Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to clean old relays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best way to clean old relays?

I've got an old Motorola R2200 service monitor which gotten wonky, because the previous owner had it sit in a damp basement. Almost all basements are damp around here. Of course it uses an unobtainable relay. Most of the 80s stuff doesn't use sealed relays, rather have a see through plastic on top that pops off.

Problem is that this relay needs to be cleaned. However the relay is so small that my burnishing tools do not fit. Same problem with other old gear that use these small miniature relays with the clear top cover.

What's everyone's mini relay cleaning secret?
    IPO, Deoxit etc?

Re: What is the best way to clean old relays?

Dose relay have anything about it that is special about it

If not why not replace it with the same specifications or better and mount where you have room

Are talking about the degaussing relay for the screen
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

replace it

Comment

crocus cloth and switch cleaner

Comment

again, these relays can't be replaced because they were obsolete long time ago. And yes, it is about room constraints / location of the original residing relay. There is an option of relocating, but you really don't want to do that either when RF is in the game and the leads would be way too long.

Comment

pictures or part numbers would help

Comment

Aromat AC8043.1408

Comment

I have used some P600 sand paper cut into a thin strip and sometimes I will fold it to clean both contacts. You can find very fine paper 1000 ~ 4000 grit
                Last edited by R_J; 08-18-2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

i cant find any reference to that relay other than search hits on this thread!
                  got any pictures?

Comment

The dilemma is that this relay is under the card slots. Couldn't be any worse than that.
                    Attached Files

Comment

it looks similar to this one, but I cant make out the coil voltage on yours. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AROMAT-S-SE...-/131730385563
                      The coil resistance of 720Ω seems to be 12v coil, the 5v one has a 130Ω coil

The Panasonic S series might be have a replacement
                      Last edited by R_J; 08-19-2021, 10:35 AM.

Comment

My relay is 720Ω... There are 2 relays in there I noticed in the service manual. I guess, I have to find now the other one. The AG number on the relay is different on ebay. Anyway if I could find a sealed relay replacement, that would be the best idea.

Comment

I would say you have read the numbers wrong and it says something like Aromat AQ3043.1408
                          The drawing on the relay shows a "4 form A" configuration, the last two terminals are empty.
                          Panasonic S4EB-12V would be a replacement example if the pin spacing is correct:
                          https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...uUfO%2Fw%3D%3D

Attached Files
                          "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Thanks Per! The first 2 letters AC was wrong, but it’s an AG as far as I can see. The second letter is not a Q and not a C.

Comment

An old telecom tech told me to use printer paper to clean contacts and not remove all the plating.
                              If you can't get strips in the relay, then it's going to have to be a spray job.
                              I'm using PPE based stuff like DeOxit unless it's switching HV or mains.

Comment

I personally use the cheapest nastiest kind of toilet paper, the one that scratches your bum, lol. Then a burst of duster to blow away the fragments that have fallen inside and it's all good.
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  I personally use the cheapest nastiest kind of toilet paper, the one that scratches your bum, lol. Then a burst of duster to blow away the fragments that have fallen inside and it's all good.
                                  Toilet paper like in this commercial?
                                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTvjRyv0c5M

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                                    An old telecom tech told me to use printer paper to clean contacts and not remove all the plating.
                                    If you can't get strips in the relay, then it's going to have to be a spray job.
                                    I'm using PPE based stuff like DeOxit unless it's switching HV or mains.
                                    Yeah... kinda what I've been doing all along... IPO and Deoxit for those little buggers that no one can clean. Most of them switch RF (RX/TX relay) or band pass (filter board). I haven't found anything better than IPO and Deoxit D100 combo yet.

Comment

Working...
                                    X