Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Refrigerator Control Board WPW10310240

Originally posted by ron350 View Post
    Is that a round scorch mark above the yellow arrow?
    Yes it is! You can see a bit of exposed copper too. Is that a clue?

Comment

Refrigerator: Whirlpool Gold Series
      Model Number: gi5svaxvl01

Looks like the board has been worked on before.

Pin number 4 on in the area of visible trouble looks to be soldered to an exposed bit of copper on the circuit board. (See picture) Was this a viable repair choice, or is it a potential cause of the fridge not working. And I guess the deeper mystery . . . What happened with this pin / area of exposed copper to begin with?

Next to the pin, I noticed someone has wrapped a small piece of copper wire from one end of the resistor to the other. Clue to what's going on?

I used isopropyl alcohol to clean up the burn residue and I used a soldering iron to bring the solder from pin 4 to the exposed copper. The previous effort to connect to the exposed copper with solder (before I had the board) had become detached. I had no idea what I was doing. I think I made a solid connection and I don't think I messed anything up . . .

Tried plugging it back up and the fridge lights came on. That's all. No control panel to set temps, etc.

I found the fridge schematic and wiring diagram. I really have no idea what I'm looking at, beyond recognizing it's pen #4 on the 8 pin part that is possibly the trouble spot. (See pictures)

Any feedback or thoughts are appreciated. Again . . . all of this is WAY out of my league. I'm trying to learn.
      Attached Files

Comment

i would have removed that connector, to see if any more damage is hiding under it,
        then replaced any missing copper with wires probably using the remaining lengths from the caps.

but more importantly, is the pin burned, and is the oposing contact on the plug burned?

and THEN you try to find what caused it.

Comment

One more saved from the the landfill

As long as you take the lead and rap it around the other pin that is left on the trace you should fine

I have had to this type of repair quite a few times in the past and it works quite well
          Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 05-18-2020, 11:04 AM.
          9 PC LCD Monitor
          6 LCD Flat Screen TV
          30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
          10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
          6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
          1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
          25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
          6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
          1 Dell Mother Board
          15 Computer Power Supply
          1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
          2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
          All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

I would remove that wire across R62, the resistor is 470k and the wire is not a good idea. Then I would check the red fuse

Comment

I was on page one and noticed the resistor, then saw page two and your better photo of it, just wow!
              Anyway, now that it is removed have a look at the two circled areas.
              Looks like the fuse has arced over (small red circle) so check it, maybe it is open as R_J suggests.
              Then the soldering in the big circle looks like whoever had the bright idea with the resistor also did some soldering.
              But soldering with what I have no idea, certainly not a soldering iron!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Per Hansson; 05-18-2020, 12:51 PM.
              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

It looks like the relay M1 connects Pin1 Compressor to pin 4 A/C Line. Check if the fuse is ok, if it is, check for voltage across C5 (160VDC) Or you can check if you have any voltage across C12,C13 or C14

It looks like someone has removed D5 at one time, I would check it and the other diodes in that area.
                Last edited by R_J; 05-18-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Big capacitor C5 is way crooked! too crooked... and there is felt pen markings on the board so someone has replaced it, likely with a part too tall. D5 is pushed over as well. Like somebody tried to stuff the board in afterwards to make it fit.

I see that PCB trace melted on the connector run to the compressor relay, so there must have been an overcurrent. I would see if the compressor is not bagged?

Comment

I have a Maytag French door that the control panel just blinks when you push buttons. Already ordered a new board but was wanting to test skills on fixing control board. Anybody know what I should test on the board that would cause this. I tested one of the 10uf caps so far and it was fine just tedious taking them all out one at a time. Not sure where to look. No obvious burns or anything like that so.

Comment

Well, add me to the list of those thanking you for the very valuable info about changing the caps to repair the control board. You just saved me $398 for a new control board. I removed and tested all 4 caps and found one to be non functioning. I received the new caps yesterday, tested them before soldering them in. Installed the board in the fridge, plugged it in, and voila!!! We are back up and running.

EDIT: For those who are newbies like me, make sure you note polarity and position of the leads of the existing caps so you can install the new ones with positive to the positive hole on the board, and negative to the negative hole on the board. my understanding is that reversing them is not a good idea. On my board at least, the holes were two different sizes, with the hole for the negative lead being slightly elongated. This may not be the case for other boards, so ensure you verify.
                      Last edited by Luck123; 08-03-2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luck123 View Post
                        Well, add me to the list of those thanking you for the very valuable info about changing the caps to repair the control board. You just saved me $398 for a new control board. I removed and tested all 4 caps and found one to be non functioning. I received the new caps yesterday, tested them before soldering them in. Installed the board in the fridge, plugged it in, and voila!!! We are back up and running.

EDIT: For those who are newbies like me, make sure you note polarity and position of the leads of the existing caps so you can install the new ones with positive to the positive hole on the board, and negative to the negative hole on the board. my understanding is that reversing them is not a good idea.
                        Good repair saved tons of money
                        9 PC LCD Monitor
                        6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                        1 Dell Mother Board
                        15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

On a lark I tested all the caps on my broken Maytag dishwasher control board. They were all fine

Comment

Originally posted by SluggerB View Post
                            On a lark I tested all the caps on my broken Maytag dishwasher control board. They were all fine
                            Please describe what is wrong with your board and what is not working correctly
                            9 PC LCD Monitor
                            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                            1 Dell Mother Board
                            15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
                              Please describe what is wrong with your board and what is not working correctly
                              I had already posted in another thread. It was the transformer on the board. I couldn't find any replacements for sale and I'm not bothering to learn how to rewind it, I just bought a new board and swapped it in.

I was just commenting that everyone seems to have simple cap failures on things except for me

Comment

Working...
                              X