Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung PN51F8500AFXZA broke off the tuner's F connector, can't get tuner de-soldered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung PN51F8500AFXZA broke off the tuner's F connector, can't get tuner de-soldered

I can hear Fred Sanford now...."YOU BIG DUMMY".....I pulled the "F" connector out of the tuner by accident. The tuner number is BN40-00248B. Low and behold I had a scrap board with tuner number BN40-00248A. Although the tuner is different (according to Encompass.com) it's footprint on the board is exactly the same as the 248B so I decided to de-solder the tuner off the scrap board to see what I was getting in to.

As you can see in the picture the terminals and solder pads are super small. No matter what I tried I could not get either the terminals or support tabs to de-solder from the board using a soldering iron, de-soldering pump or braid. The only way I was able to get the tuner off the board was to pop it in a toaster oven I use for re-flows, heat it for 10min and it popped right off.

The Main Boards on the F8500 are scarce as hen's teeth and I don't want to mess it up when swapping the tuner out. Because of that I don't want to bake it in an oven. Are these intended to be removed with hot air? I don't think the tip on my soldering iron is too big for the job. It's about 1.5mm wide and the tip comes to a point. It appears I'm making enough contact for heat transfer to happen but they simply won't desolder.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DXseekerMO; 09-15-2021, 05:18 PM.
    They call me......."threadkiller"

Re: Samsung PN51F8500AFXZA broke off the tuner's F connector, can't get tuner de-sold

turn up the iron temp. add fresh solder and suck it away .

Comment

Re: Samsung PN51F8500AFXZA broke off the tuner's F connector, can't get tuner de-sold

Originally posted by petehall347 View Post
      turn up the iron temp. add fresh solder and suck it away .
      Thanks!
      They call me......."threadkiller"

Comment

Working...
      X