Vizio V585-H11 No Image Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vizio V585-H11 No Image Puzzle

When plugged in, Vizio V585-H11 powers up, the standby light flashes 18 times, but there is simply no image on the screen. I can see a glow from the backlights, and the sound works. Tearing in to it, all voltages coming out of the Power Supply appear reasonable. I suspect a bad panel, so I disconnect one of the two wide ribbon cables between the T-Con board and the panel. Now the TV starts up fine without the 18 flashes, and with a good image on 1/2 of the screen. If I switch to the other ribbon cable, the TV again starts up fine, but now with a good image on the other 1/2 of the screen. Still the TV will not come on with a screen image with both ribbon cables connected. Now if I have the TV running with just one or the other ribbon cable connected, and I connect the second ribbon cable, then the other 1/2 of the screen comes on and the TV works fine with the whole screen appearing normal. So should I be suspecting a problem with the T-Con or perhaps with the panel?

Re: Vizio V585-H11 No Image Puzzle

I would say a voltage problem on t-con. Maybe a 12v supply problem to t-con. I would check voltages with half screen and voltages with full screen hooked up.
    I assume no responsibility for any stupid suggestions I might post.

Comment

I have the exact same TV and same problem...black screen with backlight on. After some troubleshooting, I have been able to get a display with the exception of one horizontal line that is visible.

To get the display working, I used the tape method and ended up blocking the first pin on the left t-con connector (to the panel - facing the back of the TV). With this, display came back with the exception of the one horizontal line.

When both sides of the display connected I get the black screen (with backlight on). and the following voltages:

Vin = 11.98v
      VGL = 0.164v
      AVCC = 0.003v

With Right Side ribbon (facing back of tv) cable connected I get:

Vin = 11.92v
      VGL = -6.112v
      AVCC = 15.81v

I get a good image on 1/2 the screen, white on the disconnected side and one horizontal line.

With left side ribbon cable connected I get:

Vin = 11.92v
      VGL = -6.114v
      AVCC = 15.82v

I get a distorted image (kind of like looking at a photo negative), but no horizontal line.

Then I experimented with the tape method on the left ribbon as that had the distorted image. When I tape approx the left 8 pins, the full image came back. I determined that I only needed to tape the first pin on the left to get a good image.

So great, got the image back. Now, I am trying to fix the horizontal line which seems to be caused by the right side. I taped lines 2-8 from the right side (thinking it was using the first signal pin since I blocked the other connector), but I just get a image with a few lines on the screen.

So, somehow by blocking only one pin on the left, it seemed to disable most if not all the signalling from the left and was using the right side signalling...at least thats what it seems.

So, I thought I might be able to use a combination of the left and right side to produce a perfect image since the signal goes to both sides, but it seems that is not the case.

So, my main question is based on the description, do I have a confirmed bad panel OR can this problem still be the t-con board? I don't want to order a t-con board if the panel is bad.

And if it is a bad panel, any suggestions on how I can get rid of the horizontal line?

Thanks for any suggestions. Hopefully the above will at least help others potentially get their image back (from a black screen).

Comment

The tape method doesn't fix a tcon problem. You are bypassing a short on panel side. Maybe only a bad cap on panel strips, or actual short in the panel.

Comment

Thx for the reply. I checked the pin that I blocked for continuity to ground and it showed no continuity (not sure if that is a valid test). I was thinking maybe the voltage regulator on the t-con was defective under load when both panels are connected causing VGL and AVCC to drop and blocking pin 1 was maybe disabling some load on the left panel enough for both to sort of work.

I wasn't sure how to test this.

Anyways, I already ordered a t-con board. Sounds like it may not help in this case, but we'll see.

Thx again for your help

Comment

Well it is possible that you might have a failing chip. I guess we will see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77ty...chaelDranfield

Comment

Thx. I guess while I wait for the t-con board I can try to test the caps.

Comment

Puzzle has been solved.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...88#post1166288

Comment

Working...
                X