Trying to figure out what part of my Samsung PN60E550 is defective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to figure out what part of my Samsung PN60E550 is defective

I have this plasma TV (Samsung PN60E550) from 2012 that I love and something in it got fried this January, funny smell and everything. I sent it to repair and apparently a board was replaced and it cost me 400 CAD. The other day I went to turn it on and again I see what I think is the same behaviour with the LED, which is a pattern that would go beep-beeeep, beep-beeeep if the light made a sound. No popping/clicking or burning smell though. Since it's past the warranty of the repair place I am trying to give it a go at it myself. I've opened it up and I can't spot any blown-up capacitors. Here's a picture of it, open:

I tried disconnecting each board to study the behaviour of the device and I made these notes:

- when only the power board is fed (the one at the centre) = LED is off. (makes sense since power is fed to it via the main board)

- when only the power board and the main board are fed - meaning, the power cable that feeds the left and right boards is disconnected = the LED flashes 5 times and goes off.

- power board + main board + right board only (power cable that feeds the left board is disconnected) = the LED does 1, 2, 3 long flashes, one short flash and another long flash, and it goes into the loop of "beep-beeeep, beep-beeeep" that I described above.

Any ideas on how I can isolate the issue? The image of this TV is still great, it has the 3D feature that I wouldn't want to miss on (yeah, I know, I'm one of those people lol)...

Thanks for any help.

Re: Trying to figure out what part of my Samsung PN60E550 is defective

Probably board on left side. And maybe buffer boards on left side of Y-sus board. Numerous fuses to check VA, VS voltages. Caution: high and deadly voltages in plasmas. You should have someone with you when checking to call the morgue, if you electrocute yourself.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

Show us a very good closeup of the entire LJ92-01859A Y-MAIN BOARD on the LEFT. Pay particular attention to everything in the upper left corner of that board and give us a close up of that corner, including everything from the transformer, out to the left edge and down to the center of that board.

Comment

Buffer board test there, make sure you are on the ground, if there's two boards be sure to test them both, next suspects for me would be the transistors on the heatsinks of y-sus, and x-sus boards, could be problem on more than one board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt0ARKkXC5I

Comment

can you see what the heartbeat led on the little control board is doing? looks like it's under the stand.

Comment

Working...
          X