Bad Fimware on Vizio E422VA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Fimware on Vizio E422VA?

TV perpetually power cycles with a backlit Vizio logo. Looks like it keeps failing a power-on-self-test. Been reading about a possibly bad EEPROM, but the one thing I have yet to try is to plug in the TV via WIRED Ethernet.

Supposedly, the TV will download the most recent firmware and self-update.

Has this worked based on your experiences?

I can't find scorching, heat, or burning on the "offending" EEPROM on the video board.
    Attached Files

Re: Bad Fimware on Vizio E422VA?

ditto, same symptom on a failed E422VA. Tried enet to download firmware but didn't work (didn't think it would since not getting past V logo means OS not up and running so no enet driver and download software stack)

VIZIO service manual (links below) indicate USB firmware loading is possible but firmware not available anywhere online

https://www.manualslib.com/download/...io-E422va.html
    https://electronicshelponline.blogsp...-firmware.html

Anyone has the firmware here? Also trying my luck with VIZIO support.
    Last edited by howardc64; 02-16-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Hi,
      I think Nick's tv can do a board repair for that problem.
      I have used their service several times and can recommend them.
      https://www.nickstvs.com/apps/search...filter=product

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mu2 View Post
        I think Nick's tv can do a board repair for that problem.
        I have used their service several times and can recommend them.
        https://www.nickstvs.com/apps/search...filter=product
        Thanks for the link. Got this broken TV for free probably not worth beyond DIY at this point but hate to see it become trash.

Sounds like the EEPROM is the common failure and link below seems to be the only seller. Service manual shows its actually a 256Mx8 NAND Flash. I wonder if wear leveling is the issue? I have a 2013 Tesla Model S and the entertainment unit has a NAND Flash that wears out as Tesla dumps linux log like crazy and kills it. A few aftermarket shops doing flash replacement (10x bigger capacity so a lot more durable) + data transfer.

Going to leave some info here for future DIYers.

Service Manual

https://www.manualslib.com/download/...io-E422va.html

EEPROM source

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OABcBIrg5KE&t=5m50s

5m50s mark describes other possible issues including failing wifi board. Pulled wifi plug on mine and no difference.

Misc

Pulled side panel board plug in case whiskers shorted the power switches. Not issue in my case

Pulled CCFL connector, IR/LED board connector, T-Con connector, speaker connector. None changed failure behavior

Did the press power button for 60s while unplugged trick, no joy.

Plugged in USB drive in both USB ports and no difference (no firmware on it since can't find any online). Wanted to test is boot will recognize USB drive echo on screen. My guess is board might not be booting far enough to do so. Vizio US based support actually called back and said USB firmware update not available on this model. Not sure how true this is but they didn't have the files regardless.

Attaching my board pics for reference. Will take some voltage readings next.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by howardc64; 02-17-2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Deleted
          Last edited by howardc64; 02-17-2020, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Maybe that will work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EEPROM-FIRM...kAAOSweoBa~yzP

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
              Yes, thanks. Know about this option. Provider has to have a flash image and a programmer to make these. I think likely my problem. Like to study the main board some more to make sure CPU is not an issue. I would guess IR power on, V logo + T-Con board working probably means CPU is fine. When powered on and stuck on Vizio logo, enet IP/Mac address shows up on my network. Sounds like CPU is probably good.

Took readings on voltages. All the main board to PSU connection signal looks reasonable although I have no spec. 5, 12, 24V all there as well as 390V on the big PSU caps when BL on.

EEPROM/Flash seems to be the likely failure.
              Last edited by howardc64; 02-17-2020, 10:19 PM.

Comment

FIXED with reflow

Fixed this with a simple reflow after diagnostic steps below

- googled and read a whole bunch. Was able to ping the TV (enet connected) 10s after Vizio logo showed up. I reasoned the main CPU+RAM must be good based on this. Suspected the EEPROM (NAND Flash).
                - Reviewed the ebay EEPROM seller's feedback on this part. One buyer mentioned NAND works but wasn't his problem problem. Had to reflow the main SOC.
                - contacted the ebay seller with my symptoms, asked if he thought EEPROM will fix it. He said no but could be wrong of course. Hearing this, didn't want to gamble on EEPROM hearing from an expert.
                - From board repair services and ebay seller's youtube videos, found HDMI area also potential issue.
                - Took a heat gun and generally heated the backside and topside of the main SOC area (didn't remove EMI shield) and HDMI area. Didn't have a temp sensor so didn't dare to get it too hot. Didn't even see exposed solder joint get shiny.

Anyhow, it works now. Will test it for awhile and do a proper reflow if any problem shall occur.

BTW, my flash part was Hynix H27UAG8T2MTR BC which is a 16Gbit SLC flash. This is 4X bigger than many Samsung parts I see in most google photos of boards. My main board number shows its one of the later versions. 16Gbit SLC with wear leveling should be more durable than the Samsung 4Gbit parts. However, I don't know where wear leveling is done (in SOC HW or SOC SW) or if its even done at all.
                Last edited by howardc64; 02-20-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

FIXED with reflow

BTW, running the main board for about 1/2 day so far and nothing on there gets very hot. So no high temps thats commonly associated with failing solder joints. Maybe the board flexes in a particular way (CCFL panel is what gets hot on this set)? Maybe some whiskers got melted away? Don't know why such limited hot hair would have fixed this.

Comment

Working...
                  X