Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kdl-70w850b Possible Lightning Strike

Hello,

I have a SONY TV KDL-70W850B, i believe was struck by lightning. I turn on , and all i see( with Flash light ) are checkered board pattern on the display. any suggestions? I am new to the TV repair world, but have a very basic electrical/ electronics background.
    Last edited by Pontgta; 08-29-2022, 11:38 AM. Reason: Title Edit

Re: Kdl-70w850b Possible Lightning Strike

First thing after posting good pictures of boards will be sorting out backlight problem.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Does the set makes a standby led blinking error code?

Comment

maybe try a firmware update, in case the strike messed up the firmware, more likely to work if your indicator light is a steady green.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately i had to leave after the storm due to work. I am working out of town all week , so i will post pictures on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning of the board layout. .

The storm took out my cable modem, and Direct Tv receivers as well. I disconnected them, hoping the screen would come back , but no luck, definitely problem with the TV.

Comment

Anyway the back leds are much probably hit by strike and must be changed, the chess image is due probably to tcon firmware/settings eprom messed up... if you haven't got a dump and/or programming ability must be changed board.
            Last edited by Davi.p; 08-30-2022, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pontgta View Post
              The storm took out my cable modem, and Direct Tv receivers as well
              Had same thing happen a few weeks back. Fortunately via assistance from this forum and other online assistant/Youtubes, my problem was main board but only the HDMI inputs. Was able to score a Main board from a TV repair guy in Houston and am awaiting a usb he is mailing me with Firmware update since Sony Terminated updates for my model Jan this year.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109404

It appears you'll have to find someone also that can get you an update since Sony has terminated your model updates also Jan this year.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...850b/downloads

If you indeed have to do a firmware update and can find the update, suggest following Nicks's TV repair video !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYPjIHt8Lc
              Last edited by BubbaW; 08-30-2022, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BubbaW View Post
                Had same thing happen a few weeks back. Fortunately via assistance from this forum and other online assistant/Youtubes, my problem was main board but only the HDMI inputs. Was able to score a Main board from a TV repair guy in Houston and am awaiting a usb he is mailing me with Firmware update since Sony Terminated updates for my model Jan this year.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=109404

It appears you'll have to find someone also that can get you an update since Sony has terminated your model updates also Jan this year.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...850b/downloads

If you indeed have to do a firmware update and can find the update, suggest following Nicks's TV repair video !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kYPjIHt8Lc

I have the Firmware, if you need it. It was provided to me from a SONY authorized repair shop.

Comment

I have the Firmware, if you need it. It was provided to me from a SONY authorized repair shop.
                  Thanks but I would not know if it is the same for my TV....KDL-55HX800.
                  The fellow I bought main board from is sending update via snail mail on USB and should be here Thur. Did your guy give you a download link or on a USB drive ?

Comment

The Firmware is for the Kdl-70w850b. I received it Via DropBox Because its not available through the regular Sony site. I then used my own USB drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Davi.p View Post
                      Anyway the back leds are much probably hit by strike and must be changed, the chess image is due probably to tcon firmware/settings eprom messed up... if you haven't got a dump and/or programming ability must be changed board.

Can you explain this some more.. I am unsure what the "dump and/or programming ability" Does this require a special tool, and or special programing skill? Would it be easier to replace the board? Are we talking about the Main board or the TCON ?

Comment

The Firmware is for the Kdl-70w850b. I received it Via DropBox Because its not available through the regular Sony site. I then used my own USB drive.
                        so did you try the update?

Comment

requires an hardware programmer even of super low cost and some skill, i clearly refer to tcon
                          but you have 2 faults by the appearance, also bad leds

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                            so did you try the update?
                            I am out of town , but will definitely try it when i get home. I wanted to be prepared when i get there.

Comment

Ok, yes try the update first, I DOUBT very much that you have a backlight problem.

Comment

Hello,

Back at it.

I have 5 red blinking lights with the Tcon connected. If i inplug the Tcon the light do come on on the panel, i can see them in the dark. No image on the screen

]

Last edited by Pontgta; 09-02-2022, 07:37 PM.

Comment

So backlights are good. Maybe a firmware or t-con problem.
                                  I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Originally posted by dskall View Post
                                    So backlights are good. Maybe a firmware or t-con problem.
                                    I tried the firmware, but does not load. Only blue flashing light on the led. I need to see about getting a tcon board. I only get the “chess board display when : I power off , disconnect the Tcon from the main board, and “hot plug it in”. If i power on the display with Tcon connected , only 5 red blinking lights, no chess/ checkered board display.

Comment

Forgot to mention, with the TCON disconnect from the main board, i get a green light. The TCON connected to the main board and disconnected to from the panel, 5 red blinks.

Comment

Something not clear here, the first post tells that chekered image with no b.light, now b.l. is present and also checkered image when tcon hot plug, this is very strange so my diagnosis confirmed, bad tcon surely (tcon memory), and maybe a faulty b.l.

Comment

Working...
                                        X