Vizio E701i A3E no power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio E701i A3E no power

I have a Vizio E701i-A3e that won't power on, no backlights, orange standby light comes on after a while. I hear humming on power supply board.
    I used backlight tester and got 177.2volts on all 3 sets going to backlights and they lit up.

T-con on-----0
    12v t-con----0
    nc
    led br-------4v
    led on------0
    Bl-err------5.02
    12v Reg----18.5
    12v Reg----18.5
    grd
    grd
    grd
    12v audio---18.5
    Ps-on-----4.78-4.85
    AC det----5.14
    3.3v------4.97-5v

Any ideas what to check next?

Re: Vizio E701i A3E no power

Vizio 1.jpg
    Vizio 2.jpg
    Vizio 3.jpg
    Vizio 4.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

Are the readings of 18.5v instead of 12v indications of problems in power supply? And the readings of 0v for t con board and backlight on from the power supply board or problem from main board? What does BL ERR do? Any help? There is no voltage going to t con.
      Last edited by stinger; 03-02-2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

I would try a mainboard replacement.

Comment

I replaced the main board and tv powered right up. The screen looked good for a few seconds and then started flashing and I heard arcing? and before I could power it off, the screen went black. I disconnected the ribbons to both side drivers after but now when I try to power it on the backlights will flash quick then nothing. I fear the screen could be toast now unless by chance something else blew. I haven't had a chance yet to check voltages, etc. but will tomorrow.

Comment

Ouch, then it sure seems like something other than mainboard, check for damage to the powerboard, that "arcing" you heard may have caused something that is visible, any bad smells to go with the arcing? fuse/s still ok?
            Last edited by nomoresonys; 03-04-2021, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Check the power supply solder connections on the transformers, especially the pins with the rivets. If the connections are ok, it could be that an led in the panel went bad.
              Last edited by R_J; 03-04-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I think it is the panel that went bad. When I power tv on, there are vertical lines in center of screen top to bottom where the "V" usually comes up on boot up and if I hit menu the vertical lines cover the left side of screen where the menu usually appears.

Comment

Do you have a picture of this fault? Maybe check the little mlcc caps on the panel driver board.

Comment

I will do some more checks tomorrow.

Comment

I found the white ribbon cables going to the side driver panel boards are damaged. I suspected the one on the left when I disconnected it during troubleshooting. The gold ribbon connectors between the 2 boards on each side dont look good either. Does anyone know where to get replacement ribbon cables?

Comment

This model has a history of bad panels and there are plenty of posts to confirm this and when the panel shorts it will take out the timing control board immediately. Take a picture of the damaged ribbon cables so we can see the damage. I wouldn't spend a dime on this Tv. Vizio sold a bunch of these and never owned up to the panel problem.

Comment

The cable on the right was disconnected when I replaced the main board and the tv powered up. I reconnected the cable but didnt notice it was damaged. When I powered it up again I had a good screen for a few seconds then it started flickering so I shut it down. when I disconnected the cable again I saw the damage and when I removed other cables, the contact ends seemed to peel. I am hoping with good ribbon cables that the screen is still good.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Having trouble with attachments. Sorry pics are blurry
                            Attached Files

Comment

One more
                              Attached Files

Comment

What did you do to those poor cables?

Comment

Those cables fit into connectors that have release mechanisms that allows for easy insertion. Some have flip-up levers and others side pressure release mechanisms.
                                  Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Damn. I've never seen ribbon cables burn up like that. Like I said before, don't spend a dime on that dump and just take it out for target practice. It's a fire hazard at this point.

Comment

I used the releases for the cables but the foil stuck to the contacts in spots. The further damage came from freeing them from under the frame.

Comment

Working...
                                      X