MSI P965 NEO - Question about capacitor type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI P965 NEO - Question about capacitor type

I have MSI P965 NEO motherboard which is not working OK. When I received it there was couple bad OST capacitors which I replaced, those were located here and there. The board does power up each time and you can configure BIOS etc, but when you try to boot Ubuntu or Windows it crashes, Ubuntu throws kernel panic while when booting Windows it might just shut down. This leads me to believe it is problem with processor stability and with capacitors surrounding the socket to be exact as the processor is known good. Those caps surrounding the socket are OST branded RLA 680uf 4V. They don't look bad but as far as I know with OST it is quite common for them to fail while still looking healthy.

Couple questions:

1) Does this sound like the problem is those caps?
    2) If it is, can I use these to replace them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shippin...ht_2302wt_1114
    Last edited by thewk; 06-20-2012, 04:37 AM.

Re: MSI P965 NEO - Question about capacitor type

Of course you can. Those a high quality (just look at the bong of the cap) genuine Panasonic caps.

Caps come from China at a low price from Ebay. I really can't see any problems, what so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Northen View Post
      Of course you can. Those a high quality (just look at the bong of the cap) genuine Panasonic caps.

Caps come from China at a low price from Ebay. I really can't see any problems, what so ever.
      Never ever buy caps off of Ebay. There is a high probability that they are fakes. Only buy caps from reputable authorized distributors such as Mouser, Digikey, and of course here.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Lurker View Post
        Never ever buy caps off of Ebay. There is a high probability that they are fakes. Only buy caps from reputable authorized distributors such as Mouser, Digikey, and of course here.
        Try reading my post one more time, wait a minute and think of it...

Comment

Those caps (in the picture on ebay) are actually Panasonic FL.
          These are wet lytics without a vent. You can commonly find those on somewhat older MSI mid-range motherboards. I've done a full recap on one of those boards, and the ones I've desoldered look 100% identical, right down to the circle bung.
          Just because it has a simple bung doesn't mean it's a cheapo chinese crapcap. The rubber bung on Sanyo OSCONs is flat too for example.

I'd still not buy from that seller though, because you might get something completely different to what's in the picture (i.e. possibly junk or fake caps).

If it really has to be from ebay for some reason, there are only 2 sellers I'd trust personally, namely audjade_chn and egekecu (a.k.a. the PC Motherboard Capacitor Store).

Comment

Well there is no other reason of buying from eBay than price, capacitors are quite more expensive if I buy them from reseller here in Finland and then repairing this board might not be worth it because I might get fully working one nearly same price. I know that it is risky when buying from eBay but so far there hasn't been problems, altough I've always used bit higher rated caps than what is stated in the originals and those on that auction are not...

Comment

you can give a try.... if you gotta fakes... then bad luck,
              and yes..... for the ost capacitor, i had those problems too, after replacement, it works well.

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2-Pcs-Pa...item231c4e34bb

same seller, definitely fakes.

I'd replace them with 560uF polymer caps like http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Sanyo-SEPC...item45ef447fe1 , and fill up the empty spots with them. I do it on every MSI board I get with bad caps, and it works every time
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                  But he has a 99.7% positive rating!

Has anybody reported him to eBay for selling counterfeits?
                  Last edited by larrymoencurly; 07-29-2012, 12:47 AM.

Comment

He gets positive feedback because no one realises his caps are fake. The seller's feedback rating isn't a good indication of whether their stuff is genuine.
                    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

This motherboard / PC -project has been on ice for some time but now I'm back to it.

Situation is that I was unable to get picture on every boot so I replaced to caps made by Teapo, even though they didn't look faulty. Now it seems that I can get picture every time. However, sometimes it still requires couple attempts to actually be stable. This morning I used the PC several hours once I got it running after which I shut it down. After some waiting I was back again with the booting problems. I have also noticed that it seems that only those two memory slots which are close to CPU work, if I put RAM sticks on those other two the mobo wont boot, no picture. I have updated BIOS to the latest. I have tried with anoter power supply and I have different graphics card now, no change. There are (atleast) three tiny OST caps left, 470uf 10V, from what I have read, even OST has usually managed to make those smaller caps to last but I'm not sure, should I replace them also? Again, none of the caps look faulty.

http://aijaa.com/vF7Ip2

PCI diganostic card gives error code 45 when I put a memory on one of those faulty slots. At that stage on booting I guess it is memory check so mobo hangs there.
                      Last edited by thewk; 10-18-2012, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X