X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Faulty LED floodlight driver

Hi All,

First post here.

Got a LED floodlight that filled up with water and am trying to repair it.

Steps taken;
    1. Cleaned up all water and plugged in to test function
    2. Driver board with no load spits out around 85VDC
    3. Soldered LED back on and the LED flashes straight away
    4. Also noticed one led on one of the rows was faulty causing the row to stop working - shorted that LED and now the row works
    5. After doing this the LED seemed to work be then flashed after about 5 mins of use
    6. Then went over the board and re-soldered all connections on the non SMD side
    7. Still flashing, so suspected faulty capacitor. All test within reasonable limits (100uf caps were around 90uf) except the MKP caps which test at 0uf

Ive read MKP caps are for AC line filtering and shouldnt affect function so am not really sure that is my issue.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what to try next?
    I am happy to replace the driver with a good quality replacement, but not sure what to pick as the SMD LEDs in diode mode read about 2.5V. Without knowing too much about how to size constant current drivers for LED arrays I would suspect I need something around 60-90VDC (as the LEDs are 24 in series)Looked on meanwells website cant see anything that might suit.
    Attached Files

Re: Faulty LED floodlight driver

how long ago was it drained? maube there is still moisture in the transformer.

also, check the solder joints carefully
    i wonder why only 1 track has lost it's laquer coating?

Comment

Was drained just before working on it and powering on. On first power on I could hear a sizzling noise and noticed there was indeed some water in the transformer.

I wonder if the transformer could be dried out or if its better to replace it? The only issue the transformer doesnt have any discernible markings for model numbers etc.

Yes its interesting only one track has lost its lacquer coating. It is the high voltage negative from the bridge rectifier if that helps solve the mystery?

Comment

i would put the board somewhere warm for a few days, or stick it in front of a fan heater for atleast 30mins to dry out
        you probably dont even have fan heaters in most of australia - not really a requirment!

Comment

It hasnt been used for about a week now so maybe worth giving it a go!

I actually have a split system in my shed because it gets down to a chilly 10 degrees some times!

Comment

thats almost beer fridge temperature!

Comment

Working...
            X