (with a Core i3, integrated graphics, and some Arctic Silver 5 that's older than the laptop itself).

Comment

I think the thin plastics involved in laptops wouldn't take kindly to drilling holes. Unless it never left a desk, it would disintegrate in a short period of time.

If it never left a desk it probably wouldn't be too hard to 3d print a new case with better airflow if you had a 3d printer big enough.

Comment

If there is space, you can also put the thin copper heatsinks with adhesive that they use for memory cooling on the heatpipes. I did this for my asus gaming laptop and it took the temps, well, a little bit down
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
              X