Corsair PSU faults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corsair PSU faults

Out of a recently purchased batch of 5 of their TX650 V2 PSUs, one was dead on arrival and two of them failed within 2 weeks. One just quietly stopped working and the other scared the daylights out of the owner, "like a gunshot" he said. (Sorry but I had to laugh !! he said he was sipping his coffee at the time and the bang made his arm jerk. He's still finding the remnants of the spill !!

Anyway.. Enough high jinks, what I wanted to say was their RMA numbering system SEEMS to point to a very high volume of returns/complaints ?
    The first issued 'case' number was 5108093 the second 2 weeks later was 5146032. Thats 37939 customer contacts in 2 weeks !!!! Wow ! Is Corsair on the down slide here or do you think this is typical of global sales numbers ?

Certainly has me wary of buying more from them, up to now they've been pretty good.
    Last edited by Gariarto; 10-09-2012, 08:13 AM. Reason: spell correct

Re: Corsair PSU faults

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22680
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22294

They suck! Avoid them!

Comment

I haven't read the threads yet, but I have a Corsair model CMPSU-400CX (400 watts), and it's been working well since I installed it several years ago.

Comment

I was almost tempted to buy a CX400v2 when building an experimental desktop PC last year. The TX650 was not exactly in my price range. I didn't buy either.

That OP's first paragraph made me laugh, though.
        Recovering a BEFSR41 v1 and v2 router from solid red DIAG Light
        I have two v2s and one v1.

I am still looking at these boards nearly every day.

What I'm doing: Planning an upgrade of my mining setup from Block Erupters to Red Furys. Though, if the Block Erupters don't sell, I will keep using them for a while.

Comment

The TX 650 V2 is a verry different platform to the CX600. If anything, It's Seasonic who are going downhill.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

^ Yes indeed.

Found this pic of the TX650 on jonnyguru:

Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              If anything, It's Seasonic who are going downhill.
              I've seen it mentioned they were built by Seasonic before, I've also seen Channel Well named as an OEM manufacturer of theirs too. Don't know how good they are/were. I was and 'am still a buying fan of PC Power & Cooling which I recently learned have their 'Silencer' series made by Seasonic too. So far, since I settled on PC, P&C I've had zero failures (about 2 years ish) from their product. I wanted to give Corsair a try because their pricing was a little better. So endeth the lesson. If PC P&C quality drops (seasonic)... THEN where do I jump ?
              Last edited by Gariarto; 10-09-2012, 07:41 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                ^ Yes indeed.

Found this pic of the XFX Core edition 650W on Kitguru:

Fixed

I think that's an XFX power supply going by the case, but I think it's pretty much the same PSU in a different case
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I keep saying, we need a badcaps.net brand PSU

lol @ c_hegge
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It depends on the production date.

Some of the latest TX v2 are again CWT, some (750w model is Hipro according to a Jonnyguru member)... but the Corsair rep says Chicony based: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9378

You can only tell by looking on the insides or by the UL number on the label - if Corsair didn't do the certifications again to use their UL number.
                    CWT designs can be spotted easily by the dark green label on the main transformer.... when it's there.

Comment

I like Ben7's idea of a Badcaps PSU. I'd buy them.
                      How about a PCB and component kit that can be used in an otherwise useless casing ? I'd DEFINITELY buy those. Serious.. 300W, 500W and 750W guts kits.

I can stop canning old PSUs then.

Comment

I got three Corsair CMPSU-500CX for a customer, great items no problems at all.
                        Some times bad transport or bad luck, can spoil the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiriakos GR View Post
                          I got three Corsair CMPSU-500CX for a customer, great items no problems at all.
                          Some times bad transport or bad luck, can spoil the day.
                          I agree but it puts a crimp in your rep when you appear to be recommending bad
                          hardware. An unwritten advertising law says it takes ten good reports to fix one bad one. Personally I hate crap going wrong when its beyond your control.
                          Thankfully most of my customers know and trust what I do, but it does reflect poorly on you when it happens.

Comment

If one product fails in the warranty period, is not that tragic, as story.

About the story "like a gunshot" it happened to me, to my own system.
                            One high priced / high Watts / PSU after of two years of service, it did sounded "like a gunshot".
                            It was have three years warranty, with few emails to Holland and 30EUR / 40$ shipping,
                            the problem solved in two weeks, and I got the latest "Healthy" REV too.

Comment

I had a TX850W. The v12v2 (PCI-E) handled two overpowered cards with grace until the actual connector burned. It probably handled close to 850W. Was a tough son of a bitch. Second one I got in replacement died too but, other reasons. My cousin has a TX750W still going strong
                              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

As professional Electrician I am aware of how a troublesome MAINS line, it can effect electrical devices.
                                Especially if you are living far out of one well organized and controlled power grid, for example one farm house.

I am always using a UPS device for having extra stability plus run-time.
                                And I am suggesting it also to everyone, so to protect their devices from one danger that you are not able to see.
                                And this is the famous over-voltage, which is able to destroy the input of one PSU.

Comment

Working...
                                X