Sony KDL-46BX450 Inverter Troubleshoot Logic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony KDL-46BX450 Inverter Troubleshoot Logic

I am currently on a troubleshoot of 46” Sony KDL-46BX450 tv. I came back from Washington to Texas on medical emergency and had to leave all my tools up there. All I have is a couple of screwdrivers and a dvm. I wish to ask the community a troubleshooting question. Please forgive stupid questions as meds I am taking produce brain fog.
    I have well maintained Sony KDL-46BX450. It went black one day. After turn-on, I get solid green light and Sony logo in screen center for about 1-2 seconds, then black. No blinking LEDs, no hissing. Flashlight test shows screen characters dimly viewable, so tv is probably ok, just no backlight. After taking apart, I measured voltages on the Samsung SS1460_12F01 inverter board connector CN6401, with power on, which matched what others had reported for this board. They were:

Stby: 3.3v
    AC Off: 3.04v
    Power On: 3.29v
    Audio 12: 12.6v
    Audio 12: 12.6v
    Audio Gnd: 0v
    Audio Gnd: 0v
    Reg. 12v: 12.6v
    Reg. 12v: 12.6v
    BL-EER: 1.64v
    BL On: 3.12v
    TCon Vcc12: 12.56v
    TCon On: 3.31v

I pulled the inverter board up and gave it a close inspection, no hot spots revealed, solder looked in good condition. Careful inspection of caps revealed all in good condition, Rubycon type caps. Board looks like it has six transformers to drive the ccfl tubes (three dual transformers top, center and bottom pn# 340158AD). Measurement of each of six transformer secondaries in ohms is from top to bottom:
    1. 1297
    2. 1367
    3. 1389
    4. 1393
    5. 1388
    6. 1391

Although topmost transformer 1 is 6.89% lower than the highest #4, it is not burn-up. Maybe has shorted across several windings enough to lower the resistance a little.

Obviously, the easy troubleshoot is substitution with good board. If still bad, then ccfls likely bad. However, I don't have that luxury. I know these transformers and or inverter boards are pretty much impossible to find this side of China. So I had an idea.

As I understand, reading from many badcaps posts, bad backlight could be bad inverter board or bad ccfl, Any single failure with inverter transformer or single ccfl will shut down the entire backlight within a second or two. I think this explains the Sony logo visible for the first few seconds in screen center.

I assume that the ccfls are arranged in six strips across the set running horizontally from top to bottom each driven from one of the six transformers. I assume that if I can see the Sony logo in the center before the backlight board shuts down, then the center transformer and center ccfl set must be ok. If that is a valid assumption, then could I swap the transformer in question (top of set) with the assumed good one (center of set) and see if the Sony logo is visible before shutdown again. If it is not, then that is a bad transformer, if it is visible, then likely the top ccfl is bad. Is this reasonable or faulty logic? Is there a better way to isolate the fault without additional components or tools beyond a DVM?
    Attached Files

Re: Sony KDL-46BX450 Inverter Troubleshoot Logic

Lamps 12 .
    1- 340158AD probably faulty .
    Last edited by kasfamily; 09-24-2022, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks Kasfamily, by your note, I assume you are correcting my mistaken assumption of 6 lamps for the unit, whereas 12 is the correct number. I also believe that the most likely culprit is transformer #1.

However, the point of my post was to pose a troubleshooting logic question. if I just unsoldered transformer #1 and swapped it with the center transformer wouldn't the failure follow the assumed bad transformer and thus no longer give the Sony logo 2 seconds of light in the screen center at startup?

I am trying to do this to ensure the considerable effort going to get a replacement board or transformer is going to fix it. Thanks so much for giving me some of your time to help me puzzle this out..Caseyjay_48

Comment

If you swap the transformers, nothing will change in the behavior of the TV. Maybe only the brightness of the screen will decrease in the central part.

Comment

It will probably be difficult to find such a transformer.
          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50209

Comment

Thanks kassfamily, for your analysis. You said it will only show a small change in ccfl brightness when swapping an out of spec transformer for a good one. Is the reason that a small change in transformer secondary will always trigger the board shutdown even though it might not be enough to be noticed by the eye?

As regards your comment on the difficulty of finding transformers, I am searching through ebay for a replacement transformer board which might have a least one good transformer on it. Are you aware of any other boards except the Samsung SS1460_12F01, that contain the 340158AD transformer?

Comment

You probably didn't understand me, I wrote that if you rearrange your the transformers on your board, nothing will change.
              A decrease in the winding resistance indicates an inter-turn short circuit and of course the protection will work and turn off the TV.
              You write the name of the inverter with an error, you need SSI460.....
              I while don't know where else there are such transformers...

Comment

I understand you now. Also did not notice the misspell on the part number. Have ordered a replacement board due in a month. Will report back on results of repair when it comes in. Thanks

Comment

It's Alive !! My Sony TV Fixed with your Help

Hello All, I got my replacement inverter board (Samsung SS1460_12F01) from Ebay's seller christmas2carol. I checked the secondary resistances and all measured 1320 ohms +/- 10 ohms. So I swapped it out with the bad one and the screen lit up and said Welcome to me. I am so happy that I was able to resurrect this Sony which had one foot in the dumpster back to life again. None of it would have been possible without all of your help. Special shout-out to kassfamily for taking special interest it this. The replacement board was about $40 US plus shipping.

Comment

Congratulations on solving the problem.

Comment

you did test the fuse on your inverter board correct?

Comment

Yes, the fuse was good, but as was posted earlier, my transformer secondary impedences had one way out of tolerance, thus my replacement of the board.

Comment

ok, must have been 1 then.

Comment

Working...
                          X